As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Phalla Ted: The Attack of Rugged Island - GAME OVER: Village Win

1101112131416»

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Interesting game I must say.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Was anyone else as incredibly pleased with my tea psych profiling as I was? We nabbed two baddies with the vote without any prompting from specials! Still, fuck you Skid.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only time I posted someone's tea preference was if they were the one's that Kime selected for tea.

Kime randomly chose baddies for the tea - and on one of the 'no' votes you profiled it was a random 'no' because the person hadn't sent in an order.

Which made it even more hilarious when you profiled them from the tea. Because there was nothing, really, to profile.

Which I LOLed at.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    warban wrote: »
    Interesting game I must say.

Thanks! hope you enjoyed it.

Micro on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, wow. That makes it even better!

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I know - it's hilarious really - watching some of the twists and turns was great fun.

As I said, the only thing that didn't really work for me were the O'Leary's - I wish, positively wish, I'd rolled Darian and abotkin in those roles - because then the full dilemma of being in those roles would have come out - they'd have both wanted to fulfil their private win conditions by killing each other, but would also have waited to try to save the village, etc.

As it was VT and TT were far too nice to each other, and despite several repeated hints from me, both of them PLANned every night.

LOSERS ;)

Micro on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    On the tea thing, it really hurt us that the opening narration heavily implied that tea had seering properties. Well, that and Kime's fantastic aim.

Darian on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Micro wrote: »
    I know - it's hilarious really - watching some of the twists and turns was great fun.

As I said, the only thing that didn't really work for me were the O'Leary's - I wish, positively wish, I'd rolled Darian and abotkin in those roles - because then the full dilemma of being in those roles would have come out - they'd have both wanted to fulfil their private win conditions by killing each other, but would also have waited to try to save the village, etc.

As it was VT and TT were far too nice to each other, and despite several repeated hints from me, both of them PLANned every night.

LOSERS ;)

Well I was going to kill him last night, but I died. :|

It was a fun game.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone know why i was hit? Was it because I said "This game should be just about wrapped up or another reasion?

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hurray for the village!! Wow though, I can't believe the tea thing was actually that helpful. Also, sorry Darian. Even though I said we could switch off each other, I had arranged the tea to most likely kill you anyways :|. (Granted, then you were winning easily, so I switched around for the fun of it, which turned out to be a good choice.)

Good game Micro! You really like those "You must kill so-and-so roles," huh? Would have been cooler if they KILLed, I agree.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I....I survived till the end? Woo!

Sorry Zinfandel. There were three people we hadnt seered. Darian was our first choice, and was therefore voted out. You and wildpantha were the other two...and the way you were really riding me hard the last day made me suspect you, so we switched you and pantha as far as kill/seer targets went. Didn't end up mattering, cause Darian was the evil one.

Good game, Micro! I had a great deal of fun. The posting restriction of not being able to discuss who is evil in the thread was a bit...annoying.

Also, sorry I revealed so soon, guys. You'll see when he posts roles though: I HAD to respond to a direct question with "That would be an ecumenical matter" and NOTHING ELSE, and I had to respond to accusations of me being evil with "FECK OFF! (though I Was allowed to elaborate)... so I figured it was only a matter of time till someone forced me to reveal myself anyway.

Good game, Wildcat :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    So that's what happened; I had decided that Dougal must have been the seer when Jack was guarded again even after the night Dougal died. D:

*shakes fist at O'Learys*

I had this feeling from about day 3 that you were a bad guy, but I had nothing but my own shaky suspicions. =)

Good game everyone! =)=)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Definitely a fun game; congrats to El Skid and company, and thanks to Micro for running this for us.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, that was an excellent game.
    T Skid: That's understandable. Did you look at my voting record? I wasn't lying about that.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Many thanks to the good specials who came forward to me, and especially Arasaki, who guarded me for most of the game <3

The O'learys were great, especially when they got the guard ability the night after our guardian died. It was pretty obvious from the narration text who was guarding who (ie dougall for most of the game and then the o'learys when they died), but I'm glad Darian didn't pick up on it :)

Darian- well hidden. I really didn't suspect you at all... You've been playing BSG too much, you frakking toaster! :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good game, but I (obviously) have a few criticisms;

- Were the tea results being public really necessary? Seriously?
    - Maybe just me, but four bad guys in a game of thirty people seemed a bit... low. Just a bit. The masoned bad guys could have been wiped out on night one, with the vote, Jack, and the O'Learys' special power rolling as a vig. One or two extras wouldn't have gone astray.
    - On a similar note, what was up with the vague messages you gave the bad guys about Tom being able to join up with us? Did that get a follow-up after I died, or what?
    - If you are a bad guy, and one of your team-mates has a couple of votes for them, do not instantly assume that they are being bandwagoned and argue for their death. Sure, I would have died anyway, but I have a new grudge Darian. :P

Anyways. This is just me being a whiny bitch, basically. It's been an entertaining few days. :lol:

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    Good game, but I (obviously) have a few criticisms;

- Maybe just me, but four bad guys in a game of thirty people seemed a bit... low. Just a bit. The masoned bad guys could have been wiped out on night one, with the vote, Jack, and the O'Learys' special power rolling as a vig. One or two extras wouldn't have gone astray.
    - On a similar note, what was up with the vague messages you gave the bad guys about Tom being able to join up with us? Did that get a follow-up after I died, or what?
    - If you are a bad guy, and one of your team-mates has a couple of votes for them, do not instantly assume that they are being bandwagoned and argue for their death. Sure, I would have died anyway, but I have a new grudge Darian. :P

Anyways. This is just me being a whiny bitch, basically. It's been an entertaining few days. :lol:

In retrospect, I voted for you a bit early that day, yes. In my defense, though, it worked beautifully and kept me completely off Jack's radar until the last day.

We were put in touch with Tom as soon as either he targeted one of us OR we targeted him. So the night you died to both Tom and the vote, that actually was the night Tom was put in touch with us. Or rather, with me, since we lost Rofl at the same time.

Micro can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he would have actually killed you if you hadn't already been dying to the vote. I think he would have just joined us, and added to our strength.

Darian on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Well really, it shouldn't have been a big deal. The tea didn't do too much (especially to an individual person), and if I had actually lived longer we'd have seen obviously that it wasn't a seering or anything like that.

Oh, and my role PM, since Micro's missing it. Nothing too special since it was already released what the tea did.
    Mrs Doyle

You are Mrs Doyle, the lovingly dedicated house-keeper and tea lady in the Parochial House on Craggy Island, looking after the three priests: Ted, Dougal and Jack.

Despite their continued protestations, you know, deep down, that they always want tea, so you keep forcing it on them. And again. And again. And again.

If you don’t know the show at all it could be worth looking at the two following links for more info on Mrs Doyle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted#Mrs_Doyle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Doyle

Your win condition is that of the village – to find and remove all those bad people disturbing your natural way of life.

As you will have seen in the villager pm, to aid in this task, you can offer three people, each day, a cup of tea.

Every player will have sent in, via pm, whether or not they would accept a cup of tea if offered – if you have targeted them, and they have said, for that day, that they would accept tea, then they will receive the benefits of the cup of tea.

Each cup of tea has the following property:

50% chance – target player’s vote counts for two
    25% chance – target player’s vote counts for three
    25% chance – target player’s vote counts for zero

You MUST NOT share, with ANYONE, the potential effects of your tea.

To clarify, and as an example – you target X, Y and Z with tea.

X and Y have said yes to tea, Z has said no.

Thus Z receives no effects from tea whatsoever.

For both X and Y I will RNG the effect of their tea based on the above percentages.

Tea targets must be submitted every day, via pm, and can be changed as often as you like up to vote close.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    kime wrote: »

Well really, it shouldn't have been a big deal. The tea didn't do too much (especially to an individual person), and if I had actually lived longer we'd have seen obviously that it wasn't a seering or anything like that.

Oh, and my role PM, since Micro's missing it. Nothing too special since it was already released what the tea did.

The problem, as I mentioned above, is that the Day 0 narration included a bit where a particularly strong cup of tea forced our housekeeper to spill all to you. As such, the baddies all shied away from accepting tea that first day, and then you hit two of us with it.

Darian on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

The problem, as I mentioned above, is that the Day 0 narration included a bit where a particularly strong cup of tea forced our housekeeper to spill all to you. As such, the baddies all shied away from accepting tea that first day, and then you hit two of us with it.

Exactly - although (ironically) I didn't accept the tea just because I don't like tea!

Which reminds me of another point; Micro talking about what the tea actually did mid-game was kind of a big hint to me, from my post-death viewpoint, that the good guy's seer was still alive.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I knew the seer was still around then; I just didn't have any luck in catching him until the last day. Silly me not taking out the OTHER person that was roleplaying day 1 with Jack.

Darian on
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wahoo for a survival win! And I helped, holy shit I'm actually getting good at this

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    LarkaLarka Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I lived! I liked all the narrations for this a lot.
    I have started watching the show because of it.

Larka on
  • Options
    Rofl_botRofl_bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The village got lucky getting me and Burnage in one day. Burnage was a pretty obvious, but how did you know to kill me vig?

Rofl_bot on
    Soul Silver Friend Code: 3309 6831 1937
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was a lot of fun Micro, thanks for the game! I had a blast playing Tom. I had thought of coming out and claiming to be a neutral or some such, but by the time it would have been important for me to do that I was too busy in the real world to put in enough time.

And El Skid, again, no hard feelings on attempting to kill you everyday, it was just too fun after the first two days not to keep it up.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nice try Darian, but the Holy Stone of Clonrickart is not given up so easily!

Thanks for hosting this Micro, it's been one of my favourite phallas so far. And thank you Skid, it was well played by you and always a pleasure to be on your team.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    To reply to a couple of things:

a) Mrs Doyle in the opening narration - I'm sorry that it was so misleading, you're right, I should have written it better, I just didn't think about it. I suppose I was just making a joke about Craggy Island being so dependant on tea, etc, and comparing Mrs Doyle's Tea to alcohol. Clusterfuck on my part there.

b) Tea receivers, etc, in the narration - this was a conscious decision on my part, I wanted people to be suspicious of the tea, etc (or not suspicious, or whatever - any way round, I just wanted it to create intrigue): this certainly worked, and I don't regret that. What I do regret is the impact that the above mistake made on the tea-fun, which harmed the baddies an unnecessary amount.

c) You're right that I like the 'you must die' or 'you must kill....' roles. I enjoy creating disorder, making people work together, giving people a legitimate reason to double cross someone - sometimes it really comes off (Neutral Vig in Fox & Phalla who had to die to secure the win), sometimes it didn't work (the scrumpy Jill thing in Fox and Phalla would have been great if she'd killed him, and likewise, I'd have loved TT or VT to convince the other one to plan, and then fuck them up - but sadly it wasn't to be. Also, with the back-stabbing thing, I'd gone too far with the imperfect converts in Phallthy words, which was unfair of me - but, on the whole, I'm still learning at this and just watch out for roles that aren't as they seem in any future phalla of mine :P

d) Darian's point about Tom has been, I think, answered already - Darian is quite right in saying that if Burnage had not eaten the vote, Tom's hit would not have killed him and would have instead just introduced them to each other.

A question from me: were you guys more or less happy with the balance? I know there weren't many baddies, but I think it still ended up pretty even - would appreciate any comments you may have.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There were what, three survivors? Yeah, balance seemed fine.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aye, it was RIGHT down to the wire =) It was great! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rofl_bot wrote: »
    The village got lucky getting me and Burnage in one day. Burnage was a pretty obvious, but how did you know to kill me vig?

Pretty much a lucky guess. The bad guys did a pretty good job flying under the radar this game- noone really stood out to me, and there were so few of you proportionally it really made it hard to pinpoint you.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It was only 6.5 to 1 - not out of the realms of the normal.

It started as 6 to 1 before I added the extra two slots and gave the O'Leary's the extra power to compensate.

Although, I would have liked it to have stopped on day 5, not day 6 - something to think about in the future.

Talking of the future, I've got one more completely written, and another one 50% complete - I really want to run the 50% complete one, which will be ready to roll some time in February (probably) - but for now, to give you a taste of something coming up in March or April:

EPILOGUE

"GAAAAH" said Ted "What the bloody hell are you doing Mrs Doyle?"

"Sorry to wake you Father, you were screaming, and you told me not to let you sleep past noon today. Now, I know that I've had a lazy morning, I've only cleaned the gutters, dredged the drainage ditch, remodelled the kitchen and stunned and butchered a cow. Now, would you like a cup of tea?"

"Tea? But that might wipe out my vote!"

"What father?"

"My vote woman! There's a 25% chance of it wiping out my vote, and then Dick Byrne will definitely find me"

"Ooh yes, Dick Byrne, he's coming here from Rugged Island with Bishop Brennan"

"Bishop Brennan? What?!" said Ted

Dougal was waking up in the next bed.

"You know" said Mrs Doyle "Bishop; doesn't seem to like you; has a wife and child in Las Vegas"

"But..."

Ted was confused. Had Mrs Doyle just forgotten being murdered by Dick Byrne? Silly old mad bat.

"Oh, and Tom's downstairs waiting to see you as well"

Ted wet the bed.

"Tom?! Here to see me? Right! Get Jack's rum, tell him Tom took it, and then lock them in a room together. It'll destroy the room, but Tom won't be around to attack anyone else - El Skid's been baying after Tom for days now"

"El Skid, Ted? Is that some kind of Spanish nun?" Asked Dougal

"And why do you want to hurt Tom anyway, Father? He's just brought over those video-films you wanted. Now, won't you have some tea? Ooh, no..." Mrs Doyle had spotted the wet patch where Ted had relieved himself all over the sheets "Best clean that up, no tea for you Father - we don't want any more accidents do we?"

Jack burst in.

"DRINK!!!!"

"Oh, thank God" said Ted - the sight of Jack was very reassuring - he'd obviously drunk some VERY strong tea the night before and imagined some very strange things - everything was suddenly at peace.

"Feck" said Ted "Bishop Brennan. Today?! Really? FLIPPING HELL. Get out of bed Dougal you little Gobshite. BRENNAN IS COMING!!!"

Yes. Brennan is coming.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kicking.

El Skid.

Up.

The.

Arse.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Why would you do such a thing?!

Micro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    :winky:

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Arasaki had better not take a picture of it and blow it up to monstrous proportions...

El Skid on