As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommended PSP Accesories

IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I swear there was a recent thread with this info, but I can't find it any longer. The search feature is also unhelpful for finding material related to consoles with short names.

I just picked up a used Silver PSP-2001, in remarkably good shape, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm looking for recommendations on a case and screen protectors. Being used, there was no case or container whatsoever.

I'm up-to-date with all the "good PSP game" lists, thank you.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
IceBurner on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is the best case in the universe.

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

Shouldn't run more than $20. Most retail places sell it. Not sure if Gamestop does. It's an official product, I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't remember the brand name of the screen protector/case I have for the life of me, but it worked pretty well, and I found it at a Wal-mart for $15. It came with a UMD holder, ear phones, and car charger as well. Worked great until i lost it while moving. The only other recommendation I have are replacement thumbsticks. Aftermarket ones are much more comfortable.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good lord that case 2 posts above is WAYYY too bulky. Do you want to carry a portable gaming device in your pocket or a giant piece of bulky annoyance?

All you need is a screen-sheet to prevent scratches. I've dropped my slim numerous times with the battery and battery door popping open and flying away, yet no problems at all with the psp.

Plus it comes with the slightly padded slip to put it in. I think those huge cases are retardedoid.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know about that case iwakura has, but its similar to my Playgear Pocket from Logitech.

080416-gamedevice1.jpg

This thing ROCKS! The hinge is strong so you can keep the top over it to block glare.

Also, custom skins. Just print them out, and stick them in. Or, use the template they give you along with a exacto knife and use a magazine cover.

203068511.jpg

donhonk on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got a cool gelaskins skin for my PSP, and it makes people go all WOOHA with the seamlessly matching background.

Shit. That sounded like a sales pitch...

I've actually been looking for a simple soft case, like the ones they had in the first PSP starter packs, but now there are hard cases all up ins, and no sign of just a simply dude that I can throw in my bag without worrying about scratches and stuff.

Without going online and paying shipping and stuff.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    I got a cool gelaskins skin for my PSP, and it makes people go all WOOHA with the seamlessly matching background.

Shit. That sounded like a sales pitch...

I've actually been looking for a simple soft case, like the ones they had in the first PSP starter packs, but now there are hard cases all up ins, and no sign of just a simply dude that I can throw in my bag without worrying about scratches and stuff.

Without going online and paying shipping and stuff.

I'd prefer a hard case in that instance, never know what the thing's going to go through when you put your bag down, someone accidentally bumps into you, whatever. From what I've heard the PSP isn't the sturdiest piece of equipment.

I use a hard case that I got at Wal-Mart, sounds similar to another one described above - came with a couple of UMD cases, a hard shell, usb/power cord, earbuds, and a stupid little media manager type disc that I didn't see the point of.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I concur with the Logitech Playgear Pocket recommendation. One of the best PSP cases around. The official one is similar, but with the UMD spaces it is a heck of a lot bulkier. Just make sure to get a Playgear specifically for the Slims. The original Playgear pockets don't fit the slims very well at all.

Hori makes one of the better screen protectors out there, but it can be a bit hard to find in most stores/online. The generic ones that places like GameStop put out have gotten better though, so unless it's a total crap brand, almost anything you can find will probably do. Whichever you do get, just make sure to get the screen as dust-free as possible before applying. And try to get it right the first time; the more you fiddle with applying the protector, the worse it'll look.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

[SNIP]

Shouldn't run more than $20. Most retail places sell it. Not sure if Gamestop does. It's an official product, I think.

If you get this case, I'd advise removing the piece of plastic that covers the screen. Everyone I know with a PSP has this case, and everyone I know who didn't take that piece of plastic off has a crack in their PSP's faceplate next to the Home button from the pressure. The PSP stays in place in the case just fine without it, and it is the best case ever, as people are saying.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been looking for screen protectors for quite some time now, but there always seem to be complaints about the reflection of the sunlight they cause. One of the advertised futures of my PSP-3000 was that the screen will reflect less sunlight when using it outdoors, so I'm kinda hesitant to pick them up. Should I go with the Hori ones anyway (I use them already for my DS)?

I'm also looking for is a carrying bag for my PSP, something that isn't too bulky and that you can hang around your shoulder or strap around your hips. Any ideas?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

[SNIP]

If you get this case, I'd advise removing the piece of plastic that covers the screen. Everyone I know with a PSP has this case, and everyone I know who didn't take that piece of plastic off has a crack in their PSP's faceplate next to the Home button from the pressure. The PSP stays in place in the case just fine without it, and it is the best case ever, as people are saying.

Odd, mine doesn't have one. I never really use the screen protector anyway. I mostly like the case since it lets me carry along multiple UMDs.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've got the Logitech one ( for my Phat), and a softcase when BB had them on clearance.

For the discs, I got the "official" cases; the black plastic ones that stack 3 UMDs.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ZalinZalin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just have the Sony PSP Pouch, it's a soft case. And I bought a pack of the Icon UMD game protectors. Since i dont really need a large case when going places, would usually only need the game in the PSP and 1 game in my pocket. I am thinking of picking up a large case for easy library storage though.

Zalin on
    Steam: Zalin Drelan | PSN: Aragorn566
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd love to see some proof of claims that the PSP is so fragile. I've flung mine across the room so many times when the AC cable is laying across my lap that I have a hard time believing that its fragile.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This seems like the proper place to ask. I'd be interested in a cheap PSP stand for watching video on my PSP without having to hold it up for hours. I don't need a speaker dock or a charge cradle, just something to prop it up toward my face. And this would be while having headphones plugged in, so I can't just lean it on its lower edge.

I guess I could make something ugly but workable out of cardboard, but does anybody know of any actual products like this?

cheez on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The case I own can be set up so that it faces that way, as long as it's on a good level surface.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cheez wrote: »
    This seems like the proper place to ask. I'd be interested in a cheap PSP stand for watching video on my PSP without having to hold it up for hours. I don't need a speaker dock or a charge cradle, just something to prop it up toward my face. And this would be while having headphones plugged in, so I can't just lean it on its lower edge.

I guess I could make something ugly but workable out of cardboard, but does anybody know of any actual products like this?

As CJ Iwakura said, his case props up -- I remember the Playgear Pocket being able to do this as well, and I'd assume the slim version can as well.

Man, I loved the Playgear Pocket so much. I had to buy a new case with my Slim, and they hadn't come out with the new version of the PGP yet.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

[SNIP]

I have this case and did not have this problem. I DID get scratches on my screen as the case does not prevent small items from coming in via one of the many openings. Also, my case at least was designed for the PSP-1000 and the PSP-2000 is a bit loose in it.

Overall I do quite like it though.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    cheez wrote: »

As CJ Iwakura said, his case props up -- I remember the Playgear Pocket being able to do this as well, and I'd assume the slim version can as well.

Man, I loved the Playgear Pocket so much. I had to buy a new case with my Slim, and they hadn't come out with the new version of the PGP yet.

Right on. I'll have to see if I can grab one of these before my plane trip next week. I already have a soft travel case that works great for protection, but it doesn't function as a stand.

cheez on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have the old Playgear Pocket for my phat, and while you can stand it up, if you have a straight jack on your headphones it won't stand up very well (the jack will be taller than the 'stand' and will be resting on the table top). If your headphones have a 90 degree bend in the jack you'll be fine though.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have the old Playgear Pocket for my phat, and while you can stand it up, if you have a straight jack on your headphones it won't stand up very well (the jack will be taller than the 'stand' and will be resting on the table top). If your headphones have a 90 degree bend in the jack you'll be fine though.

Ah, that is very relevant. My headphones have a straight jack.

cheez on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a lot of really cool, completely needless but still beautiful PSP (and DS and everything else) accessories on sites like Play-Asia and Yesasia. I got my current PSP case from there—I don't remember what it's called, but it's a soft fabric case that's really nice—along with an 8 UMD case and some DS accessories too.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations, I've placed a few orders :)

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra