Options

Stimulus packages

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Wait, you guys want more spending?

On what!? What the hell happened to pay-go?! I could see how this bill was necessary, but now you're crossing some fucking lines

Health Insurance/Care Reform, SAFETEA-LU 2 (seeing how SAFETEA-LU expires in September...what would you have us do?), Cap and Trade (Preferably with dividends. Well, preferably a tax with dividends but that ain't gonna happen), the annual budget for FY-2010, continuing resolution or supplementary spending or whatever the fuck they call it when we pay our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan... I'm sure there are numerous things that I'm overlooking.

moniker on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My god, the bastards admit it:
    Yeah, no, Glenn. I’m not gonna, look, I’m not going to soft pedal this with you. I’m not going to try to blow smoke either. The reality of it is, you are absolutely right. You have absolutely no reason, none, to trust our word or our actions at this point. So, yeah, it’s going to be an uphill climb.

wait what? is this re: passing of the bailout being seen as a betrayal of the Republican base?

valiance on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    On what!? What the hell happened to pay-go?! I could see how this bill was necessary, but now you're crossing some fucking lines

Bush and the Republican majority murdered it, buried it, and then buried the shovel.

You admit this spending was necessary, how can you then say this is exactly the right amount? How do you know that this necessary spending isn't too small or poorly aimed or wasted as tax cuts?

To exclude the possibility of further spending being needed while simultaneously saying this spending was needed either presumes perfection or is condescending demagoguery.

What exactly will happen if after this bill, we do nothing?

The government would shut down in October, we'd stop continuing maintenance on most of the Federal Highway System and a lot of freight rail projects that are given Federal funding or assistance, our military would run out of gas over the course of the year both literally and figuratively, some other stuff.

moniker on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Bush and the Republican majority murdered it, buried it, and then buried the shovel.

You admit this spending was necessary, how can you then say this is exactly the right amount? How do you know that this necessary spending isn't too small or poorly aimed or wasted as tax cuts?

To exclude the possibility of further spending being needed while simultaneously saying this spending was needed either presumes perfection or is condescending demagoguery.

The government would shut down in October, we'd stop continuing maintenance on most of the Federal Highway System and a lot of freight rail projects that are given Federal funding or assistance, our military would run out of gas over the course of the year both literally and figuratively, some other stuff.

Our military needs to fucking stop. And how would the government shut down?

Obs on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Our military needs to fucking stop.

Bush Administration sort of made that impossible to even muse about.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

See Bush the Elder's entry in any quality history book.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WILL THEY PLEASE DROP THE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE ARGUMENT

NOBODY WANTS TO BRING IT BACK

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

So you want supplies to stop heading to our FOB's in Iraq and Afghanistan so that our soldiers are required to forage/steal food and water? Interesting.

And I'd figure that a government shutdown now would behave similarly to the government shutdown in '95.

moniker on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

So you want supplies to stop heading to our FOB's in Iraq and Afghanistan so that our soldiers are required to forage/steal food and water? Interesting.

And I'd figure that a government shutdown now would behave similarly to the government shutdown in '95.

I want those motherfuckers to be brought back here.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I want those motherfuckers to be brought back here.

You also don't want the government to spend a dime past the ARRA. This sort of paradox would cause a Turing machine to explode.

moniker on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And the GOP begin eating their own.

At a certain point, you have to start wondering if the Republican learning curve has a negative slope.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

At a certain point, you have to start wondering if the Republican learning curve has a negative slope.

I like how they mention the CBO, presumably continuing to cite the first fake CBO report.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I swear if i never hear the word pork again it'll be too soon.

Starcross on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    t'd be cool to see Collins and Snowe go Independent

Anyone now if they'd carry the clout to do it?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, you guys want more spending?

At this point, Keynesian economics would dictate that since there are no policy tools available to the government other than spending, you should spend, spend, spend.

FDR and Japan in the 90s didn't spend enough by this rubric; the lesson being, if you're in a deflationary/depression trap, you've got to spend big. Since the estimate run that we're gonna lose 2 trillion dollars of expected growth, we should be spending at least that much to cover the gap.

Normally, in "good times", Keynesian economics would dictate that government spending should be kept reasonable and let the market do its thing, since government funded projects can crowd out private ones. But in a climate where there is very little new economic activity generated by private interests, the government is the only actor capable of stimulating new growth. It should do this- via spending- until the economy recovers and then stop.

For example, WW2 put is in debt to the tune of 120% of GDP (we're at 70% now). We got all that back in a very short time because WW2 was massive government spending on education, infrastructure, etc, all of which paid off in the long run. Had FDR launched a WW2 level spending campaign in 1933, the depression would have been over sooner. As it was, he only spent enough to ward off total societal collapse, not enough to pull us entirely out of the depression- but not because a Keynesian stimulus is a bad idea, but because you have to go big or go home.

Now, that's the theory, and like everything with economics, is subject to a lot of debate with lots and lots of valid counter-arguments. But the Democrats are basically Keynesian in economic outlook and that's the theory they're adopting. And so in that context, damn right we want more spending.

The problem is that public policy usually gets compromised by competing ideologies and interests, and it's difficult to have precision in public policy instruments because in an economic crisis like this one, a tool you use in a given phase of fixing it might not necessarily be a good tool to use for the following phase, and that kind of agility and flexibility in policy response is not really a trait that a government usually has.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Republicans: THIS BILL NEEDS MORE BIPARTISANSHIP!!

Four Republicans vote for it.

Republicans: THOSE GUYS ARE DUMB AND STUPID, HATE THEM FOR AGREEING WITH THE OTHER SIDE AND NOT US!!!

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Omeks wrote: »

Republicans: THOSE GUYS ARE DUMB AND STUPID, HATE THEM FOR AGREEING WITH THE OTHER SIDE AND NOT US!!!

My "cognitive dissonance" detector is going nuts right now. Do they even think before they knee-jerk react to everything?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, the idea is to run a surplus during the boom phase so that you can afford to spend your way through the bust phase. Clinton was on the right track with this, though Dubya absolutely ruined it.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, the idea is to run a surplus during the boom phase so that you can afford to spend your way through the bust phase. Clinton was on the right track with this, though Dubya absolutely ruined it.

Well, it's more that you should be spending money in recessions and paring back during growth. That doesn't require a rainy day fund so much as just actually paying down the debt you incurred in the down years rather than continuing to spend like a drunken sailor. Plus everything's cheaper in a Recession. Contractors are looking for work, rather than turning it away, so you can build something on the cheap without cutting corners. Just don't get raped with change orders.

moniker on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, it's more that you should be spending money in recessions and paring back during growth. That doesn't require a rainy day fund so much as just actually paying down the debt you incurred in the down years rather than continuing to spend like a drunken sailor. Plus everything's cheaper in a Recession. Contractors are looking for work, rather than turning it away, so you can build something on the cheap without cutting corners. Just don't get raped with change orders.
    Well yeah, but either way you need a surplus. Has any Republican ever acknowledged Clinton's fiscal responsibility?

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Omeks wrote: »

Three. Blanche Lincoln voted against it but her seat is up and she apparently made one too many googly-eyes in the Dems' direction.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

“It is not about them being disloyal to the Republican Party, they’re being disloyal to the country," Wheeler added.
    If that were the case behind these ads, they'd have ads for the entirety of the Democrats too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

“It is not about them being disloyal to the Republican Party, they’re being disloyal to the country," Wheeler added.
    If that were the case behind these ads, they'd have ads for the entirety of the Democrats too.

You think they don't?

moniker on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You think they don't?

I never hear anything about it. I mean, they attack the stimulus bill, but not necessarily the people involved aside from Obama and his cabinet.

Again, I never hear anything about it. I guess everyone I know that pays attention to politics (which is funny because most everyone I know at the moment is Republican and don't pay attention) manages to ignore it all.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

You think they don't?

I never hear anything about it. I mean, they attack the stimulus bill, but not necessarily the people involved aside from Obama and his cabinet.

Again, I never hear anything about it. I guess everyone I know that pays attention to politics (which is funny because most everyone I know at the moment is Republican and don't pay attention) manages to ignore it all.
    I'm guessing that's because Republicans aren't quite that retarded. They may imply that all Democrats are anti-American terrorist lovers, but they aren't going to come right out and say it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I saw a linked story on Marc Ambinder's blog the other day.

When you think about it, barring a huge sea change the Democrats are likely to get above 60 seats in the senate in 2010, even if the overall issues favor the Republicans, just because of the seats that are coming up. And there isn't much chance the Republicans are going to erase the 100+ deficit in the house.

And then again, barring things going very very badly, I doubt really strong Republican candidates are going to run against Obama in 2012, plus presidential election years favor Democrats in Congress.

I think the Democrats are going to be in the drivers seat until at least 2014, even if they lose their 60+ in the senate in 2012.

Speaker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And in 2005 no one thought Obama could win and no one expected the Democrats to take Congress back in 2006. Yes the map is good in 2010, but I'm not comfortable in saying anything beyond that.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am confused. That was generally Republican in viewpoint and....uh...funny.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am confused. That was generally Republican in viewpoint and....uh...funny.

I know.

So refreshing.

Speaker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The halitosis and sweaty palms sold it.

Unfortunately, I come bearing more stupid. Let's go ahead and just bold all the arguments I would categorize as tired, old, and arrrrrgggggh. (I will decline to bold the entire thing, as that would defeat the purpose of the exercise.)
    There's a law that liberals (note: just imagine I bold every instance of the word 'liberal') always shatter. (And no, I'm not talking about tax law.) It's the law of unintended consequences. Actually it's not so much liberals per se that break it so much as it seems liberal thinking by definition always runs afoul of this law. Leftist policy always hangs itself if given enough rope.

The liberals now have the entire stage with a very liberal President, extreme leftists in control of Congress, and the main stream media. Liberal failure has nowhere to hide and no one to hide behind. So as the Obama administration attempts to attack the country's economic woes, they find themselves stepping in one pile of liberal policy do-do after another. You might say that the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The world will have to watch as liberal policy for problem A destroys Obama goals for problem B and so on.

Consider: with Obama, Reid and Pelosi screaming for the country to accept a ridiculous stimulus package to create jobs, jobs, jobs -- liberals in Chicago are standing in the way of a Wal-Mart Super Center that would bring in construction and retail jobs to the messiah's hometown. By the way, liberals will also keep the lowest cost provider of food and clothes and home goods from being accessed by hurting Chicagoans.

The reason? The liberal principle of protecting union jobs at all costs. Remember, behind every economic disaster is a powerful union. And sometimes a community organizer.

Which leads to another example. Union jobs at the big three auto makers have been supported for years by the high priced and high profit SUVs and pick up trucks. Of course, liberal environmentalists have long made the SUV a target, while limiting domestic energy production. Greenies are doing everything they can to destroy the SUV, and with it, many union jobs, and almost succeeded during the last energy price spike.

Oh, and should we mention the fact that those oil rig jobs that pay a ton of money to mostly union members cannot be had here thanks to drilling restrictions in this country? The Russians and Venezuelans send their thanks to American liberals.

But it gets better. This contradiction, which has been predictable for anyone with some linear thinking ability, has escaped the minds of millions of Michigan voters educated by the liberal-controlled public school system. They have for decades voted for politicians illogically holding pro-green yet pro-UAW positions simultaneously. Voters of that very liberal state have no one to blame but themselves. They voted themselves out of an economy over a period of years. This is the state where Obama went to pick up a good share of his economic advisors. No wonder it is home to the Detroit Lions.

Meanwhile, back in Washington and New York, liberals in Congress and in the media are having a field day chastising corporations for buying jets, hiring contractors to renovate posh office suites, and giving big bonuses to executives.

Well guess what? Buying jets, hiring upper end contractors and giving bonuses stimulate the economy. It is job friendly. And that's what we need now, right?
    Oops. More liberal fertilizer. Liberalism simply cannot get out of its own way. Especially hurt is lefty New York, where the economy is reeling from a number of factors.

But of course, the liberal tenet of wealth envy is paramount to common sense. And apparently, to jobs. Speaking of which, if you break down the Starbucks corporate jet issue, it is especially delicious with unintended consequences.

The coffee purveyor, you remember, was mercilessly raked across the media's coals for taking delivery on a 45 million dollar jet while it was closing stores and laying off barristas. So they cancelled the jet order.

Think about that. Starbuck's deposit on the jet was lost, which is foolish under any circumstances. Further, that jet is now back "on the showroom floor" so to speak, reducing by one the need to manufacture such planes. So to keep some "hamburger flipper" type jobs that liberals make fun of, many high paying jet manufacturing jobs were lost. The only thing stimulating about that equation is the Starbucks caffeine.

And we could go on like this simply with stories from today's headlines. It's a fact of life. Liberal policies in action always cave in on themselves. They always have.

Take liberal Neville Chamberlain and his appeasement of Hitler in the 30's. (Note: Godwin. You lose.) We must have "peace in our time." How did that work out? It took a violent victory, not a phony peace, to bring lasting peace. The peace effort led to a stronger Hitler and ultimately millions more deaths than "war mongering" policies would have led to.

Look back at 9-11. Some thirty years of liberal policies regarding intelligence gathering, intelligence sharing and prosecuting terrorists led to an attack that killed three thousand Americans in, well, two of the nations' most liberal cities. You cannot say this in polite company, but statistically some 90% of the victims likely voted for the policies that led to the dreadful day. Shhhhh.

Think about abortion. The feminist movement has called this a women's issue. It is defined as the ultimate right for women. Fine. The result? The most likely fetus on the planet to be aborted is a female in China. That's women's rights we can believe in, right? Talk about the circle of life -- er -- death.

Consider school choice. This issue is demagogued by the teachers' unions above all else. These are unions who are obsessed with raising teacher pay. What would be the teacher pay result of a broad school choice program? It would be the equivalent of "free agency" for good teachers and administrators. Think about what free agency has done for pay for athletes. Another circular liberal firing squad in action.

Take California's government cash meltdown. The main culprit is retiree benefits for unionized government workers in the state. And of course, the result is that current unionized government workers are being laid off, furloughed and not hired. More liberal on liberal crime.

And let's not forget Europe and their coddling of Islamists for decades. Their payback is a near takeover of European society by gangs and street violence, not to mention ridiculous rules and regulations in airports and schools and other public places.

Liberalism's failure is universal because liberalism embraces a false view of human nature as perfectible, if only the right political arrangements exist . And it would be funny, except that the consequences are so devastating to so many people. And so often the victims are the very liberals the policy was supposed to protect.

The only good news is this: with liberal Democrats front and center on all stages governmental now, they will be opposed by a much more formidable foe than a Republican President and a Congress dying to just get along. They will be opposed by the obvious truth of their bankrupt philosophy.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

Unfortunately, I come bearing more stupid. Let's go ahead and just bold all the arguments I would categorize as tired, old, and arrrrrgggggh. (I will decline to bold the entire thing, as that would defeat the purpose of the exercise.)
    There's a law that liberals (note: just imagine I bold every instance of the word 'liberal') always shatter. (And no, I'm not talking about tax law.) It's the law of unintended consequences. Actually it's not so much liberals per se that break it so much as it seems liberal thinking by definition always runs afoul of this law. Leftist policy always hangs itself if given enough rope.

The liberals now have the entire stage with a very liberal President, extreme leftists in control of Congress, and the main stream media. Liberal failure has nowhere to hide and no one to hide behind. So as the Obama administration attempts to attack the country's economic woes, they find themselves stepping in one pile of liberal policy do-do after another. You might say that the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The world will have to watch as liberal policy for problem A destroys Obama goals for problem B and so on.

Consider: with Obama, Reid and Pelosi screaming for the country to accept a ridiculous stimulus package to create jobs, jobs, jobs -- liberals in Chicago are standing in the way of a Wal-Mart Super Center that would bring in construction and retail jobs to the messiah's hometown. By the way, liberals will also keep the lowest cost provider of food and clothes and home goods from being accessed by hurting Chicagoans.

The reason? The liberal principle of protecting union jobs at all costs. Remember, behind every economic disaster is a powerful union. And sometimes a community organizer.

Which leads to another example. Union jobs at the big three auto makers have been supported for years by the high priced and high profit SUVs and pick up trucks. Of course, liberal environmentalists have long made the SUV a target, while limiting domestic energy production. Greenies are doing everything they can to destroy the SUV, and with it, many union jobs, and almost succeeded during the last energy price spike.

Oh, and should we mention the fact that those oil rig jobs that pay a ton of money to mostly union members cannot be had here thanks to drilling restrictions in this country? The Russians and Venezuelans send their thanks to American liberals.

But it gets better. This contradiction, which has been predictable for anyone with some linear thinking ability, has escaped the minds of millions of Michigan voters educated by the liberal-controlled public school system. They have for decades voted for politicians illogically holding pro-green yet pro-UAW positions simultaneously. Voters of that very liberal state have no one to blame but themselves. They voted themselves out of an economy over a period of years. This is the state where Obama went to pick up a good share of his economic advisors. No wonder it is home to the Detroit Lions.

Meanwhile, back in Washington and New York, liberals in Congress and in the media are having a field day chastising corporations for buying jets, hiring contractors to renovate posh office suites, and giving big bonuses to executives.

Well guess what? Buying jets, hiring upper end contractors and giving bonuses stimulate the economy. It is job friendly. And that's what we need now, right?
    Oops. More liberal fertilizer. Liberalism simply cannot get out of its own way. Especially hurt is lefty New York, where the economy is reeling from a number of factors.

But of course, the liberal tenet of wealth envy is paramount to common sense. And apparently, to jobs. Speaking of which, if you break down the Starbucks corporate jet issue, it is especially delicious with unintended consequences.

The coffee purveyor, you remember, was mercilessly raked across the media's coals for taking delivery on a 45 million dollar jet while it was closing stores and laying off barristas. So they cancelled the jet order.

Think about that. Starbuck's deposit on the jet was lost, which is foolish under any circumstances. Further, that jet is now back "on the showroom floor" so to speak, reducing by one the need to manufacture such planes. So to keep some "hamburger flipper" type jobs that liberals make fun of, many high paying jet manufacturing jobs were lost. The only thing stimulating about that equation is the Starbucks caffeine.

And we could go on like this simply with stories from today's headlines. It's a fact of life. Liberal policies in action always cave in on themselves. They always have.

Take liberal Neville Chamberlain and his appeasement of Hitler in the 30's. (Note: Godwin. You lose.) We must have "peace in our time." How did that work out? It took a violent victory, not a phony peace, to bring lasting peace. The peace effort led to a stronger Hitler and ultimately millions more deaths than "war mongering" policies would have led to.

Look back at 9-11. Some thirty years of liberal policies regarding intelligence gathering, intelligence sharing and prosecuting terrorists led to an attack that killed three thousand Americans in, well, two of the nations' most liberal cities. You cannot say this in polite company, but statistically some 90% of the victims likely voted for the policies that led to the dreadful day. Shhhhh.

Think about abortion. The feminist movement has called this a women's issue. It is defined as the ultimate right for women. Fine. The result? The most likely fetus on the planet to be aborted is a female in China. That's women's rights we can believe in, right? Talk about the circle of life -- er -- death.

Consider school choice. This issue is demagogued by the teachers' unions above all else. These are unions who are obsessed with raising teacher pay. What would be the teacher pay result of a broad school choice program? It would be the equivalent of "free agency" for good teachers and administrators. Think about what free agency has done for pay for athletes. Another circular liberal firing squad in action.

Take California's government cash meltdown. The main culprit is retiree benefits for unionized government workers in the state. And of course, the result is that current unionized government workers are being laid off, furloughed and not hired. More liberal on liberal crime.

And let's not forget Europe and their coddling of Islamists for decades. Their payback is a near takeover of European society by gangs and street violence, not to mention ridiculous rules and regulations in airports and schools and other public places.

Liberalism's failure is universal because liberalism embraces a false view of human nature as perfectible, if only the right political arrangements exist . And it would be funny, except that the consequences are so devastating to so many people. And so often the victims are the very liberals the policy was supposed to protect.

The only good news is this: with liberal Democrats front and center on all stages governmental now, they will be opposed by a much more formidable foe than a Republican President and a Congress dying to just get along. They will be opposed by the obvious truth of their bankrupt philosophy.

I don't know what website that is, but it seems the equivalent of posting something off of Stormfront.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I don't know what website that is, but it seems the equivalent of posting something off of Stormfront.

Check out the URL: it's from "American Thinker" which is just the funniest thing.

Anyway, CNN was saying stimulus bill to be signed on Tuesday in Denver.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I went over to Dailykos for the first time in a little more than a year.

I note that Kos now rarely makes a reference to the political opposition with describing it as "Republicans and conservative Democrats."

Sigh.

There's a fast track to an imploding party. Start lynching the impure.

Speaker on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Check out the URL: it's from "American Thinker" which is just the funniest thing.

Well, to be fair, American Idiot was already taken.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

I note that Kos now rarely makes a reference to the political opposition with describing it as "Republicans and conservative Democrats."

Sigh.

Hey, to be fair, they've been lynching the impure for years. See also Connecticut 2006.

The netroots hate the Blue Dogs.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sigh.

Hey, to be fair, they've been lynching the impure for years. See also Connecticut 2006.

GOSLING'S BIG BOOK O' POLITICAL ADVICE

#103: A party's base will hate a moderate from their own party, but love a moderate from the other party that votes in the exact same manner. If the moderate switches from one party to the other, the feelings will merely intensify. (Take Olympia Snowe. Now take Jon Tester, who votes largely the same way, in a left/right way of thinking.)

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sigh.

#103: A party's base will hate a moderate from their own party, but love a moderate from the other party that votes in the exact same manner. If the moderate switches from one party to the other, the feelings will merely intensify. (Take Olympia Snowe. Now take Jon Tester, who votes largely the same way, in a left/right way of thinking.)

Oddly, the netroots love Tester and hate Snowe. Because they're realistic about the kinds of Democrats you can get from Montana and think you could get a pretty damn awesome Democrat from Maine.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sigh.

Well that should go over well in a party that is 50% moderates.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sigh.

Oddly, the netroots love Tester and hate Snowe. Because they're realistic about the kinds of Democrats you can get from Montana and think you could get a pretty damn awesome Democrat from Maine.
    Bayh and Lugar aren't too far apart, they share a state.

Gosling on
This discussion has been closed.