As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 1-14-2009 HOW TO MURDER THE EARTH

AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Graphic Violence
This is it folks. Final Crisis #6 is my moment of the week.
Batman faces Darkseid and shoots him with the bullet that killed Orion. Darkseid was able to unleash the Omega Sanction on Batman. Batman says "Gotcha" and is hit by the Omega Sanction killing him. The final pages, did by Mahnke, is Superman returning and the last page is Superman holding the corpse of Batman.

Algertman on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Sounds cool though.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do like the use of the
    Orion bullet on Darkseid. Perhaps trite, but better as irony.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He'll be fine

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    He'll walk it off.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He was killed by space magic.

That shit NEVER sticks.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2009
    Whoever it is that colors Final Crisis really hates black people.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well they do use up a whole lot of ink.

Isn't it Alex Sinclair?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jeez, what a complete and utter train wreck FINAL CRISIS has become. "The Lord of the Rings" of comics, indeed. <eye-rolling emoticon here>

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Who got white-ified this time?

I've only read a few of my books for this week, but I did have one welcome surprise already. I flipped through the Prometheus one-shot, as gates had promised some maimed and murdered C-listers, and I wanted to see if anyone I liked bought it. Well surprise, as I'm paging through it I see Argus, and I feel my blood pressure go up a little. As anyone who's read the Comic Creators thread might know, I'm kind of fond of Argus for some reason. The dude's been in very few comics, but I just sort of like him.
    Anyways, the big surprise is that he doesn't die! Sure his teammates get fucked up; Anima, who recently got blown up in Titans East gets cut in half, and Gunfire gets his hands chopped off. But hey, Argus came through A-okay!
    I went ahead and bought the book, and it sort of sucked, but I was still excited by the appearance of a sad D-lister remembered only by me, Mark Waid, and Phil Hester.

Munch on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Batman faces Darkseid and shoots him with the bullet that killed Orion. Darkseid was able to unleash the Omega Sanction on Batman. Batman says "Gotcha" and is hit by the Omega Sanction killing him. The final pages, did by Mahnke, is Superman returning and the last page is Superman holding the corpse of Batman.
    So what exactly does 'gotcha?' signify?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2009
    Munch wrote: »

Who got white-ified this time?

Shilo Norman.

Not even like a tan-white. He's almost albino

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    So what exactly does 'gotcha?' signify?
    That he hit Darkseid with the bullet.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That he hit Darkseid with the bullet.

Nah, it was a paintball.

Gotcha!

Munch on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That last page of Final Crisis was amazing...
    SupermanBatman.jpg

I really just can't get over how much better this story is than Secret Invasion. It's like Bendis wasn't even trying or something.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe it's because I've only been reading Final Crisis straight up, but 1-5 seemed like completely random assortments of events to me.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Jeez, what a complete and utter train wreck FINAL CRISIS has become. "The Lord of the Rings" of comics, indeed. <eye-rolling emoticon here>

How do you mean? I think it's pulled together beautifully.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Don't mind him. He's honestly offended that anyone likes Morrison.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

Don't mind him. He's honestly offended that anyone likes Morrison.

...yeah. I was looking back through the old FC thread just now and noticed that.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Offended? That's a strong word. Morrison has written some terrific comics (I'd put ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #6 up as one of the best comics I've ever read, in 22 years of reading the things), but for some stuff, it's just off. Read some of the dialogue in FINAL CRISIS - it doesn't sound remotely like the typical 'voice' of those characters. It just doesn't.

I mean, "Oh god, what's happening to the sky? LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO THE SKY." Really? FC is just a mish-mash of spaghetti - hell, maybe it's intentional, maybe Morrison is commenting on the nature of these sorts of crossovers.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So what was the point of Batman R.I.P. again

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

$$$

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Offended? That's a strong word. Morrison has written some terrific comics (I'd put ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #6 up as one of the best comics I've ever read, in 22 years of reading the things), but for some stuff, it's just off. Read some of the dialogue in FINAL CRISIS - it doesn't sound remotely like the typical 'voice' of those characters. It just doesn't.

I mean, "Oh god, what's happening to the sky? LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO THE SKY." Really? FC is just a mish-mash of spaghetti - hell, maybe it's intentional, maybe Morrison is commenting on the nature of these sorts of crossovers.

I have read the words you have written, but they seem to contain no meaning.

muninn on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

See my semi-rant in the Batman thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=66821&page=43

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    God, all sorts of retarded in this thread.

But yeah, Final Crisis:

:(

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would have to say that my MotW was Green Lantern Corps #32
    The Star Sapphire showed Rayner and Soranik who each of their hearts desire. It was pretty obvious who it would be, but it was still awesome.

Also, this is another step towards making Kyle into a Blue Lantern. He's gonna need to quit the corps if he wants to start a relationship with Natu. It makes sense to me that he would become a blue so that he can hook up with her. Third Law of OA and all.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

How does this make RIP pointless? Morrison never said Batman would die - in fact, he said the whole point was to try and move past the stalled post-DKR take on Batman and create a more mentally healthy, holistic version that encompassed his entire history. We can rate how successful he has/hasn't been, but saying it's pointless because he gets zapped in one issue of a tangentially-related crossover is really spurious.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

How does this make RIP pointless? Morrison never said Batman would die - in fact, he said the whole point was to try and move past the stalled post-DKR take on Batman and create a more mentally healthy, holistic version that encompassed his entire history. We can rate how successful he has/hasn't been, but saying it's pointless because he gets zapped in one issue of a tangentially-related crossover is really spurious.

Ok if that was the point of RIP then again what does it matter if he dies before any stories get told with this new and improved Bruce Wayne

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess reading stories for their own merit is lame now, right?

Fuck this "It's the journey not the destination" nonsense.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well I didnt like RIP as a story either!

the fact that it dosent end with any sort of payoff is probably one of the biggest reasons!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think you're missing the point. There is no journey. That's what Bale and I are saying.

If they are going to all the effort to rebuild Batman and break him away from the whole traumatized childhood or whatever they are trying to do...they should, you know, do that for a while.

Sure, you can read RIP for its own merit. Heck, I even enjoyed RIP. I thought it was a good story and the Joker in it was particularly satisfying.

But now that we know that Batman is a deeper, more rounded character... it would make sense to me to use that information before killing him off. You're talking as if we aren't into the journey, but into some big payoff. I think we are the exact opposite. We want the journey. But instead we were given a premature conclusion that was completely unrelated to the recent events in the Batman monthly books.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hah, oh dear, the rage continues.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm not raging.

I'm not even reading FC, and I dropped the entire Batman line after RIP.

I'm not angry about anything, just making discussion in this comic book discussion internet forum.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That wasn't directed to you, my friend, but rather what is generally happening on these boards right now. No worries!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not nearly as big a deal as Final Crisis, but the last page of Captain Britain and MI:13 was pretty epic.
    1231967023666.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does... does he live on the moon?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well the Inhumans just moved off so there is plenty of space

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

If you read Dr. McNinja, you'd already know this to be the case.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Huh.

Interesting
    Darkseid makes sure to state that he is using the Omega Sanction, rather than the Omega Beams. The death that is life. Isn't that the living death that Shilo Norman was sentenced to in 7even Soldiers?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Munch wrote: »

If you read Dr. McNinja, you'd already know this to be the case.

oh man, how awesome would a Dr. McNinja cameo be. just in the background or something.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GLC was great.

Garlic Bread on