As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying beta games (pre-orders with beta)

cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
What's the consensus on the 'mount n blade' model of making a game available for pre-order whilst in playable beta? Do people consider this to be a good or a bad thing?

On the plus side, I think this allows the developer to judge the likely interest in the game, and plan accordingly, as well as providing tons of feedback on how it plays from real paying customers before its declared finished. It also allows you to morph the game design more to the expectations of the gamers, rather than the designer.

On the negative side, people are paying for a game that isn't actually finished yet, and may not be understanding that this would mean a less stable and polished game at that point. It also runs the risk that people will write reviews and comments about an unfinished game judging it as though it's finished, generating bad publicity.

Mount N Blade seemed to avoid all the negatives, but are they a real risk?

Under what circumstances would you plonk down real cash to pre-order an indie game, that was in playable beta (given that you get access to the playable beta at that point). Do you need to have a discount on the final price to tempt you? would you just wait for the 1.0 release?

cliffski on

• Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't this no different from any other situation...except you actually get to try the game before you decide whether or not to buy it? People should realize they're playing the beta and not the final version...they're taking a risk if they plop money down for the preorder, but why would they pre-order it if they weren't already enjoying it? I guess I don't see the problems involved in this model...

I mean, either you pre-order a game and hope you like it when it eventually ships...

Or you get to play the beta, and get a good idea of what the game is like before deciding whether or not to preorder. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mount & Blade was playable for free long before it ever became available for "pre-order". In other words, the dev had garnered a lot of good will and word of mouth before he ever even remotely tried selling it.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Plus, people are really lax with judging Mount and Blade because it's a very tiny developer. If it was a full-blown company, people would have been up in arms if the dev just kind of petered out and declared it done.

So, I think M&B avoiding the negatives is a special case. I think it would be a terrible idea for a normal game.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But to address your question in another way: I'd be fine playing betas - and they'd have to be well-polished betas - for commercial games I knew I was interested in already (say, World of Warcraft). On the other hand, offering me a beta (if I have to pre-purchase the game at full price) for a game that I'm not sure I want - well, that just wouldn't make sense for me.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought this thread was going to be about Sony making people pre-order KillZone 2 in order to get an early look at the demo.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    well as an indie dev myself, the reason I ask is it's something I'd consider doing with my next game. I'd love to have real paying gamers chip in before the games finished and tell me frankly what sucks. The only problem I see is people assuming that any bugs or issues or lack of polish will be in the final game, and never checking back.
    What I'm imagining is having a demo of the beta, and the full version beta copy is available to people who pre-order. Essentially, you just start selling version 0.9 (maybe at a discount) and everyone gets an automatic update to the latest version as you work towards 1.0.
    How does that sound?

cliffski on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Effectively, you are asking people to pay you to beta test your game, a service that many companies pay employees for? This could rub people the wrong way. I know some companies do it already, but you seem to want more out of it. Plus, their beta codes are usually given out because they need to test software with an online component that is impossible to otherwise test.

If you're making smaller, offline games, you should just have the open demo/beta, only giving constructive feedback leads to getting a discount on the final product. Unfortunately, this does exactly the opposite of what you hoped to do...

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've generally been okay with StarDock doing it.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I personally shelled out 10 bucks for Mount & Blade way back in like 2005. The game was a blast then, and even better now. When I bought it, it was basically like buying a cheap but awesome game that was probably just going to get better. I felt like I was personally donating to the game's cause rather than buying something in retail.

Fortunately, now that I have started playing again, the game is a million times better. But it could have very easily died out and that would be that.

I think it comes down to whether the devs can show that they are working hard to eventually put out a solid, fun product.

Edit: Of course, the deal with Mount & Blade was that you were getting the full (albiet in progress) game on the spot for 10 dollars. Trying to push a pre-order to play sort of deal could backfire.

Hell, I pre-ordered and shipped in Hellgate London just to get in the beta. Look how that turned out.

pantsy on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    pantsy wrote: »
    I personally shelled out 10 bucks for Mount & Blade way back in like 2005. The game was a blast then, and even better now. When I bought it, it was basically like buying a cheap but awesome game that was probably just going to get better.

This is the key. The game must be in a state that whatever you are charging seems fair to a lot of people regardless of what happens later.

Then you can possibly build up some word of mouth.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As the post above pretty much says, you have to have things polished to such a degree that it doesn't feel like a beta for it to go really well. Many MMOs have done this but only have a number of other betas that get most of the kinks out.

It isn't so common for single player titles. I've certainly never went for a preorder beta offer for one. Going through an experience that will be pretty static between beta and release doesn't have the same appeal. But if there's a strong multiplayer component, it becomes more tempting. Sessions against/with other players tend to have more longevity.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cliffski wrote: »
    What I'm imagining is having a demo of the beta, and the full version beta copy is available to people who pre-order. Essentially, you just start selling version 0.9 (maybe at a discount) and everyone gets an automatic update to the latest version as you work towards 1.0.
    How does that sound?

That is exactly what happened with Mount & Blade, except at no point was it called a pre-order. It was a fully playable game in its own right, you were paying less for it because it was pre-1.0, and once the retail version was released you could upgrade to that. It wasn't missing huge features or anything, just rough around the edges and in need of tweaks (quite a lot of them actually).

Basically it was for sale before it was finished.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    M&B also avoided the practice of dumping all of the features into the game and then trying to fix the mess. Features felt more or less finished when they were introduced, and those that didn't were put in for the sake of mods and not the base game.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    How does that sound?

That is exactly what happened with Mount & Blade, except at no point was it called a pre-order. It was a fully playable game in its own right, you were paying less for it because it was pre-1.0, and once the retail version was released you could upgrade to that. It wasn't missing huge features or anything, just rough around the edges and in need of tweaks (quite a lot of them actually).

From what I saw of the demo early on, that wasn't really the case at all. The engine was mostly complete, sure, but the actual content of the game barely existed. All you could really do was trade, roam around killing people, and fight in the arena.

That reminds me, did the original-style (other than the ones in the tournaments, but those are difficult to reach if you're at war) arena fights get removed completely? I miss them.

jothki on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    How does that sound?

From what I saw of the demo early on, that wasn't really the case at all. The engine was mostly complete, sure, but the actual content of the game barely existed. All you could really do was trade, roam around killing people, and fight in the arena.

That reminds me, did the original-style (other than the ones in the tournaments, but those are difficult to reach if you're at war) arena fights get removed completely? I miss them.

Well I didn't get the game til version 0.95 or so, so I'm likely wrong.

And do you mean where they put you in the arena with training weapons and it's a free-for-all, to knock out as many guys as you can? Cos they're still in.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    How does that sound?

Well I didn't get the game til version 0.95 or so, so I'm likely wrong.

And do you mean where they put you in the arena with training weapons and it's a free-for-all, to knock out as many guys as you can? Cos they're still in.

No, 2 to 4 man teams with training weapons. Sort of like the tournaments, except that you could do it whenever.

jothki on