As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Radio Regulation in States

ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was wondering who regulates the radio in states; more specifically, in PA. If I wanted to fine or tax an FM station for certain behavior, who would regulate this?

Ilmmad.gif
ilmmad on

Posts

  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't it the FCC? They seem to be the ones always fining radio and TV stations.

    DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The FCC. They police broadcast stations for decency. But you can't fine a radio station or tax them. You could sue them if you believed they owed you something for some reason, or they damaged you somehow.

    RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yup, the FCC.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm drafting a mock bill for a mock-government sort of thing. I would like to fine radio stations for holiday music played outside of a preordained broadcasting window and use the money to donate to children's charities that give aid and presents to needy and underprivileged youth during holidays.

    Since the law is state law, isn't it true I can't bring the FCC into this?

    ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ilmmad wrote: »
    I'm drafting a mock bill for a mock-government sort of thing. I would like to fine radio stations for holiday music played outside of a preordained broadcasting window and use the money to donate to children's charities that give aid and presents to needy and underprivileged youth during holidays.

    Since the law is state law, isn't it true I can't bring the FCC into this?
    I don't know if it matters, but your bill would be unconstitutional. And no, you wouldn't need to bring the FCC into it, you'd need whatever local body would be used for such a thing, probably your state department of commerce.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I'm aware. To be honest it's not that much of a problem in Youth and Government unless someone decides to call it out which only happens on occasion. I've gotten the proposal past my adviser without a problem, but if I'm told it won't fly I'm poised to fall back on a secondary bill regulating light pollution.

    Thanks for the suggestion for the department of commerce though.

    ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ilmmad wrote: »
    Yeah I'm aware. To be honest it's not that much of a problem in Youth and Government unless someone decides to call it out which only happens on occasion. I've gotten the proposal past my adviser without a problem, but if I'm told it won't fly I'm poised to fall back on a secondary bill regulating light pollution.

    Thanks for the suggestion for the department of commerce though.
    If you want something similar that would be Constitutional, you could slide a labor regulation in prohibiting holiday music being played in excess of X amount at any work site, and/or prohibiting the same song being repeated more than once in X hours at a work site.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's very helpful, I hadn't thought of it like that. Thank you.

    ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Playing holiday music outside of Christmas time is indecent anyway (or as indecent as 3 seconds of a nipple on tv is at any rate).

    You're just protecting the children.

    corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So wait I could make it Constitutional by limiting hours? Doesn't that limit the rights of the business owner?

    ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ilmmad wrote: »
    So wait I could make it Constitutional by limiting hours? Doesn't that limit the rights of the business owner?

    Business owners are required to provide a work environment that isn't too unsafe or unhealthy. You can't stop them from broadcasting music you don't like because it's a 1st Amendment issue.

    theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ... am I the only one that wants to post something from Pump Up the Volume on here?

    Back on topic: your regulations regarding Christmas music would likely be OSHA related, due to how much excess Christmas music makes people want to kill themselves.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sign In or Register to comment.