As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cleaning out HD with partition

Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I've decided to clean out my harddrive, and reinstall windows and whatnot. I have a partition with Ubuntu installed on it, and I want to get rid of that as well. Basically, I want to make my HD just one partition now.

When I say to clean it, I mean to get rid of everything, every file that was there, and start over. How would I go about doing this while getting rid of the other partition, and making it one again?

Steam
Xbox Live: Kunohara
Racist Joke on

• Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    when you reinstall windows, you can delete both partitions and create/format the new big, single one to install on.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yep, just put in the Windows XP cd, boot to it. Delete the existing partitions, then create a single partition which uses up all of the space on the drive (less 8mb that is reserved for stuff). It's all very straightforward, with commands listed at the bottom of the screen.

If the drive exceeds about 30Gb, you'll be required to use the NTFS file system, if it happens to be less, you can pick NTFS or FAT32. NTFS is recommended.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If I currently only have a portion of my HD formatted and partitioned, with my windows installation on that, could I partition the rest of the HD, and access it like a different drive in Windows? Would it automatically recognize that?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If the single partition doesn't use the whole hard drive space then yes - you can partition the rest, and yes - it will look like another hard drive.

You don't even need to leave windows (if it's XP) - just go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer managment -> disk managment and IIRC you just right-click on the unpartitioned space and there should be an option to make a new partition... if it isn't there then try right-clicking on the "Disk 0" rectangle to the left.

You can also change the drive letters here or mount the partition as a folder.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."