Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Notebook?!

MeisterMeister Registered User regular
I'm looking to get a new notebook, but I don't really have much experience in buying notebooks at all. So I turn to you!

I'm going to be using my notebook for programming, 3d rendering, and games. The price range I'm looking at is under $2,000. I can go above if a notebook under $2,000 won't last me that long, I guess. Also, I don't know if I should wait until Windows 7 comes out or not. That seems sort of far away.

Also, I should mention that I already have a mac, and I want windows notebook.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
Meister on

Posts

  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a new notebook, but I don't really have much experience in buying notebooks at all. So I turn to you!

    I'm going to be using my notebook for programming, 3d rendering, and games. The price range I'm looking at is under $2,000. I can go above if a notebook under $2,000 won't last me that long, I guess. Also, I don't know if I should wait until Windows 7 comes out or not. That seems sort of far away.

    Also, I should mention that I already have a mac, and I want windows notebook.

    Hmm.

    To be fair, I have to ask, if you have a Mac, why would you also need a Windows notebook?

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a new notebook, but I don't really have much experience in buying notebooks at all. So I turn to you!

    I'm going to be using my notebook for programming, 3d rendering, and games. The price range I'm looking at is under $2,000. I can go above if a notebook under $2,000 won't last me that long, I guess. Also, I don't know if I should wait until Windows 7 comes out or not. That seems sort of far away.

    Also, I should mention that I already have a mac, and I want windows notebook.

    Hmm.

    To be fair, I have to ask, if you have a Mac, why would you also need a Windows notebook?

    My current Mac laptop is way too old. It can't handle the OpenGL stuff I have to do, and even stuff like opening Firefox, Word, or Excel takes forever. I'm going to have to do stuff with DirectX in the future, which is why I'm getting a Windows notebook.

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    Meister wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a new notebook, but I don't really have much experience in buying notebooks at all. So I turn to you!

    I'm going to be using my notebook for programming, 3d rendering, and games. The price range I'm looking at is under $2,000. I can go above if a notebook under $2,000 won't last me that long, I guess. Also, I don't know if I should wait until Windows 7 comes out or not. That seems sort of far away.

    Also, I should mention that I already have a mac, and I want windows notebook.

    Hmm.

    To be fair, I have to ask, if you have a Mac, why would you also need a Windows notebook?

    My current Mac laptop is way too old. It can't handle the OpenGL stuff I have to do, and even stuff like opening Firefox, Word, or Excel takes forever. I'm going to have to do stuff with DirectX in the future, which is why I'm getting a Windows notebook.

    Why not go with a Macbook Pro then? The current models have excellent graphics cards, and you'll be able to dual boot into XP, Vista, and 7 once it drops.

    I currently Dual boot with XP for the few games I play, as my iMac has a 512MB 8800 in it, and I have parallels installed as well so I can run XP alongside OS X, in addition to running Windows 7 alongside OS X.

    Ditch your old desktop, pick up a nice display, and make the mac notebook your new desktop as well.

    To get the model with the 512MB card you're looking at $2500 from Apple themselves. Being a student will get you that discount, otherwise Amazon can hook you up for $2388, obviously with no tax or shipping.

    $2500 gets you the 512MB 9600GT, along with 4GB of RAM and a 2.53Ghz processor. Yes you'll get better deals in the windows world, but IMHO I like the flexibility of being able to use both OS X and Windows on one device.

    It may be a bit above your budget but it'll last you and be worth every penny.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    Meister wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a new notebook, but I don't really have much experience in buying notebooks at all. So I turn to you!

    I'm going to be using my notebook for programming, 3d rendering, and games. The price range I'm looking at is under $2,000. I can go above if a notebook under $2,000 won't last me that long, I guess. Also, I don't know if I should wait until Windows 7 comes out or not. That seems sort of far away.

    Also, I should mention that I already have a mac, and I want windows notebook.

    Hmm.

    To be fair, I have to ask, if you have a Mac, why would you also need a Windows notebook?

    My current Mac laptop is way too old. It can't handle the OpenGL stuff I have to do, and even stuff like opening Firefox, Word, or Excel takes forever. I'm going to have to do stuff with DirectX in the future, which is why I'm getting a Windows notebook.

    Why not go with a Macbook Pro then? The current models have excellent graphics cards, and you'll be able to dual boot into XP, Vista, and 7 once it drops.

    I currently Dual boot with XP for the few games I play, as my iMac has a 512MB 8800 in it, and I have parallels installed as well so I can run XP alongside OS X, in addition to running Windows 7 alongside OS X.

    Ditch your old desktop, pick up a nice display, and make the mac notebook your new desktop as well.

    To get the model with the 512MB card you're looking at $2500 from Apple themselves. Being a student will get you that discount, otherwise Amazon can hook you up for $2388, obviously with no tax or shipping.

    $2500 gets you the 512MB 9600GT, along with 4GB of RAM and a 2.53Ghz processor. Yes you'll get better deals in the windows world, but IMHO I like the flexibility of being able to use both OS X and Windows on one device.

    It may be a bit above your budget but it'll last you and be worth every penny.

    I went from a PC to a Mac, which I've been using for the last year and a half. Although I'd say I probably like the Mac OS more, in my opinion it doesn't justify the increased cost in my case. All the time I run into problems from using a Mac, because they're just not as widely supported as windows. For example, an engineering class I took didn't have support mac for the graphing software they used, so I was on my own. The classes for my school that are broadcasted online don't have good support for mac. My friends using PC can move to any point in the video and change the video speed, but even using Flip4Mac I couldn't get the same results. Granted, maybe there's some way to get my computer to do it, but I'd have to go find it myself, whereas for the PC they supported it from the beginning. I have to keep switching between Firefox and Safari, because although I prefer Firefox because I find it easier to use, and it has useful extensions like allowing me to mouse over a Japanese word to have its definition pop up, Firefox on the mac doesn't have built-in pdf support. I was able to find an obscure add-on that provides this functionality, but the zoom is messed up for it. Cool applications like Google Chrome still aren't supported on Mac. Transferring Japanese songs from my friends PC to my Mac screwed up all the tags. Maybe there's some way to solve all these problems, but for most of them a moderate amount of searching wouldn't find the solution.

    Because of these reasons, DirectX, and other things, I'd probably end up just booting in Windows all the time. In that case, I'd just rather get a cheaper Windows notebook. Also, technically I could get a non-Apple notebook to run Mac OS if I really wanted to. In a perfect world where all operating systems were equally supported I'd pick Mac. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world, so I'm pretty set on getting a Windows computer.

    Sorry, I didn't want to start an OS fight or anything, so let's just leave it at I'm going to get a windows notebook.

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The best Windows notebook with horsepower that I have seen of late is the Dell Studio XPS 13 or 16 (the number being the screen size)

    It only came out in the last month and comes with 4gig of Ram, a nice ATI card and 320gig HDD for about £799 so whatever that is in Dollars these days. Also...it is easily as pretty if not more so than an Apple if you care...

    Venkman90 on
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm, I'm a bit wary of the XPS's graphics card. How does it compare to the GeForce 9800M GTX? I heard something about Vista not having drivers for OpenGL. Does ATI have OpenGL drivers?

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    Meister wrote: »
    Meister wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a new notebook, but I don't really have much experience in buying notebooks at all. So I turn to you!

    I'm going to be using my notebook for programming, 3d rendering, and games. The price range I'm looking at is under $2,000. I can go above if a notebook under $2,000 won't last me that long, I guess. Also, I don't know if I should wait until Windows 7 comes out or not. That seems sort of far away.

    Also, I should mention that I already have a mac, and I want windows notebook.

    Hmm.

    To be fair, I have to ask, if you have a Mac, why would you also need a Windows notebook?

    My current Mac laptop is way too old. It can't handle the OpenGL stuff I have to do, and even stuff like opening Firefox, Word, or Excel takes forever. I'm going to have to do stuff with DirectX in the future, which is why I'm getting a Windows notebook.

    Why not go with a Macbook Pro then? The current models have excellent graphics cards, and you'll be able to dual boot into XP, Vista, and 7 once it drops.

    I currently Dual boot with XP for the few games I play, as my iMac has a 512MB 8800 in it, and I have parallels installed as well so I can run XP alongside OS X, in addition to running Windows 7 alongside OS X.

    Ditch your old desktop, pick up a nice display, and make the mac notebook your new desktop as well.

    To get the model with the 512MB card you're looking at $2500 from Apple themselves. Being a student will get you that discount, otherwise Amazon can hook you up for $2388, obviously with no tax or shipping.

    $2500 gets you the 512MB 9600GT, along with 4GB of RAM and a 2.53Ghz processor. Yes you'll get better deals in the windows world, but IMHO I like the flexibility of being able to use both OS X and Windows on one device.

    It may be a bit above your budget but it'll last you and be worth every penny.

    I went from a PC to a Mac, which I've been using for the last year and a half. Although I'd say I probably like the Mac OS more, in my opinion it doesn't justify the increased cost in my case. All the time I run into problems from using a Mac, because they're just not as widely supported as windows. For example, an engineering class I took didn't have support mac for the graphing software they used, so I was on my own. The classes for my school that are broadcasted online don't have good support for mac. My friends using PC can move to any point in the video and change the video speed, but even using Flip4Mac I couldn't get the same results. Granted, maybe there's some way to get my computer to do it, but I'd have to go find it myself, whereas for the PC they supported it from the beginning. I have to keep switching between Firefox and Safari, because although I prefer Firefox because I find it easier to use, and it has useful extensions like allowing me to mouse over a Japanese word to have its definition pop up, Firefox on the mac doesn't have built-in pdf support. I was able to find an obscure add-on that provides this functionality, but the zoom is messed up for it. Cool applications like Google Chrome still aren't supported on Mac. Transferring Japanese songs from my friends PC to my Mac screwed up all the tags. Maybe there's some way to solve all these problems, but for most of them a moderate amount of searching wouldn't find the solution.

    Because of these reasons, DirectX, and other things, I'd probably end up just booting in Windows all the time. In that case, I'd just rather get a cheaper Windows notebook. Also, technically I could get a non-Apple notebook to run Mac OS if I really wanted to. In a perfect world where all operating systems were equally supported I'd pick Mac. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world, so I'm pretty set on getting a Windows computer.

    Sorry, I didn't want to start an OS fight or anything, so let's just leave it at I'm going to get a windows notebook.

    The argument ends here but do realize that your entire paragraph is nullified by the fact that you can run windows on the macbook pro.

    Carry on.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User
    edited January 2009
    That doesn't nullify his argument, he already said he was aware of that fact. Then he went on to point out that if someone was going to do that (exclusively), why would they pay more for Mac hardware? That makes perfect sense to me, I'm not sure why you'd think a Mac was still a valid choice?

    Am I missing something?

    Chalkbot on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User
    edited January 2009
    The argument ends here but do realize that your entire paragraph is nullified by the fact that you can run windows on the macbook pro.

    Carry on.

    Your entire nullification argument is double nullified by his argument about cost. Unless your actual argument is that he's secretly rich.

    Desert_Eagle25 on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A Quadro or FireGL graphics adapter is optimized for 3D rendering and as such tend to be picked for workstation class notebooks (e.g. W series Thinkpads and w series HP's) and they take a significant penalty in gaming performance to their consumer line cousins. For example, I had a Lenovo T61p with a Quadro 570 and a similary priced consumer model might have an 8600GT, and eventhough they are cousin video cards on games you could turn up the detail settings a few notches on the GT.

    FWIW, HP and Lenovo (and possibly others) have ISV certified notebooks for workstation applications (e.g. maya, 3ds max, autocad, etc). However, I don't know of any independent testing that determines how much "better" these machines perform at these applications than a machine running the consumer-oriented gaming/multimedia counterpart card.

    If you have any interest at all in going the hackintosh route, be careful to select a platform that maximizes compatibility. It's a real bitch when you find out your video card is not supported and is soldered onto the motherboard. And having gone this route on notebooks I think your time/money would be better served buying a mac and installing XP/Vista in a boot camp partition if you want a dual-booting WinMac notebook.

    Djeet on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If cost is an issue, you might want to consider an HP Pavillion. They're pretty much found in any cost range (high or low), can have a good bit of customized hardware, and have a good reliability record. They're also available quite small and compact. I have a 'Special Edition' (so it claims) dv2600, and I'm very pleased with it.

    If you're going to consider a Dell, I'd seriously recommend you at least look at Pavillion's. There's some truth to all the horror stories you hear about Dell laptops, and I'm not just saying that because mine was part of the class-action lawsuit against them for their Inspiron 5150 models. The one hand up Dell may have might be there gaming laptops, but I'd be wary of anything that advertises itself as a "gaming laptop".

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How is the Sager NP5797 in terms of cost/value? Is it worth the high price tag, or will I be paying a lot for something that won't compare to a desktop anyways? Buying a desktop isn't really an option for me, because I take my laptop around a lot in college (from my dorm room to the lab to go work with a team, etc.) and I also would bring my laptop when I go home.

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a big thread about gaming laptops that probably has some models you'd like, I'll try and find it.

    Edit: RARRR!

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74584&page=7

    Machines from in there:

    Sager NP8660

    Toshiba F-55

    MSI Force 3551

    Alienware m15x

    this isn't a laptop but it's still awesome.

    Those machines are 15" since, in the above thread, form factor was a point of contention. If you're looking for something larger or smaller, let us know and I'm sure we'll hunt something up.

    Ego on
    Erik
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    There's a big thread about gaming laptops that probably has some models you'd like, I'll try and find it.

    Edit: RARRR!

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74584&page=7

    Machines from in there:

    Sager NP8660

    Toshiba F-55

    MSI Force 3551

    Alienware m15x

    Those machines are 15" since, in the above thread, form factor was a point of contention. If you're looking for something larger or smaller, let us know and I'm sure we'll hunt something up.

    I'd recommend against Alienware. They've gone way downhill since Dell bought them. My next laptop is going to be a Lenovo. They market them for buisnesses, but they can also do gaming and are a good development machine. I program games as well, so please post and/or yet PM me your opinions on whatever notebook you end up buying. I'm always looking for more opinions on machines, but I'll probably wait unitl Windows 7 ships to buy it.

    Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • OchoOcho Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whatever brand you buy, make sure you add on some kind of accident protection. Dell calls it Complete Care, HP calls it Total Care, and Lenovo calls it either Thinkpad or Lenovo 3000.


    It generally is no more than $150 for the life of your warranty and is absolutely invaluable for laptops. If you don't believe me, do a google search on any manufacturer for people complaining about service being denied due to "water damage". Most of the big companies use the same company for their mail in service but not all of them offer accident protection. Totally worth the money for that peace of mind- especially on a high end system.

    Ocho on
    Steam ID : Ocho
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ocho wrote: »
    Whatever brand you buy, make sure you add on some kind of accident protection. Dell calls it Complete Care, HP calls it Total Care, and Lenovo calls it either Thinkpad or Lenovo 3000.


    It generally is no more than $150 for the life of your warranty and is absolutely invaluable for laptops. If you don't believe me, do a google search on any manufacturer for people complaining about service being denied due to "water damage". Most of the big companies use the same company for their mail in service but not all of them offer accident protection. Totally worth the money for that peace of mind- especially on a high end system.

    This.

    Especially if it covers complete accident coverage so you could drop it off the Empire State Building, collect the pieces at the bottom, and get a replacement.*



    *hyperbole, do not actually attempt

    ArcSyn on
    OSvv7zs.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • NatheoNatheo Registered User
    edited January 2009
    The new studio xps 16's are really, really nice.

    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-studio-xps-16?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop_studio_xps16_cto3~~

    for example.

    Don't forget to shop around for discounts, student or otherwise.

    Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you guys had lots of experience with xoticpc? Their price for a NP8660 looks really good.

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Looks like that Xoticpc is a Sager. Once you configure it the same way as Sager (add O.S. and put the RAM into 1 DIMM) you're not saving anything unless you pay cash. The labor warranty is through XoticPC, though they do just straight up resell Sager warranted machines. If that's the machine you want I'd think about just buying direct from Sager unless you really want it to come without an operating system. If turnaround time to repair is important then I'd try to cut out any intermediaries.

    I can't attest to Sager warranties, but the turnaround on my Lenovo warranty (depot-based) was good. They didn't make me do any over-the-phone troubleshooting and turnaround from calling in problem to receiving the repaired system (system board replacement) was under 72 hours.

    Djeet on
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i would whole heartedly recommend against any HP laptop. I had one and my wife had one. Mine started developing motherboard issues and now doesn't boot up consistently. My wife just had heres sent back in for the second time to fix a motherboard issue. Luckily the first time fell in her warrenty period, this time i had to escalate things to get them to pay for it despite tem releasing a limited warranty on the issue. Their support sucks. takes forever to get anything done.

    So yea don't get an HP. I have a new macbook and I love it other than the compatabilty issues but those are minor.

    i was looking into a lenova t400 which i heard were solid windows machines

    mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HP workstation laptops are, however, very good machines. Their consumer line is more or less on par with other consumer notebooks.

    Can't attest to their support either way.

    Ego on
    Erik
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mts wrote: »
    i would whole heartedly recommend against any HP laptop. I had one and my wife had one. Mine started developing motherboard issues and now doesn't boot up consistently. My wife just had heres sent back in for the second time to fix a motherboard issue. Luckily the first time fell in her warrenty period, this time i had to escalate things to get them to pay for it despite tem releasing a limited warranty on the issue. Their support sucks. takes forever to get anything done.

    You're actually one of the first people I've heard really complain about HP's service--then again, they're just another mass manufacturer, so its bound to happen.

    I personally have had no problems with their support--it's not exceptional, but it's not bad by any means. And their support forums are actually useful, unlike Dell's (though that wasn't always the case--once, Dell's were useful too....).

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Djeet wrote: »
    Looks like that Xoticpc is a Sager. Once you configure it the same way as Sager (add O.S. and put the RAM into 1 DIMM) you're not saving anything unless you pay cash. The labor warranty is through XoticPC, though they do just straight up resell Sager warranted machines. If that's the machine you want I'd think about just buying direct from Sager unless you really want it to come without an operating system. If turnaround time to repair is important then I'd try to cut out any intermediaries.

    I can't attest to Sager warranties, but the turnaround on my Lenovo warranty (depot-based) was good. They didn't make me do any over-the-phone troubleshooting and turnaround from calling in problem to receiving the repaired system (system board replacement) was under 72 hours.

    Well, mostly I just wanted to opt out of the OS. It doesn't seem that complicated to install an OS. Granted, I've never done it before, but I don't think I want to pay 100+ dollars to be lazy.

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whatever you get, install Windows 7 on it. :D If you can get it cheaper without an OS, go for it. Especially if you already have a XP or Vista CD lying around from an old computer, or if you want to just run the Win7 Beta/RC until it's released.

    ArcSyn on
    OSvv7zs.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Will I run into any problems because I have another computer that I installed Windows on using the same disc?

    Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you install using the same license key, the computer will fail to authenticate and prompt you to call microsoft (or occasionally let you authenticate online.) Microsoft will ask you how many machines you're running the system on, if you say more than one, they won't give you an authentication key. If you say one, they'll give you a key, and your installations will be able to run side by side. I'm not advising you to do this, I'm just telling you what actually happens.

    Of course, you'll be in violation of the EULA, for whatever that matters to you. And you'll have to lie.

    I'd suggest the Windows 7 beta as a possible alternative, but compatibility is by no means guaranteed and I personally couldn't get it to work with my 9600m. I'm sure that will improve over time, however.

    Ego on
    Erik
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not too hard to install an OS provided drivers are available for the hardware you're running (this is an issue with xp64 for some hardware and some platforms shipping with Vista that do not ship with XP). Trying to read between the lines in your posts I take it you don't have a Vista license? If so buying Vista at time of purchase of your machine will garner a significant discount. $100 to have a factory image of a Windows-based 64 bit system seems like a good deal to me, though personally I'd spring extra for Business/Ultimate for my needs. You might look to see if you could score Vista on the cheap through your school.

    If you plan to dork around with your system and install non-XP/Vista operating systems, it's very nice to have a restore partition or restore CD's/DVD's that will quickly get you a system that more or less "just works."

    The Win7 beta might work for you too, though you might consider what you'll do when it expires.

    Just thought I'd air some of the pros of opting to order a machine shipped with an OS.

    Djeet on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    I went from a PC to a Mac, which I've been using for the last year and a half. Although I'd say I probably like the Mac OS more,in my opinion it doesn't justify the increased cost in my case. All the time I run into problems from using a Mac, because they're just not as widely supported as windows. For example, an engineering class I took didn't have support mac for the graphing software they used, so I was on my own. The classes for my school that are broadcasted online don't have good support for mac. My friends using PC can move to any point in the video and change the video speed, but even using Flip4Mac I couldn't get the same results. Granted, maybe there's some way to get my computer to do it, but I'd have to go find it myself, whereas for the PC they supported it from the beginning. I have to keep switching between Firefox and Safari, because although I prefer Firefox because I find it easier to use, and it has useful extensions like allowing me to mouse over a Japanese word to have its definition pop up, Firefox on the mac doesn't have built-in pdf support. I was able to find an obscure add-on that provides this functionality, but the zoom is messed up for it. Cool applications like Google Chrome still aren't supported on Mac. Transferring Japanese songs from my friends PC to my Mac screwed up all the tags. Maybe there's some way to solve all these problems, but for most of them a moderate amount of searching wouldn't find the solution.

    Because of these reasons, DirectX, and other things, I'd probably end up just booting in Windows all the time. In that case, I'd just rather get a cheaper Windows notebook. Also, technically I could get a non-Apple notebook to run Mac OS if I really wanted to. In a perfect world where all operating systems were equally supported I'd pick Mac. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world, so I'm pretty set on getting a Windows computer.

    Sorry, I didn't want to start an OS fight or anything, so let's just leave it at I'm going to get a windows notebook.

    The argument ends here but do realize that your entire paragraph is nullified by the fact that you can run windows on the macbook pro.

    Carry on.

    You didn't read his post at all, did you?

    Rigor Mortis on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rendering and games don't really mix. A quadro / fireGl will run circles around a geforce / radeon in rendering, but can't keep up for gaming and vv. Whichever way you go, get the extended full service warranty, owner's insurance (theft, etc...), and (if you can afford it) go with a business or workstation laptop. They are generally higher quality, better spec'd, offer features like no crapware, and, depending on the company, have support lines that are actually in the same country. Win 7 is nice, but still beta, and I'd concentrate more on using whatever os is going to properly support the software you need to do your work.

    stigweard on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sony's VIAO laptops are within about a hundred bucks of dell right now, if you like the look of them better. This setup would probably fit your needs at $1350 including 2 year accident protection: Sony Link

    Smurph on
Sign In or Register to comment.