As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have you tried turning it off and on? (The IT Crowd)

CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Social Entropy++
main.jpg

The IT Crowd is a British sitcom which focuses on the exploits of three lowly IT workers in the basement of the fictitious Reynholm Industries in London. It is odd that this show hasn't really gotten a mention around these forums as it is very nerd-centric and also very British, and we all know how those nerds like to quote the Monty Python at any possible opportunity.

The cast consists of:

chris-odowd.jpg
Roy, an Irish IT worker who holds contempt for being both Irish and an IT worker.

richard_ayoade_as_moss_image_diapor.jpg
Moss, the "nerdy" one. He is very skilled at science and things pertaining to science, yet like the super smart kid in your physics class possesses none of the social skills which would help him function in all other areas of life. Still, despite these downfalls Moss possesses a childlike innocence and all around pleasant, well-meaning attitude.

67023.jpg
Jen, the "hot one one who is downplayed as ugly and almost mannish". Like most ambitious business women, Jen lied her way to the top (or bottom) of Reynholm Industries when she botched her technical experience on a resume. Corporate assigned her as head of IT, a department of which she knows nothing about much to the chagrin of her new workmates. After being outed as a liar she changed her title to "Relationship Manager", due to her ability of stopping bi-weekly beatings to Roy from women who he was prior pissed off due to shoddy IT help.

There is also a man named Richard who oversees the data towers in a small room behind a locked red door. Once a successful business partner to the Manager of Reynholm Industries, he was quickly busted down to IT after listening to a Cradle of Filth album and turning goth.

---

Although the show is heavily influenced by nerd and "gamer" culture, it rarely shoves these qualities in your face. Sure their office is decorated with many pop-culture nick-nacks and video game systems, but you will never hear the characters throwing around terrible game related puns or referencing the newest "insert meme here". Most nods are done subtly or in the background (such as Roy reading the Alan Moore article in Mustard, as seen above). Instead the show focuses on the everyday exploits which the three find themselves in, such as attending a gay (very gay) musical, unknowingly getting involved with Guy Ritchie-esqe hooligans, and just trying to find normal people with whom they can hope to function with.

All the characters are played straight by their respected actors and rarely fall into the extreme stereotype which would be so easy for the show venture in to. Sometimes sweet, often awkward, and always hilarious, if you frequently visit a forum which is connected to webcomic for nerds than this is a show for you!

If you have not seen it yet then:
the-it-crowd-funeral.png

Cristoval on

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't see this show appealing to anyone who actually does this type of work

Weaver on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess it would be worth my incredibly valuable time to check this out.
    I'll have my team of overpaid analysts figure out the numbers and get back to me.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate this show

it's so fucking camp that it's painful to watch

like, I get the jokes, they're a little funny, whatever

it's just that they're delivered in such a way that is so awful. I mean, it's almost the kind of british comedy that Extras makes fun of with its fictional sitcom, and I can't imagine why people think it's good

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pfft, I'd rather just watch Eastenders.

Shorty on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh man i can't believe i'm so late to the party on life on mars

what a good show

p.s. please don't spoil the end, i'm only halfway through

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I get the impression that when this show was a concept it was far better.

But it was busted down by TV execs to a same-old same-old laughter-track sitcom fest.

Having said that it's still quite good.

Christopher Morris was the best thing about this show, and it still sort of sucks he isn't really in it anymore.

Edit - The question directly before this clip starts was "Are you stressed?!"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6TO5tA0QEaE

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It does start off a little awkward and forced, but after a few episodes, especially in the second season it really gets it's bearings and starts going in really great directions. For a show that still uses a laugh track (yeah yeah) I found myself enjoying it immensely, and I'm not a man who enjoys things.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a terrible show that does not have a single original idea which is most likely why no one talks about it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From the opinions of this thread I think most people just turn it off

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A friend forced me to watch the one where they go to the musical and Roy get locked in the handicapped bathroom.

I thought it was histerical.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is a terrible show that does not have a single original idea which is most likely why no one talks about it.

This hasn't stopped there from being a dedicated Scrubs and Heroes thread.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »

No one said it did

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    On the surface it does look like it sucks. And sometimes it does.

But it does genuinly have alot of original ideas and is actually pretty different, as far as the antiquated sitcom convention can be. I really do wish it was handled and produced differently.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just saying.

Anyway, pooh. Yes Christopher Morris was one of the best things about the show, and he was also on the Mighty Boosh apparently. That is also a good show, maybe we can talk about that.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This thing has matt berry.

MATT BERRY.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    what about life on mars

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's the freakiest show.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This show does not look very good

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just saying.

Anyway, pooh. Yes Christopher Morris was one of the best things about the show, and he was also on the Mighty Boosh apparently. That is also a good show, maybe we can talk about that.

Oh god. You mentioned the Mighty Boosh being a good show.

Tube's gonna show up now boy.

Do you know what he's gunna do boy?

Fuck you in your pooper boy.

(I actually really like it)

Blake T on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this and mighty boosh are awwwwwwwwwwwwwful

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Look, I'm not saying this show is genius or anything. What it does it does well, and if you aren't all uptight about laughing at something low-brow (although the show is more medium brow, if that means anything) then you will probably have a good time.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It has Matt Berry!
    You can't not like Matt Berry!

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I saw one episode of this

I didn't laugh one time

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tube probably hates the Mighty Boosh because Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding's songs are more popular than his and they probably took 1/10th of the time to write.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have not seen The Mighty Boosh enough to properly defend it, yet I had good times with the episodes I watched. I like having good times and regret nothing when it comes to comedy stylings.

Not even Friends. Bitches.

Edit: Hrm, an inopportune moment for a TOP.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

This hasn't stopped there from being a dedicated Scrubs and Heroes thread.

Scrubs and Heroes at least used to be good

doesn't sound like this show ever had that luxury

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wait wait wait wait.... wait .... wait wait wait............. wait.

They remade life on mars for America?

Why do they do that? It was perfectly good as it was.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wait wait wait wait.... wait .... wait wait wait............. wait.

They remade life on mars for America?

Why do they do that? It was perfectly good as it was.

it had tits

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Richmond, not Richard

Ivar on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "I can't go to jail Roy, they'll rape the flip out of me!"

First season was a bit wobbly but they found their groove in the second. I watched the DVDs recently and Graham Lineham's commentaries were pretty good.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKHyqjHqQLU&feature=channel

just noticed theres a qwantz sticker on the door behind roy

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ivar on
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is terrible (what I've seen of it anyway) which is a shame, because there's a great bunch of people working on it.

Walrus on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    It does start off a little awkward and forced, but after a few episodes, especially in the second season it really gets it's bearings and starts going in really great directions. For a show that still uses a laugh track (yeah yeah) I found myself enjoying it immensely, and I'm not a man who enjoys things.

No, it really doesn't. It stays unjustifiably forced and wooden, except for the bit with the smoking/gulag thing. And Noel Fielding. It could have been rad, but settled for acceptably-amusing-only-because-I-know-too-many-people-who-are-basically-the-main-characters.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah the only reason it's "funny" is because people have been the tech support guy and put up with the bullshit they have been dealing with.

Blake T on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    My tech support guy dyes his hair brown but not his beard and thinks its funny that his niece calls him 'Creepy Uncle Steve'.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is quite funny.

Walrus on