As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fixing an old NES

commathecommathe Registered User regular
First of all, I picked up a (supposedly) working NES toploader from ebay. I plugged it in, tried it out with a bunch of different games, it doesn't work. I get a light blue, green, or white screen. The ac port you plug into is loose and wobbly. Sometimes it wont power on at all, but if you unplug it and plug it in again it turns on. Wiggling the plug while its on doesnt turn it off. Curious indeed. The adapter is for an NES-1, would this be causing a problem? I assumed they used the same adapter, as this is the one I was given.

My second problem, is I have a few old style NES systems. I picked up a bunch of new 72 pin connectors. I've only replaced one in one of the systems so far. After putting in the new connector and putting in some of the screws, I hooked it up to test it. It took a couple tries of unplugging the game and plugging it in again, but finally pac-man loaded up all nice and pretty. Except I couldn't play it. Hitting buttons on the controller did nothing. I thought it might be because it was still halfway taken apart, so I put it all back together, and now the best Ive managed is a garbled screen scrolling up and down. It sometimes gives solid colors, but mostly it just blinks on and off. Before I give up on it, I might try disabling the region lockout. I've heard that can help.

Anyway, I have two more control decks to try. Anyone have any thoughts on these two?

commathe on