As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Missin some plugins methinks

DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzleRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Just a quick question.
Recently got my computer reformatted and some of my most used sites don't all work properly.

When I try to look at an image posted on deviantart.com I still get all the information at the top of the page, but the image itself and all the comments below it don't load.

And when I search for something on ign, I can't actually click on the results it finds. It like the results are just an image.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
*TyCart*_banner.jpg
DeMoN on

• Options
    ChubblyChubbly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is javascript turned on?

Chubbly on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't think it's a plugin that's your problem. Looking at the source code on deviantart and ign it looks like it's almost all just javascript. Make sure it's enabled (in Firefox, Tools, Options, Content, Enable Javascript).

For deviantart, does everything else load besides the comments and the image? If the stuff below loads, then it's likely that you've got a javascript problem. If it doesn't load anything below where the image is supposed to be, that's a connectivity problem (i.e. your internet stopped working momentarily while you were loading the page, if you refresh it, it should load properly).

For ign, what happens when you right click a link for the search results? Does it give you the normal dialog box for right clicking on a regular link or something else?

It's also possible that you have some spyware hijacking your browser.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Javascript is turned on. When I right click the ign search results its as though I'm just right-clicking the background of a website.
    Deviantart loads everything normally except when I click on an image, then it only loads everything at the top of the page, like the search bar and some options. The image, comments, and everything below just doesn't appear.

I can't imagine already having some spyware, I doubt that's the issue.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mybe I should actually download and install Java?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    java has nothing to do with javascript, despite the name.

i'd actually chalk it up to a dns issue. the sites named load javascript and css files from subdomains, rather than the main .com address. because they are subdomains, they are probably on different servers, with different ip addresses. flush your dns cache on your computer, reset both your modem and your router (pull the plug, wait ten seconds or so, plug them back in).

flatlinegraphics on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just posting to say I solved it. Turns out the guy who fixed my computer installed some old version of firefox or something. All I had to do was download the newest version and now everything seems perfect.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg