As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Circuit City: Everything Must Go!

EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Circuit City to liquidate remaining US stores. Soon it'll be all Wal-Mart. What's next? Discuss!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95OBUM00&show_article=1&catnum=0

If there is a deal on nice new large screen LCD or plasma I will be all over it!

Treats Animals Right!
Emanon on

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess this is one of the perks of having your economy go up in flames.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They keep blaming this on the recession, and poor holiday shopping, but this has been building for 8+ months. Really the lackluster Christmas season was just the final straw. I know Ars has had a series of articles on Circuit City's immenent demise called Circling The Drain going since at least October.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah circuit city was on a list of stores not to buy gift cards from because they were going under. Nothing to do with the recession. Everything to do with bad management, I mean when you fire all your good knowledgeable employees because its cheaper not to have them, you're on your way down.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sadly I cannot remember the last time I visited a Circuit City. They couldn't differentiate themselves from Best Buy and there wasn't many good deals there either. Such a shame.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm in the market for a new computer monitor in a couple more weeks. This is good news for me!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Chicago stores closed at the end of last year, they were all in the first batch to go. The "sales" weren't, first they marked everything back up to the original MSRP, then gave a discount on that. So a TV you could find at Best Buy for $1500 would be $3000 at Circuit City, marked down 50% to $1500. The only actual deals I saw while picking through the wreckage were on DVDs and Blu-Rays.

They're the "exclusive" dealer for a certain type of Lexmark ink that we use at work, so we're going to have to start buying it through Lexmark's site now which blows.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Someone needs to offer to accept their gift cards.

"Want that $1000 TV, but can't use that $100 gift card? Come to us!"

MKR on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For the past few years I've heard was Circuit City was closing it's doors. Still hasn't happened. I think it's a clever marketing ploy at this point.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    For the past few years I've heard was Circuit City was closing it's doors. Still hasn't happened. I think it's a clever marketing ploy at this point.

Their stocks have tanked since 2007, and they're no longer listed because it went too low. This isn't a trick. This is the culmination of years of bad decisions and failed marketing strategies.

MKR on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's still Fry's Electronics. They did the right thing... they differentiated themselves from Best Buy by sort of becoming a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack... having the normal stuff, but also catering to the techno-nerds who are into modding and stuff like that.

Which is good, because I love Fry's Electronics way more then Best Buy.

And this says everything needed about Radio Shack.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah circuit city was on a list of stores not to buy gift cards from because they were going under. Nothing to do with the recession. Everything to do with bad management, I mean when you fire all your good knowledgeable employees because its cheaper not to have them, you're on your way down.

Yeah, funny story. I once applied to work at Circuit City as a computer sales rep, right out of college. I'd already spent three years in college alternately working as a computer tech and as computer lab support so I had some experience under my belt. Keep in mind that they had a "Now Hiring!" sign on their counter and I'd asked before submitting my application what positions they were hiring for and computer sales rep was one of the positions available.

So everything on my app pointed solidly towards computers. I got the interview, and as soon as the interview started they started asking me about my interest in music. Okay, whatever, maybe this was icebreaker chat. But it continued, and all of their loss prevention questions were music-oriented like "what would you do if you if you saw a coworker slide a CD under his jacket?" Then the interviewer walked out and was replaced by somebody else, who said, "So you want to be in our music department, huh?" "No, I'm applying to be a computer sales rep." "Oh, that's weird." He looks down, shuffles his papers, and said, "Sorry, I guess my notes are wrong. That's okay, none of my questions are department specific," and he continued to ask me basically the same loss prevention question phrased 20 different ways: what would you do if you saw an employee stealing?

Then that interviewer walked out and was replaced by another, who led with "So you want to be in our music department?" This happened again, with another interviewer, yet a different person, again asking me essentially identical questions, none of which had a damn thing to do with experience or work ethic or anything but "what would you do if you saw somebody stealing?" By the fourth interviewer I said, "Look, I really just want to work in the computer department. I don't want to sell CDs," and he looked me straight in the eye and said, "We don't think your application is a good match for our computer department." I was flabbergasted and just stayed in my seat while the interview continued, but half-way through that I got really tired of being asked 12 or 15 more times what I would do if I caught somebody stealing, so I just said, "You know what, there's been a big misunderstanding, I'm really looking for computer field experience. Thanks for your time," and walked out.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Funny story..

My wife and I bought a TV from Circuit City in November. While we're there a couple salesmen come up to us, ask us the usual stuff.. eventually my wife gets a little annoyed and asks them if they want help finding a job as they'll soon be out of one. In her defense, she was serious and didn't realize at the time how mean and spiteful it was.

I can't really mock her for it anymore, however, since he really could use some help finding one.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    There's still Fry's Electronics. They did the right thing... they differentiated themselves from Best Buy by sort of becoming a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack... having the normal stuff, but also catering to the techno-nerds who are into modding and stuff like that.

For a while there Radio Shack was really screwing the pooch, they pulled more and more individual components out of the store and looked like they were going to just turn into another consumer electronics store. I guess they realized the error of their ways, because their parts section is back in full swing.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm. Does anyone know when the liquidation sales go into effect?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm doing my senior case study on Circuit City.

I'm not sure if I should be D:D:D: or :winky::winky::winky:.

Still, it's no surprise. I picked the company figuring that they would make for some interesting reading, and then the economic crisis hit in September and then they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in November. I worked for CC for a little while a year ago.

Their management is incompetent as all hell. I remember one Saturday night I was the only one working in the Tech section, and suddenly the store manager comes to me and tell me we have to re-organize all the computer displays. Keep in mind I'm not a supervisor and he's nowhere to be found, and also keep in mind I am given no instructions or have any idea what to do with the current display models. Few things get done by the end of the night, and the next morning, I get a call asking me to come in and help with some "big changes" to my section. Forget that they've been through four company presidents since 2000, and one of their biggest stockholders continues to demand that everyone on the board be fired. And to top it all off, before the economic crisis hit, their stock prices had been dragging well under $10 since the middle of 2007. I said it a year ago and I'll say it again: the company is run like a circus.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Fry's is a giant warehouse with employees trying their best to look like they are busy.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I worked as seasonal help for about two weeks back in 2004. Two things stick in my mind the most from that period and they were the reason I just up and walked out one day. One; I worked the computer section, and was randomly dragged out to work digital cameras one day, despite knowing absolutely nothing about digital cameras, and two; they never taught me how to work the fucking register. You'd think learning how to take the customer's money would be priority number one for them, but apparently not.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I worked as seasonal help for about two weeks back in 2004. Two things stick in my mind the most from that period and they were the reason I just up and walked out one day. One; I worked the computer section, and was randomly dragged out to work digital cameras one day, despite knowing absolutely nothing about digital cameras, and two; they never taught me how to work the fucking register. You'd think learning how to take the customer's money would be priority number one for them, but apparently not.

Well no because if they teach you to work the register you might steal money.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I used to work for Circuit City and honestly the only reason why they have employees is so they can sort out the god damn music. Not to mention the software they use to inventory their stuff is something out of the late 70s.

At Borders you can walk in the store, go to a kiosk, type in the name of the stuff you want. After 20 seconds of work you know if Borders carries it or not, and whether or not the store haves a copy.

At Circuit City you have to ask a employee, who then have to pull out a tome with all CDs/DVDs inventory listed, and spend 30 minutes flipping through the pages. Of course they only print this stupid list out once every month or so (if anyone isnt lazy enough not to do it), so chances are all your searching is in vain because they ran out of copies. A good 15 or so minutes wasted.

The only bad thing that'll come from Circuit City closing is now we have these huge ass buildings that noone is going to be able to afford to rent, which will become magnets to wannabe gangsters and all around dumbasses.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like they didn't get just what they needed (sung to the tune of their '07 X-Mas ads).

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Oh, it's gotten worse since then. Now if you sign up to work in computers, you're automatically trained to sell cameras as well. I think they incorporated it all into a "Technology Department," or something. But that's not all. Now you're expected to train in every section of the store, so that you can go over to televisions and sell them just like you would a computer. The worst part was that they expected me to go over and sell car stereo systems, which I know nothing about. Sure, they trained me...with that stupid e-learning bullshit.

You can imagine how terrible an idea this is. I had just gotten accustomed to selling computers when they announced I needed to also have the knowledge to sell everything else in the store. Now imagine me going into car stereos and confusing the fuck out of somebody, while someone from car stereos goes over the computers and confuses the fuck out of somebody.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Fry's is a giant warehouse with employees trying their best to look like they are busy.

And?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So... here is my run down of stores that have shut down recently.

CompUSA- deservedly shut down
    Sharper Image- Not soon enough
    Linens N'Things- At least I saved money on their 500 thread-count bedding during their liquidation.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd be interested if anyone knows when this will be happening as well. I'm in the market for a new TV, and this would really work out nicely for me. I'm sorry it's happening to them, but their prices have been so high for so long that I've never bought anything there and asking an employee if they have something in stock was a joke.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

And?

It's a good thing because the last thing I want is a bunch of people pestering me.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »

How would that even work?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Eh, the vacant buildings will probably be knocked down and turned into strip malls.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It wouldn't. The first thing to get dumped in a bankruptcy settlement will be the gift cards, they're all unsecured.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    I'd be interested if anyone knows when this will be happening as well. I'm in the market for a new TV, and this would really work out nicely for me. I'm sorry it's happening to them, but their prices have been so high for so long that I've never bought anything there and asking an employee if they have something in stock was a joke.
    You most likely won't end up with a deal. Or at least, not one you couldn't find somewhere else. You'd be better off watching sites like slickdeals for a reputable company to put a TV on sale.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

And?

It's a good thing because the last thing I want is a bunch of people pestering me.

I know. That's half the reason I go there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I could see competitors offering some percentage discount (up to a maximum) for giftcards. So if you turn in a $100 giftcard, maybe they give you a $25 or $50 discount...just as a way to try and draw in customers.

Of course, this would be dependent on knowing how much value was on the giftcard, since those systems will be going bye bye (and I'm assuming, since I don't have a CC around, that they don't do face-value cards...nobody does anymore). So while it might work in theory, in reality it would be impossible.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

And their prices on games are a fucking sick joke. Like shit from the Gamecube is going for like $30.

Circuit City is going out of business because everything there was overpriced.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

And?

While I usually don't look for help at these stores, I do know that customers would sometimes come up to me and mention how annoyed they were that most of the employees were too busy hanging out over near the car audio speakers when they needed help.

Granted, these are old people who know nothing of routers or computers.

EDIT: oh shit, I just realized I have a $20 gift card I need to spend.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The CC here has good deals on movies and cds the first week they're released, everything else is pretty expensive though.

The news kinda sucks because it's the only electronics store around here, but maybe Best Buy will open a store here or something.

Blakout on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, Omeks, you and me are like kindred spirits from different parents. You put up with the same bullshit at Circuit City that I did at Best Buy, in the computer department no less. And Feral's interview sounds a lot like the one I had at BB, except I was actually asked a couple basic tech questions. I had actually applied for the media department though, because I knew going in it was an easier job. Wound up in computers for 2 years and 3 months.

Anyways, I'd like to see when the deals kick in. I'll head over to one and pillage their Blu-Rays and Xbox/360 games.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Best buy has always provided the most awful service I can get ever anytime. I go there because they have good selection but I avoid their blueshirts like the plague. I even worked with a guy who worked there and he recommended the same.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2009
    So, no more creepy CC-qua-pimp commercials? Yay, the market works.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

And their prices on games are a fucking sick joke. Like shit from the Gamecube is going for like $30.

Circuit City is going out of business because everything there was overpriced.

I know! I know the idea is to make money, but I think they failed to realize that sometimes you have to just make enough to stay in business if you want to not go bankrupt.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't know if this was common, but my problem with the Circuit City in my neighborhood is that they had one customer service counter. So everybody doing returns and exchanges ended up in the same line as the people picking up items as the people who just want to buy a controller and some damn batteries.

And then they tell you "oh, anybody can ring you up in any department" but good luck finding somebody available to do so.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Best buy has always provided the most awful service I can get ever anytime. I go there because they have good selection but I avoid their blueshirts like the plague. I even worked with a guy who worked there and he recommended the same.

The weird thing is that I almost never get pestered by blueshirts when I go to Best Buy, even if they're standing around and I pass right by one. It's like the complete opposite of Circuit City, which stresses that we greet every customer to give the optimal customer experience.

Most pathetic of all, at one point, I guess to combat slow sales, they actually sent out a memo telling us that we had to greet customers differently. It wasn't just enough to ask them how their day was and if they were finding things alright. Now we had to basically outlay the entire store for them and tell them where to find stuff and if they were looking at something, begin explaining it to them even if they denied your earlier approach and also force a weekly flier into their hands. Needless to say, nobody ever did this, as you could imagine how many sales we would lose.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png