As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fashion Advice

LuinmacLuinmac Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently went out for the first time on my own to buy myself a nice suit.

Well, upon looking around, I came to a conclusion and tried one on, and bought the combo. I really like it, and I like the look.

I did a little research on it and found out that it's considered tacky, and not very accepted?

Eh, shed some light on this... because I don't think there's anything wrong with it:

Black textured dress shirt, black tie with a little sheen to it, black jacket and black dress pants.

Is there really anything wrong with wearing an all-black ensamble? Even without the tie/jacket?

Thanks!

Luinmac on

• Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    D&D has a great fashion thread up and running and they give good advice. It would also help if you posted pictures of the combo.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    -Phil- wrote: »
    D&D has a great fashion thread up and running and they give good advice. It would also help if you posted pictures of the combo.

This, plus most men's clothing stores have people there to help you pick something out that works and looks good. They really know what they are talking about.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From what I always been told, you never want the tie to blend into the shirt. It should be a color that makes it jump out.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like a hit man's outfit.

Get a white or maroon shirt and you would be fine.

meeker on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    meeker wrote: »
    Sounds like a hit man's outfit.

No, that's the black suit, black pants, white shirt, red tie.

Endorsed by Agent 47 himself!

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    black-suit.jpg

Not me... obviously...

But similar to that? Is that really that bad?

Luinmac on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes. Also, that's like a male model or something, and he if he can't pull it off, there's almost no chance you can.

Grid System on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Haha, you should block out the douchey-face before you judge it :P

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hired this suit for my wedding, i usually hate smart clothing, i loved this, it was so comfy!
    Wedding_0057.jpg

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Luinmac wrote: »
    Is that really that bad?

No.

It's worse.

Buy a non-black shirt and you'll be fine.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that really that bad?

No.

It's worse.

Buy a non-black shirt and you'll be fine.

Or a non-black tie.

Or buy one of each and have 3 new outfits!

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i agree. like a burgundy or maroon shirt or even just a white satin tie and youd look tons better

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You won't be pulling off all black unless you have the right skincolor/hair/accessories combo. Even that dude in the picture looks dumb.

I would say take back the shirt if you can or get another shirt.

Also, depending on what this is for..I would say get something other than just a plain black tie. Something that will match the new shirt or watches or sunglasses you wear with it.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I bought my suit, I bought white, light gray, and blue shirts, and red/black and blue/black ties.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buy the following:

White Shirt
    White Tie
    Red Tie

You're welcome.

P.S.

Unless you are a rapper, never ever wear the white tie with that white shirt.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can always change out the shirt, as long as you have the pants and the jacket, you can do whatever you want otherwise, white shirt, blue shirt, black tie, striped tie. Can't guarantee everything will work right, but you do have a lot of mix and match options.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    ZaceZace Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you feel good in it, I say stick with it. It doesn't matter how good or bad a suit looks, as long as your confident in it, the women and/or men will flock to you. FLOCK I SAY!!

Zace on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zace wrote: »
    If you feel good in it, I say stick with it. It doesn't matter how good or bad a suit looks, as long as your confident in it, the women and/or men will flock to you. FLOCK I SAY!!

Your avatar makes your line all the better.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, a suit is about how you feel in it. If you feel confident, if YOU feel like you look good, you will exude it. I used to have a suit that looked like a 70s couch (I kid you not) but I felt powerful in it because it fit well and I stood out in a crowd. Tacky? Holy god, yes. But who cares! Especially when you're a nerd genre -- "tacky" is a part of an individual presence.

Also, I don't think anything in an "all black suit" can be tacky. I mean ... you can likely barely tell the pieces apart regardless. I bet it looks sleek. You'd likely have to show us for the full effect.

mully on
  • Options
    SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    black-suit.jpg
    Not me... obviously...

But similar to that? Is that really that bad?

Man, that suit doesn't really fit that guy AT ALL. The cut on those pants is terrible. Terrible I say. His complexion doesn't fit it. The lighting is really unforgiving (lol harsh midday sunlight). The sunglasses even conspire to make it look worse, this could be a function of the totally unforgiving light though. Posture looks terrible, but I'm gonna say that the jacket is too tight in the chest. That photo is just, man, it's terrible. And these things come together to make the suit look worse than it does.

Even correcting for the AWFUL photo... It would still look bad. Almost any other shirt/tie combo within reason could save that dude, but he picked the one that maybe like 7 people on the planet can pull off. Sucks for him. Basically, don't dress like that guy.

Sporked on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buy the following:

White Shirt
    White Tie
    Red Tie

You're welcome.

P.S.

As far as I'm concerned EVERY man should have these three things. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zace wrote: »

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. You can wear a t-shirt you got off Threadless and as long as you feel confident in your shirt, you will look confident and everything will be alright. Unless you look like Carrot Top, that is. There is no hope for that man.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Buy the following:

White Shirt
    White Tie
    Red Tie

You're welcome.

P.S.

Definitely on the white shirt. I'd say blue or gold tie instead of white tie. Basically, your tie should almost always be darker than your shirt. With a white tie, it poses a challenge.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Buy the following:

White Shirt
    White Tie
    Red Tie

You're welcome.

P.S.

Definitely on the white shirt. I'd say blue or gold tie instead of white tie. Basically, your tie should almost always be darker than your shirt. With a white tie, it poses a challenge.

Well, he has a black shirt already. Really the black shirt/suit with white tie combo isn't bad. But, yes, as a rule of thumb the tie is darker than the shirt.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    please don't wear a black dress shirt with a black suit

it does not matter what color your tie is

thank you :)

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah matching colors on the jacket and shirt seems like a big mistake to me. You need to break things up with some contrast.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is it just the jacket/shirt that's the bad combo?

What about just the shirt/pants/tie? I think that still looks good... so maybe do without the jacket for a still casual but less formal ensamble?

Luinmac on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Any outfit that is all one colour (i.e. without significant contrast) is probably bad.

Grid System on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    plus it isnt very flattering if youre heavier and/or sickly thin

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

What about just the shirt/pants/tie? I think that still looks good... so maybe do without the jacket for a still casual but less formal ensamble?
    As stated, the problem is contrast. A light colored shirt would break things up and make the tie noticeable, and therefore actually worth wearing.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Really, it's the shirt. If it were pants/jacket/tie that all matched, that'd be OK. But when you make an entire outfit a single color, it looks boring. Depending on the color, it can look really tacky.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Well, he has a black shirt already. Really the black shirt/suit with white tie combo isn't bad. But, yes, as a rule of thumb the tie is darker than the shirt.

I'd put that look somewhere between "guido" and "emo". "Guimo" maybe?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

this is still not a good idea sorry!!

you remind me a little of me before I really knew how to dress myself--I sort of knew that it was a good idea for your clothes to "match," so I thought "hey black matches with itself, why not just wear a lot of that?" well, the reason is because it makes you look like a tool. things should "match" but there is a lot of room for creativity, and being scared shitless of screwing up will lead you to doing things like wearing all one color, which--irony!--is itself a screw up.

on a less philosophical note--you said in your OP that you wanted to buy a "nice suit," and then talk about getting a "black jacket and black dress pants." if you bought them separately then it is not a suit, and you shouldn't wear them together because it will look bad. if it is actually a suit, then never mind.

what sort of places/events do you want to dress up for? that will go a long way towards people giving you useful advice.

also don't buy a white necktie thanks~

scrivenerjones on