As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name the artist

Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insultedwhen I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a specific artist whose works have caught my interested but whose name I've forgotten.

Here what I know so far: He's one of the more famous surrealistic artists of his time, probably Italian, as far as I know, and human-animal chimaeras were one of the recurring theme in his paintings.

Help me, H/A!

Alfred J. Kwak on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Salvador Dali?

Not sure he ever did chimaera's...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nope, not him.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dali sticks out, as the most famous surrealist. I don't explicitly recall any human-animal chimeras, but he could have some. I don't think its Magritte, or Roy. Chirico perhaps...Tanguy...?

If there is any specific work that you could describe, that would help us out. You might also want to check with the art forumers..

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ernst? Miro?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for providing the link, thisisntwally. I'll go through the list when I find the time for it.

Giving more informations is kind of tricky, since I only ever saw his paintings in a movie about surrealists that was shown in my class, and that's weeks ago. Something that I remember were three (apperently quite famous) small statues from him that had vaguely human forms and were called "family" or by some other simple name. A painting from him that particulary stood out had a lush green backround with a great amount of detail put into it, with antromorphes creatures in the front that seemingly melted with their enviroment.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think not-wally may be correct with Max Ernst
    82013a_max_ernst.jpg

2_39_6.gif

ernst3.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yup, that's him, no question in that. Thank you very much, you've once again proved to be very helpful.

Alfred J. Kwak on