As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guess what? There's a new RPG in town: Drakensang! FAQ about everything on page 7

RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
14dg0tv.jpg
Platform : PC
When : 02/23/09 NA 03/27/09 EU(english)
Genre : RPG
Hardcore : Hell yeah

So what's it all about, Sir Seymour?
Quite possibly the best cRPG since the Witcher, and before that, many many years into the dark past, comes from the depths of Germany Drakensang : The Dark Eye!

What is this game exactly? Well first it looks a lot like the Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2 & Dragon Age. It's a 3D RPG, accommodating up to 4 party members, dozens of skills and many hours of hack and slash and sidequest goodness. The kind of game that comes out once a year. Or maybe twice a year as 2009 is looking bright. This game fits like a warm glove, any RPG fan will feel right at home. The game takes place not in the DnD universe but in the Dark Eye universe, a similar ruleset really popular in Germany.

The Dark Eye? I'm blind here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye

Those that remember the old Realms of Arkania games 10 years ago have some familiarity with the fantasy Dark Eye universe, but in essence this is similar in depth to the Dungeons & Dragons universe. If Dragon Age has the right to call itself the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, then so does Drakensang, since the game is just if not more heavy with numbers and complexity, all under the hood of course.

Do you roll characters in this one? No, you customize from scratch any of 21 classes. You have 8 attributes like strength, intuition, dexterity; 24 talents(skills) from healing wounds to seeing invisible passages; 3 crafting disciplines; many different spells, weapon and armor customization. Your warriors have combat skills too, instead of astral energy they use endurance, over 30 different active and passive combat skills to choose from.

Can I try it?
In fact there's a demo out, try the main website http://www.drakensang.com/ . The demo is quick to download, less than 600 megs and does it by cutting some of the higher resolution textures.
For those who have trouble fitting 30 minutes of downloading in their busy schedule, we already have a nice LP going! I am going to link to the first video of the LP where the guy discovers the game with you. The videos are also HD, just sit back and enjoy an excellent introduction and discovery to this amazing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8aYO9E8qAo&feature=channel_page

Also, (kinda) pretty pictures! Forgive the low resolution, I set everything to minimum for my slow laptop. Overall I find the game runs faster than the Witcher, loading times are not as common at all.
PICS!! Follow me on my wild adventures to wild clearings and average towns!!
Part 1.
First a few screens from the demo, oogle at them stat junkies.

This is the talent screen, not one of these skills determines how hard you bash skulls. The thinking man's RPG. Maybe.
14lpu2u.jpg

Next I jumped the weapon screen, this shows you the combat skills. These skills do help you bash skulls, or perforate them. And for the wimps in the defensive category, how not to let it happen to you.
ibcthz.jpg

Many spells. You can increase their strength like any other attribute up to now, spend experience points where ever you want, when you want.
24ee5tv.jpg

In fact, you can even summon evil monsters. Yes, you "roleplay" as an evil bastard.
2vmfw4x.png

Bowyer. Deadlier than it sounds. Some of the best weapons are crafted with blacksmithing too.
2vnoy9d.jpg

You also get... plant gathering! The developer hasn't yet confirmed whether this will break the balance of the game, but there's a good bet it will, future alchemists.
2cs88cx.jpg

And Quests!! There are a lot of quests in the demo alone. Exactly what you'd expect the good cRPG to have.

2psg2v5.jpg
6gha9w.jpg

You get to meet her later again. Such production assets cannot be wasted on a simple quest.
Part 2.

Here are some screenshots from my voyages around town, using my newly improved cutting edge party.

This is my burglar and his companions. He only steals from rich people. You have a lot of customization for your look, it's great.
fupfsl.png

A bear has run away from his beastmaster, he was so nice too, it always happens when you least expect it!
330rafb.png

Let's hope "dancing" here doesn't stand for its martial skills.
v48m5z.png

I think he smelled the many berries I have in my pocket.
3088ohz.png

It actually turned out I didn't have the skills necessary to wrestle him for control, oh well. On with our journey!

We are in a dungeon here. This ugly creature is happy to spread the ugliness around, his attacks decrease your charisma.
2yl8x04.png

They're really tough too, only 3 of them and you're practically dead. The game is always challenging.
2nsnktt.png

That's it for now. Actually wait, there's more!

Minor spoilers
You get to own your own house in this game. You can deposit loot there, travel quickly, and it looks nice too.

6h6hp2.png

In your garden you can grow plants you previously encountered. I also bought a chicken as you can see. I have no idea what the chicken does, but I'm glad Drakensang has chicken mechanics gameplay.
2r5u8w5.png
2vbv5v7.png
a4wmk4.png

But the best part about this game is that, it's about time. There hasn't been a cRPG so immersive in years. Even the Witcher frustrated me with some design choices(drunkness anyone?) or extreme loading times, this game is a joy to discover. What's the difference between that sword that's D+1 or that doubleaxe that's W+3? I still have no idea.(actually it might be a bug) Have fun just like the first RPGs you played years ago!

Where can I get this?
This game has quietly come out after February 24. Some people have problems finding it, I recommend Amazon since the game has a nice manual with it. But Direct2Drive and Gamergate are also 2 digital download options.

Oh and the game retails for about $30. It doesn't feel like a budget title though. And a sequel has already been announced! So this could turn into a beautiful friendship..

Common questions
Rear the manual. Just kidding.
You can also always look at http://www.chromatrix.com/html/tde-games.html which lists the rules there. I synthesized their information in this post sometimes.
If you want to figure it out yourself, press k to see all the under the hood information.

Camera Problems
I even got into a scuffle with a few posters here. Initially when you first play, the camera feels very wrong. This is because there hasn't been many multi character party 3D games, the camera work is different from a 1 person 3D game where the camera is always behind the player. Having such a camera wouldn't work for a team game so you need multiple perspectives.

If the farthest camera mode is 1, and the closest is 4, use the mouse wheel to switch between them. 1 is the best to order a party around. 3 is best to order a single character around. In 3, use WASD to move around. 2 is also pretty good in all situations.
How does Combat work?
The higher your stats in general, the better.
Say you have 10 attack value (AV). You can increase this by spending point in the weapon mastery.
When you swing, you roll a 20 sided dice.
So 10 in AV with hit 50% of the time.
But wait, your enemy then adds the highest of Parry (PA) or Dodge (DV) to that number.
So for example :
You roll a 3.
Your enemy has 5 in PA and 4 in DV.
subtotal = 8
You have AV of 10, so you hit.
At this point, your damage kicks in. a 1D weapon rolls a 6 sided dice, doing 1-6 damage. 1D+4 is 5-10 damage.
You roll say 5 damage. You then subtract the armor value (AR) of their armor from that damage.
He has 1 in AR, so you inflict 4 damage.
I'm wounded
If you ever receive in one hit more damage than your constitution, you will receive a wound. Wounds decrease your Parry, Dodge and Attack values. After a few wounds, you will miss all swings basically and be a walking punching bag.
The talent Fortitude also protects you from wounds, it rolls some kind of talent check and you have a chance to avoid the wound.
To heal wounds, you need the Treat Wound skill and you need bandages or other similar curing items.
How do talents work?
5oc8s0.png

Most talents will have a talent check to succeed. How do they work? This is how:
Say you want to heal some wounds. First you must select the bandages and then click on a friend.
You roll 3 20 sided dices for the 3 attributes that govern Treat Wound. They are Cleverness (CL), Charisma (CH) and Dexterity (DE).
If you roll 2 20s, you fail. If you roll 2 1s, you succeed.
Your Treat Wound talent is at 12 and you have a +1 bonus from the bandages for a total of 13.
You roll a 14 in CL. Rhulana has 9 in CL.(I forgot) You subtract 5 points from your Talent Points (TaP), you now have 8.
You roll a 6 in CH. Rhulana has 7 in CH because of a status down. Because your CH is still higher, your TaP remain at 8.
You roll a 11 in DE. Rhulana has 11 so your TaP remain at 8.
Now you add the difficulty rating. Here the difficulty is 0. If it was +3, you would reduce your TaP to 5.
If your TaP are above 0, you succeed!
Why won't pick lock work?
As seen in the Talent explanation, your governing attributes have a huge impact on the chance of success. A mage with 10 in all 3 pick lock attributes will have a -30 disadvantage. A thief might have 15 in all 3 attributes for a -15 disadvantage. This means the mage needs 15 in lockpick to be equal to the thief in ability! No way! So first boost your attributes and your pick lock pick talent.

You also get a -10 penalty if you don't use a tool, virtually guaranteeing you'll fail. Hairpins give +1 and are disposable. Lockpicking knives give +2 and are not destroyed after an attempt.
Place the tool in your hotbar. Click on the tool then on the locked chest. Now finally you will have a fair chance to open the chest.
How to detect traps?
You need a high value in the perception talent.
How do I get new spells, talents, combat skills or crafting formulas?
Various NPCs sell them. Check that you meet the requirements.
How do I craft?
You can copy down the formula anytime, but you must have the minimum prowess to craft the item. Go to a workbench. Put all the materials in your inventory. Now click on the workbench, select the formula and craft the item. No talent check required.

---Yeah
Renegen on

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think Dwarfnose Bagthumper is my new favorite insult.

Also: I must try the demo.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renegen wrote: »

If you can speak german or austrian...

Heh.

Critter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Critter wrote: »

Heh.

Doh, but wait, isn't it a bit different? I know Austria and Switzerland are special.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is a truly excessive looking list of two letter abbreviations on her character sheet. Is this even more needlessly complicated than (pre-4E) D&D? :P

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Critter wrote: »

Heh.

Doh, but wait, isn't it a bit different? I know Austria and Switzerland are special.

Special is a good way to describe it, yeah.

Special German.

Critter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    That is a truly excessive looking list of two letter abbreviations on her character sheet. Is this even more needlessly complicated than (pre-4E) D&D? :P

Na, it's just different so you can have fun figuring it all out again.

It is weird though, you'd except a 1D to be followed by an ...8 or something, but it's just 1D - 3. Huh?

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This isn't the first game to be based on the most popular Pen and Paper RPG in Germany. The Realms of Arkania trilogy was a great old-school RPG that I remember playing back in the early 90s. Here's a Wikipedia link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realms_of_Arkania:_Blade_of_Destiny

Good times. I wonder what edition of Das Schwarze Auge they are using for this new game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd mounteblank Queen Salina :winky:

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have to bump this, I think a lot of people have missed it!

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd mounteblank Queen Salina :winky:

I thought the same damn thing :winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man the names in this are fantastic. Feysiriel Thunderecho? I'll buy it just for that.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This looks like it could be cool, but it's the kind of game that will suck or be awesome depending on its story so I have to reserve judgment.

Food on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man the names in this are fantastic. Feysiriel Thunderecho? I'll buy it just for that.

The name of your main character is randomly generated, they can get quite crazy. Also they differ depending on the race you use.

Food wrote: »
    This looks like it could be cool, but it's the kind of game that will suck or be awesome depending on its story so I have to reserve judgment.

I don't know, the game seems quite high quality, I expect a good story.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well this thread reminded me that I own The Witcher and I have started playing it again and it is awesome. This looks good too, I love German RPG's. Wasn't the Gothic series made in Germany? Those were awesome games too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShaquarShaquar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't played it but the game recieved rather good ratings in the german press. Ranged between 80s and 90s.

And yes, the Gothic series was made in Germany.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was going to make a thread about this game, but that's a far better OP than I could've done.
    Been playing the demo since it came out, I really like it. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So is there anything besides stat sheets in this game?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Was considering the demo the other day, in-game graphics look decent and, well, real crpgs are rare these days. Will give it a whirl.

But Renegen is clearly a communist because he doesn't like The Witcher. You bastard.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh yes, there is more than stat sheets, I just got tired of the crashings and just played. The combat is quite good and interesting. It's basic in that you click and kill the monster, but it's also hard and you must always be prepared or run away. The real challenge is to keep fighting strength between fights, because when you're injured, you're injured. A lot of cool small things like that add a lot to the immersion.

Of course, there's the demo to try it out... go, there are very few worthy RPGs coming out.

And I do like the Witcher, but something was just off a bit..

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I might have to check this out. I'm still a little confused as to what it is though. Is it pretty much like Diablo or this there more thinking involved?

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's an RPG. I'd say it's actually pretty close to the Witcher in terms of what to expect but you have way deeper character customization. It's like BG2 in a way, or the future Dragon Age. A good old RPG.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's probably closer to NWN/NWN2 (hereafter to be referred to as just NWN) and Dragon Age (which isn't out yet, so we can't make comparisons) than either the Witcher (which is more action oriented) or BG2 (which isn't 3D and is isometric/top-down rather than 3rd person). But I've yet to play the game, so I can't make a generalization yet. It might be more along the Fallout 3/STALKER vein... I highly doubt that it's Diablo, given that it's supposed to be based on Das Schwarze Auge.

Downloading it now. I'll give you a report after I check out the demo.

EDIT: I played through some of the demo. The game is basically Neverwinter Nights 2, except it uses Das Schwarze Auge instead of Dungeons and Dragons. The interface is a lot cleaner, in my opinion. So far the area transitions have been pretty seamless, unlike NWN, but I'd wait for the final game before passing judgment on that.

You can choose from a Dwarf, Battlemage, or an Elf in the demo (you will get an Amazon as a NPC in the demo as well). They also show all of the other classes available at character creation. In addition, there's a locked "Expert mode" which I assume will allow you to roll up your own stats, as you are only allowed to choose your Name and Class when you start.

The first thing that struck me was that the initial load-time was masqueraded by a voice-over, speaking outloud the contents of a letter that was sent to your character. I thought this was a good move on their part... get the exposition out of the way during the loading screen.

Adventures - Going near a quest NPC will bring up either a cutscene or conversation. Whenever you have a conversation with a NPC, it draws the camera to first person perspective so you can talk to folks up-close and personal. Trading is a similar affair, except it brings up the trade window. The map is very functional and has a hand-drawn aesthetic that I love. I wrestled with the camera for a bit, but it is functional and didn't cause major problems for me.

Combat - Pseudo-turn based, just like NWN. It has options for auto-pausing for each combat round or just at the beginning of combat. Magic is MP based (called Astral Energy or something like that... AE is the acronym used). Combat was a pretty straightforward affair... get the red bar (hit points) down to zero. Once you set yourself and your companions to attack, they will continue to auto-attack targets. No big scripting/AI things that you can mess with, like BG or NWN, at least that I can see. The game claims that you can adventure with up to 4 NPC companions. When things die, you can click on their corpse and it brings up an easy-to-use loot window. Wolves don't drop gold, they drop teeth and pelts.

Music - Pretty standard fantasy stuff. Pastoral themes linger in the air, just like pretty much every other fantasy game out there. It's fairly well done, though not groundbreaking by any means.

Sound - A bit annoying, but the voice acting is passable (at least, so far). You'll probably tire of your companions and their repeated slogans, but that's true in all of these games. Nearly every quest encounter has at least some spoken dialog. Some of it is campy, but it works for the most part.

Graphics - Pretty much what you'd expect from a current generation of RPG. It's more detailed than Guild Wars or the original NWN, but a bit less detailed than Fallout 3/Oblivion. The game has this effect where if you are moving through an area where the camera would be obscured by a close-up object (cliff or tree), it would still allow you to view your characters by cutting away the center portion of the obstructed screen. Thus, I haven't run into a part where I can't see what I'm doing yet.

The Das Schwarge Auge system itself is pretty complicated (on par with DnD 2nd or 3rd edition), and I can't really judge it as I haven't played the Pen and Paper system. But the game looks like it tries to emulate the system as much as possible, which is fairly cool.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The name of your main character is randomly generated, they can get quite crazy. Also they differ depending on the race you use.

A good storyline is extremely rare in games.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    TalzunTalzun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game is going to be pretty decent. My only complaints in the demo are no real voice over, and no co-op or multiplayer.

But I like the art style and the character designs, simple and goofy but it kinda fits in with some of the names. And it's no too too goofy. But it is also pretty immersive. They have their own currency, weight system and a very different way of keeping up with armor points.

Anyway, I like. :)

Talzun on
    thegreatseanzy.deviantart.com

Yarr
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JohnDoe wrote: »

A good storyline is extremely rare in games.

In regard to what? The number of games with good stories? The quality of stories in games with supposedly good stories? I might have to disagree with you on both counts. Although to be fair, it's the same for games as it is for books and movies; you need to wade through the vast sea of shit to find the good stuff.

This looks interesting though, I might have to try it out as well...

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Talzun wrote: »
    This game is going to be pretty decent. My only complaints in the demo are no real voice over, and no co-op or multiplayer.

But I like the art style and the character designs, simple and goofy but it kinda fits in with some of the names. And it's no too too goofy. But it is also pretty immersive. They have their own currency, weight system and a very different way of keeping up with armor points.

To be honest I'd rather not have multiplayer in an RPG. It destroys immersion and usually makes any game turn into a hackfest where all do you is kill monsters and get "phat lewt". While that's true for most games, if I'm playing by myself then I'm not pressured into looking for action, I can sit on my ass and immerse myself in the world all I want. I can read it's books, talk to it's citizens, explore the world just to see it, and actually enjoy it without having to worry that some other asshole is going to come along and ruin it all for me.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Talzun wrote: »

To be honest I'd rather not have multiplayer in an RPG. It destroys immersion and usually makes any game turn into a hackfest where all do you is kill monsters and get "phat lewt". While that's true for most games, if I'm playing by myself then I'm not pressured into looking for action, I can sit on my ass and immerse myself in the world all I want. I can read it's books, talk to it's citizens, explore the world just to see it, and actually enjoy it without having to worry that some other asshole is going to come along and ruin it all for me.

" Good Day, Fair Maiden, May I bother thou for a bit of mead? "

" LEIK OMG DUDE COEM ON STOP TLAKIN GAY AN LETS GO KIL LSTUFF LOL "

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Wait. Your friends are hackfest assholes? Because that's probably what the earlier poster was talking about, and not some random Diablo lobby or MMO. The idea is playing through the stories cooperatively with a friend/loved one. My sig other and I play through games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights modules on a regular basis together. It's a lot of fun, and it makes even crappy games like Dungeon Lords a joy to play. Heck, Pen and Paper roleplaying games are essentially a multiplayer experience, and playing single player just makes me feel like I'm "just playing" a video game, rather than having a good roleplay session.

Not that "just playing" a video game is bad, mind you... the idea for most computer RPGs is that the computer substitutes for the GM. But having played Pen and Paper RPGs for most of my life, I expect a bit more from my RPGs. Even the so-called immersive and massive games like Oblivion and Fallout pale in comparison to the unlimited adventures that I've had with my friends in multiplayer games (Tabletop AND online).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ToxicToxic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played through the demo a few months ago .. it was a nice experience. Can't wait to buy the full version.

Toxic on
    I'm a cruddy old gamer.
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would gladly try this demo but it decided to crash on start up giving some explanation on how it couldn't initialize it's audio sub system. Looks fun though.

Got it working but the solution doesn't make sense.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried the demo out... I didn't care for it at all, and I love cRPGs.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This looks interesting, I've been looking for decent RPG's for the PC for quite a while now. I guess I'll check out the demo to see whether my aging rig can run this.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Was it the camera that killed it? Cause the camera was the main killer for me.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Deswa wrote: »

Have you tried zooming in? The camera follows your character 100% of the time when it's zoomed in closer. Very natural. It does behave weird a bit when it's zoomed out, but that's just getting used to.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This isn't the first game to be based on the most popular Pen and Paper RPG in Germany. The Realms of Arkania trilogy was a great old-school RPG that I remember playing back in the early 90s. Here's a Wikipedia link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realms_of_Arkania:_Blade_of_Destiny

Good times. I wonder what edition of Das Schwarze Auge they are using for this new game.

Blade of Destiny is a truly epic game, it's how an rpg should be with first person exploration with SRPG style grid turn based battles, played that a lot with a couple of friends when I was younger. Fantastic game. Perfect Gold Box style game.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I didn't have too many issues with the camera... mainly just that it wasn't very interesting, the dialog choices were rudimentary, and didn't really give you the ability to say what you want to say, so to speak. It's not a terrible looking game, but the animations felt a bit stiff and clunky, and almost every NPC had the annoying habit of evoking some particular god or goddess during conversation, sometimes multiple times, which was sort of awkward. I just didn't care for it.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Have you tried zooming in? The camera follows your character 100% of the time when it's zoomed in closer. Very natural. It does behave weird a bit when it's zoomed out, but that's just getting used to.
    Yeah, I tried fully zoomed in, still hated it.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I didn't have too many issues with the camera... mainly just that it wasn't very interesting, the dialog choices were rudimentary, and didn't really give you the ability to say what you want to say, so to speak. It's not a terrible looking game, but the animations felt a bit stiff and clunky, and almost every NPC had the annoying habit of evoking some particular god or goddess during conversation, sometimes multiple times, which was sort of awkward. I just didn't care for it.

I have a hard time to believe that you "love cRPGs" when there's less than 1 of them coming out a year. But anyway, you have the right to an opinion. I just think you could have played the demo for longer than 10 minutes before discarding it, especially for someone who "loves" the genre.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A game has ten minutes to capture me. If it doesn't, it isn't worth my time. I gave this shit forty; it wasn't my thing. It irked me from the first minute I started playing it. Don't be a condescending dickbag because my opinion varies from yours.

The Sneak! on