As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sending a computer internationally

IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving to Japan in March and I'd like to take my desktop computer with me. I know of the different ways I can send it over, but I want to know if anyone else has done something similar and if anything bad happened. My Desktop is a large Dell model. Thanks.

Iloveslimes on

• Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I assume you are moving over there for a long time/permenantly if you are considering this?

Hmm, personally I would be more inclined to back up all your important data onto DVD disks/ external hard drive, sell your PC, then buy a new one over in Japan.

Shipping from the US to Japan ain't cheap - for a tower PC you're looking at it weighing about 10kgs when packed up - that'll cost about $200-$250 USD to ship (based on a quick check on the Fedex website). Plus there's always the risk that it won't survive the trip with it being handled by god knows how many couriers/baggage handlers on the way over.

If you do decide to ship it over tho, check to make sure the PC power supply is able to switch from 110V to 240V, otherwise you'll need a new PSU to be able to use it over in Japan.

Spam on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spam wrote: »
    Hmm, personally I would be more inclined to back up all your important data onto DVD disks/ external hard drive, sell your PC, then buy a new one over in Japan.

Absolutely this, unfortunately. Just getting a computer across the US-Canada border can be a huge pain (I got taken aside for additional screening once because they found some spare computer parts in my car). Copy anything of value to a portable hard drive, sell your current machine, and use what you get from the sale (plus the $200+ you'd spend shipping the damn thing if you wanted it to arrive in one piece) to treat yourself to an upgraded system in Japan.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm curious about this also. It sucks if the best option is to sell your rig you've worked so hard on, just to sell it for a lesser value and rebuild it all over again.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You might be able to pack it really well and check it with an airline, just make sure you back your stuff up first like everyone said

Hypatia on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you do go about shipping it.

I'd remove the PSU and the CPUs Heatsink [and if you have a heug aftermarket one on your video card, remove that too ], and package them seperately.

If not, They could get jostled loose and bounce around inside the case destroying everything.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MooblyMoobly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did this,

I'd suggest only doing it if it's your ONLY option. I paid a load of cash for the extra insurance on it, more for the baggage weight it added, and to top it off inbound customs was a nightmare. I think the total bill, not including time spent and stress, came to about 150usd.
    Hypatia wrote: »
    You might be able to pack it really well and check it with an airline, just make sure you back your stuff up first like everyone said

Moobly on
    steam_sig.png

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. "
    -Aldous Huxley
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can also bring computers with you as carry on if you don't want to check a bag in.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the advice. My computer is about three years old and I planned on buying a monitor when I got there, but it does seem like it would be a lot easier to just buy a good laptop before I go. I don't want to get a laptop in Japan because the Japanese keyboard would drive me nuts.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As far as I know, Japanese keyboards have a standard qwerty layout with english characters, but just have the kanji characters printed on the keys as well - as long as you set the PC to US English you'll be fine.

And if its really that big an issue, just take your own keyboard over with you?

Spam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Googling Japanese Laptop keyboards ftw!

keyboard.jpg

Spam on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Having done a bit of travel, and having been in the position of having to consider what you are doing, I would definitely go with the laptop option unless you were planning on doing a major upgrade, in which case buy a PC when you get there.

If you don't need cutting edge graphics, etc treat yourself to a laptop if you have the fundage. Considering living spaces in Japan, it's probably the better option in that regard too.

devoir on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    If you do go about shipping it.

I'd remove the PSU and the CPUs Heatsink [and if you have a heug aftermarket one on your video card, remove that too ], and package them seperately.

If not, They could get jostled loose and bounce around inside the case destroying everything.

Yeah, if nothing else, when they tear themselves loose then they will likely irreparably damage anything they were attached to as well.

An alternative to buying a laptop to take out with you would be to just take a US keyboard with you (although the Japanese keyboards look to be pretty much standard QWERTY layout there are likely to be symbols located on different keys from what you are used to) and then buy a tower and monitor out there. Might be a cheaper option.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the advice. My computer is about three years old and I planned on buying a monitor when I got there, but it does seem like it would be a lot easier to just buy a good laptop before I go. I don't want to get a laptop in Japan because the Japanese keyboard would drive me nuts.

How long are you going to be living in Japan for? Honestly I would go for the laptop option (buy one before you leave) as shipping a 3 year-old desktop is probably not worth it. Alternatively build yourself a PC when you get there.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MooblyMoobly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With not a lot of looking, you can find plenty of online vendors that'll ship anything you need. I sate almost all of my western needs through the joys of the interwebs. So building a PC certainlly isn't out of the question.

On a related note, if you do decide to take your pc through carry-on on the place, keep us posted on the TSA reaction. :)

Moobly on
    steam_sig.png

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. "
    -Aldous Huxley
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can have what you say an insider knowledge of TSA reaction on it, if anything all they will do is swab it because it is a large chunk of metal that is hard to see through. Much weirder things go through an x-ray then a computer tower pretty much everyday.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to be in Japan for at least a year, so I need a computer. A laptop seems like the best way so I'm pricing them now. From what I can tell, laptops are much cheaper in the U.S. than in Japan.
    As for the keyboard, it's the symbols that kill me. Colons, apostrophes, and the @ mark are moved and that is a pain that I don't want to deal with for for the next few years, again.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only problem with a Japanese keyboard which I am typing on right now is that a lot of the "other buttons" are moved like the quotation marks, the symbols over the numbers are rearranged, so its sort of annoying for a little while, but you get the hang of it.

I know a guy that has shiped a few computers from the US to Japan but I guess he is made of money or something.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics