As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google has failed me: Japanese on Firefox

ShadeShade Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Title says it all, I'm trying to get Japanese character/fonts to be visible on firefox/XP in general. I've gone to language and region and installed the Asian files, I've gone to view- encoding on the browser it self. Help?

what pisses me off is I could do this back in freshman year of high school when I was in japanese class. but I've completely forgotten how.

Shade on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    bump kudasai

Shade on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I installed East Asian language support just a few weeks ago after a reformat (on XP Service Pack 2 with Firefox 3.0) and all that was necessary was checking "Install files for East Asian languages". Firefox automagically detects the proper character encoding on every Japanese page I've visited. Try uninstalling/reinstalling the language pack maybe?

Clipse on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Clipse wrote: »
    I installed East Asian language support just a few weeks ago after a reformat (on XP Service Pack 2 with Firefox 3.0) and all that was necessary was checking "Install files for East Asian languages". Firefox automagically detects the proper character encoding on every Japanese page I've visited. Try uninstalling/reinstalling the language pack maybe?
    This is all I can think of as well. I've had no issues with Japanese characters showing up.

Quid on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you can get the support working in Windows generally, then it will work in Firefox specifically since it draws upon global font resources.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    nope still got nothing. erg. tried uninstalling then reinstalling. any other ideas?

Shade on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, what website are you trying to view? And did you put the encoding detection on Japanese-Auto or a specific one?

|EDIT| Do the characters show up properly in Internet Explorer? Try this site: http://www.alc.co.jp/ -- it should work on auto-detect and "Japanese (Shift_JIS)".

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nibble wrote: »
    Well, what website are you trying to view? And did you put the encoding detection on Japanese-Auto or a specific one?

|EDIT| Do the characters show up properly in Internet Explorer? Try this site: http://www.alc.co.jp/ -- it should work on auto-detect and "Japanese (Shift_JIS)".

nope IE does work either..... :(

Shade on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What does it do instead? Square boxes? Question marks? Nothing?

KiTA on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What site is it that you're trying to look at?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    What does it do instead? Square boxes? Question marks? Nothing?

boxes with numbers in them.

Shade on
  • Options
    LuthzLuthz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have this problem from time to time after a fresh install (Including right now), where the eastern language support simply fails to install properly. Does this happen to anyone else?

Luthz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ok got it working, I Downloaded another East Asian folder then reinstalled from that and it worked. my disc must be faulty.

\SOVLED. thanks for the help guys!

Shade on