As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assistance with my sony HDTV

PewPewLazerKittyzPewPewLazerKittyz Registered User regular
I just got a Sony KDL-32l4000 and it is connected to a HD cable box via HDMI cable. I want to know if I need to
buy another HDMI cable to connect my Playstation 3 or just use the traditional Yellow/White/Red cables. If I can use the traditional cables would it be significantly worse then the HDMI cable? Thanks.

PewPewLazerKittyz on

• Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yellow / White / Red only carry a 480i signal if I recall correctly. (a terrible picture)

Component (RGB/RW) will carry up to a 1080i signal. (really good, HD picture)

HDMI will carry up to 1080p. (the best picture + digital audio)

If you have an extra HDMI port in that TV, then HDMI is the way to go. monoprice.com and amazon.com both have really cheap HDMI cables right now.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you want to take advantage of all the features of the PS3 like it's perfect DVD upscaling you'll need HDMI.

Right now you can get a 6ft HDMI cable at monoprice right now for $4.74.

Dark Shroud on
  • PewPewLazerKittyzPewPewLazerKittyz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ok thank everyone for the help. :lol:

PewPewLazerKittyz on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yellow / White / Red only carry a 480i signal if I recall correctly. (a terrible picture)

Component (RGB/RW) will carry up to a 1080i signal. (really good, HD picture)

HDMI will carry up to 1080p. (the best picture + digital audio)

If you have an extra HDMI port in that TV, then HDMI is the way to go. monoprice.com and amazon.com both have really cheap HDMI cables right now.
    Listen to this man.
    But doesn't component do 1080p as well? HDMI is just better as it's digital yea?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The PS3 will not output 1080p over component (only up to 720p/1080i), and I don't think it'll upscale content over component (only over HDMI). I do not believe there is any limitation imposed by the component specification and it's just Sonys douchebaggery.

Djeet on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you CAN notice the difference between RCA and HDMI on a PS3.

I played LittleBigPlanet all day at a friend's lastweek and bought and PS3 and LittleBigPlanet the day after. Setting it up at home I only had the RCA cable that came out of the box and everything was really blurry. You can't make out any fine detail on the world and character textures with RGB, all LittleBigPlanet's amazing little fabric stitching was almost impossible to see.

I couldn't scrounge for a HDMI cable fast enough, now everything is pretty again :P

Sharp101 on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Component can do 1080p (if your set supports 1080p input over component,) however bluray specs dictate that analog connections (including component) may only display movies at up to 1080i60.

So I'm fairly certain you're good for 1080p games on a PS3 with component (if your TV handles it) but not movies.

Ego on
    Erik
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    you CAN notice the difference between RGB and HDMI on a PS3

I can't vouch one way or another for telling the difference, but I just want to note that component is not an RGB signal, component is 1 luma, 1 blue - luma and 1 red - luma (note that's 'difference of red/blue from luma').

Ego on
    Erik
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorry, I ment to say the standard RCA cable, not RGB. :P

Sharp101 on