As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Epic On] Battlestar Galactica Board Game: Game Over

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm cool with that.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ...although if no one played a Strategic Planning on the godsdamned Launch Scout, we may not have one for the jump.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Boomer probably has most of them. I'm sure she'd be happy to help you out though!!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If we can't Strategic Planning the jump, I vote that Starbuck XO Apollo to move into position to defend the civvie ships. EDIT: She should have some Evasive Maneuvers to help him with after her skill draw.

EDIT2: No wait. XO Apollo to move into position and Maximum Firepower those 6 raiders. He should be able to take out at least 3 of them, and the remaining 3 will have to go through him before they can move to the civvies. We should be able to Evasive Maneuver him free of that, at least enough to save one or both of the civvies until his turn. EDIT3: To clarify, I no longer vote for the immediate jump, given the uncertainty of a Strategic Planning. I prefer the plan wherein Apollo frags the frakkers.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, me too.

So say we all?

EDIT: Although the fact that it would be a draw should not preclude gloating of any kind by the side who wins the coin toss. ;-)

Except the chances should be even higher, then 50/50 in favor of the cylons if you include the possibility of the humans losing during Starbucks turn or the case of no one having strategic planning.
    This doesn't mean that I'm generally opposed to a draw, but I really want to see how epic this one plays out.

I want to hear what my robot friends say to this, before I'll make my decision.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    by all means, let's see what the human you call "star-buck" decides to do on her turn. if she decides to take the coinflip, I suppose we could call it a draw.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Might I note that the plan involving maximum dogfighting and risking everything would be very in-character for you, Starbuck? ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have the feeling the humans are going to win this, but I'd like to see it through to the end, one way or another.

I'll go with whatever the majority says, though.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think we'd survive two cylon turns in a row, even if Starbuck doesn't draw a Strategic Planning, I'd recommend just going for it anyway.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If we can't Strategic Planning the jump, I vote that Starbuck XO Apollo to move into position to defend the civvie ships. EDIT: She should have some Evasive Maneuvers to help him with after her skill draw.

EDIT2: No wait. XO Apollo to move into position and Maximum Firepower those 6 raiders. He should be able to take out at least 3 of them, and the remaining 3 will have to go through him before they can move to the civvies. We should be able to Evasive Maneuver him free of that, at least enough to save one or both of the civvies until his turn. EDIT3: To clarify, I no longer vote for the immediate jump, given the uncertainty of a Strategic Planning. I prefer the plan wherein Apollo frags the frakkers.

I would suggest no one played strategic planning on the scout so they'd have strategic planning left for the jump.

And you're assuming they went for raider activations. Remember that Boomer can auto-fail a check, so they just need a -1 morale crisis and it's game over for us.

I say jump, odds are good someone has a strategic planning.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, let's look at it this way: What options would the two Cylons have under that situation?

1) Activate the Cylon Fleet to try and take out Apollo quickly enough to move some raiders to the civvies, so that they could then activate the Fleet again to blast the civvies. They would have to take Apollo out within 3 raiders, which I think we could avoid with Evasive Maneuvers. In any case, that's a risk worth taking, I feel.
    2) Draw Crisis cards: This is a game of chance, as to whether a crisis will come up that completely obliterates us. If it does, Boomer will auto-fail it.
    3) Damage Galactica: I don't really see this killing us before Apollo's turn.

In any of those situations, our probability of survival until Apollo's turn is within what I consider acceptable parameters at this point. Hopefully, jump prep will be at [-1] going into Apollo's turn, and he can XO Starbuck if necessary to move the civvie ships to safety after he launches himself from the Hangar Deck, giving us the possibility that a jump prep on his turn will win the game for us.

Even without a jump prep, assuming we survive his crisis, Boomer will do some shit on her turn, then Tigh can XO someone to Launch Scout and fix Boomer's shit, then do [something else] in addition to the Launch Scout, possibly even another Launch Scout. Then we just have to survive Baltar's turn (which I think, if we set things up right, should be do-able), and we're back into a string of human turns. And that's if we haven't jumped by then.

EDIT: To be honest, I'd prefer to lose this game in a ratfuck of glorious dogfighting than to call it a draw based on a coin-flip.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EDIT: To be honest, I'd prefer to lose this game in a ratfuck of glorious dogfighting than to call it a draw based on a coin-flip.

I don't like liming for truth, but this is my reasoning. :lol:

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No matter how many actions you take, in the end it will always come down to chance. Be it the chance of a raider destroying enough population, or the draw of a moral crisis, it's always not more then the role of a die.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I get that, but one path certainly seems more...honorable? If that term can even be applied to a game. If both paths mean that it is random chance, I would prefer the path that involves us fighting for that chance to simply pulling a lever. I realize that seems silly when I stand back and look at it, but it simply feels more correct.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They get to draw 4 crisis cards. The odds that a combination of two of these will kill us seems overwhelming.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Boomer can only auto-fail one of them. EDIT: I find it mildly amusing that this disagreement is not split down team-lines. :lol:

If we accept a draw over actual victory or defeat, are we truly men? What we have to ask ourselves is, "Why are we a species worth saving?" ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Auto-fail, yes. But they don't have to choose to auto-fail the crisis until they see if we pass or fail it, so we'd need to pass both of them in order to only fail one. And speaking as someone who just discarded 7 cards, things are a bit tight.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I understand that. If we skip the FTL Jump draw, I will have no regrets even if we end up losing as a result.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just think a 50% chance is better than what we'd get running the cylon gauntlet.

And, to be horribly meta, the fact that Valkun waited to see if anyone was going to play strategic planning on the crisis deck scouting is pretty much proof that a human player has one.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The survival of the human race depends on Starbucks decision. She is the harbinger of live and dead.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bremen wrote: »
    I just think a 50% chance is better than what we'd get running the cylon gauntlet.

And, to be horribly meta, the fact that Valkun waited to see if anyone was going to play strategic planning on the crisis deck scouting is pretty much proof that a human player has one.

I'm pretty sure someone has a strategic planning :winky: and I think we should risk the FTL, although I can attempt to start shooting through these raiders if you'd prefer. I'll leave it up to Starbuck

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We can flip a coin, just to see what would happen if Starbuck hit the FTL, and then go with the dogfight option, to play out that possibility.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Does the spectator vote matter? I say you fight it out.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sometimes you just gotta roll a hard six.

I mean, a hard 8.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The war is over. We lost. It's time to think of the living, not the dead.

Bremen on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Then grab the cat and head inside. :P

Peanut Gallery Strategics:
    I doubt you'll survive two Cylon turns plus an auto-fail action from Boomer.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We know exactly what the odds are in the event of an FTL jump. For me, this takes some of the fun out of it. Why don't we just play this scenario out and see what happens?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Because I don't want to lose! :P

Bremen on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, my poor, poor Zarek. I think you need to have a look at the sacred "Historical documents..."

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't really take any more glee in winning a coin flip than in losing one. Maybe that's just me.

For me, it's like this: we've made the decisions that brought us to this coin flip. Whether we win or lose that coin flip, it doesn't really change how well we played the game, how devious/creative we were, etc. It just speaks to how lucky we are. I don't really care about that.

It seems like trying to survive to a guaranteed victory (such as a forced jump at [-1] with 2 population left or an auto-jump) is more indicative of badass-itude. ;-)

EDIT: And yes, I realize I'm the one who put us here by losing population on that forced jump earlier.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The Crisis cards will also be a matter of luck; we just can't calculate it as easily because we're stuck with these human bodies and fleshy brains.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In any case, I think we've talked this point to death. I vote for the dogfight.

(If nothing else, Apollo deserves a medal for going back-and-forth between Sickbay and flight status like a million times in the last several turns.)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    And he refreshingly didn't whine to Starbuck about how he wished he hadn't come back alive.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    of course, there is a third way this can go: starbuck might never show up to take her turn!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If she doesn't show up by noon, I'll have one of our spectators make the decision. First come, first serve.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Confidential to spectators:
    Dogfights are more fun to watch.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I vote with Galdalf! We already know that the humans have hung on long enough to effectively force a draw (even if you don't take it). Now, TAKE IT TO THE HOOOOOUUUUSE!

And, er, by "the house" I mean "Kobol".

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If Starbuck doesn't show up soon I call dibs on her turn.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sounds reasonable to me. :-P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Round 5 - Kara Thrace's Turn
    Current Board Setup:

Players:
    1. Hylianbunny - Sharon "Boomer" Valerii - Brig
    2. Abotkin - Vice President Saul Tigh - Brig
    3. MacGuffin - Gaius Baltar - Cylon Fleet
    4. Gandalf_the_Crazed - Admiral Karl "Helo" Agathon - Weapon's Control
    5. Papillon - "Chief" Galen Tyrol - Hangar Deck
    6. Bremen - President Tom Zarek - Sickbay
    7. JWashke - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace - Communications
    8. scrivenerjones - William Adama - Caprica
    9. warban - Laura Roslin - Caprica
    10. Anarchy - Lee "Apollo" Adama - 5 O'Clock

Resources:
    Fuel 2. Food 3. Morale 1. Population 2.
    Jump Track: [Start][No Jump][No Jump]B]-3[/B[-1][Auto]
    Distance Moved: 9
    Boarding Party: Centurion (1/5)
    Raptors: 3 In Reserve
    Vipers: 2 in use, 3 in Reserve, 1 Damaged, 2 Destroyed
    Nukes: 0
    Galactica Damage: Command

Space:
    1 O'Clock: Civilian Ship 1, Civilian Ship 2, 1 Heavy Raider
    3 O'Clock: 6 Raiders
    5 O'Clock: Apollo, 1 Unmanned Viper, 7 Raider
    7 O'Clock: Clear
    9 O'Clock: Clear
    11 O'Clock: 1 Basestar

Turn Progress:
    1. Recieve Skills Step
    2. Movement Step
    3. Action Step - Executive Order on Apollo
    3a. L. Adama's Actions -
    4. Crisis Step - Water Shortage
    5. Activate Cylon Ships Step (if necessary)
    6. Prepare for Jump Step (if necessary)
    7. Discard and Check for Human Defeat.

Action:
    By popular, human, demand, Starbuck will play 1 Leadership - Executive Order on Lee Adama.

Hypothetical Jump Roll:
    7, humans win.

Apollo, show them that humans don't need luck to win.

Valkun on