As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of dual booting and mbr woes...

DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, to sum up a long story, this is how it's right now:

My laptop has a 100GB HDD. 80 of those are for Windows XP, the rest are for Linux. Recently I installed Fedora 10 over what was in the Linux partition and it was ok, except for one thing: It let me boot into Fedora, but the other option (actually named "other") would boot me into Windows but it would tell me it wasn't booting properly (It would ask for a restoration). Previously it worked correctly with GRUB booting PCLinux and Windows.

No Windows wasn't an option, so I used another thingamabob to install a default mbr and now it boots directly into Windows... but now I have a Fedora installation I can't access. :P

Anyone know what can I do to get a correct dual-booting option here? (Or just reinstalling Fedora will do now?).

Thanks in advance. :)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
Drovek on

• Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    use a live cd (knoppix, or ubuntu have good ones) to get into a linux distro. From there you can mount your linux partitions:

mkdir newroot
    mount /dev/sda2 newroot // or hwatever the correct /dev/... is
    chroot newroot

this essentially gets you into your linux machine, with your harddrives filesystem mounted. From there you can go in mess with your grub settings and reinstall grub to the mbr. I forget the command, but its googleable or in the man pages.

Come to think of it, you may not have to even do the chroot stuff, but for some reason I thought I did when I had the same problems. Possibly if versions of grub off the live cd are different than the one runnin on the HD.

edit before posting:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/reinstall-ubuntu-grub-bootloader-after-windows-wipes-it-out/

Looks like you dont have to do the chroot stuff, but its still a good thing to know how to do, just in case

lizard eats flies on