As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unbuntu On an EEE PC Via USB

cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having some problems getting the netbook version of unbuntu to install on my dad's EEE PC. I created a bootable USB drive like they suggest on the site, but for some reason the EEE isn't recognizing it as bootable. When I look at the files on the drive in the built in linux they're all there. My Window 7 PC and my parents Windows XP PC both read it as bootable. Anyone got any suggestions? The thumb drive is a Patriot XT 4GB.

cSpooge on

• Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did you tell it to boot off the usb drive? I.e. did you set usb to a higher boot priority in the bios and/or select the device to boot off of right after turning it on?

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    theclam wrote: »
    Did you tell it to boot off the usb drive? I.e. did you set usb to a higher boot priority in the bios and/or select the device to boot off of right after turning it on?

yes I tried using the boot select menu for and as well as just setting the USB drive as the only bootable drive.

cSpooge on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did you use UNetbootin? Because you should.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Did you use UNetbootin? Because you should.

tried it with and without UNetbootin and didn't work either time on the EEE.

cSpooge on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Reformat the drive? Can you snag another thumb drive to try?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Reformat the drive? Can you snag another thumb drive to try?

tried formatting the drive but no dice... The only other drives I have are 1GB which aren't big enough :(

cSpooge on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would make a cross post over in the Linux thread in the Tech forum, maybe it's an issue with the original OS.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    did you format it as NTFS on you windows machine?

if you did, it would probably help to format it to a FAT, probably FAT32 to be specific.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1GB is big enough. Look up Easy Peasy (formerly Ubuntu Eee).

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294