As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Afro Samurai the game based on the anime based on the manga.

ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up.MichiganRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Man, you really are a cold-blooded motherfucker.

http://www.bloodisbeautiful.com/index2.html

So this week Afro Samurai comes out for the PS3 and 360, And apparently its good... like real good. The Play review gushes over everything from the controls and story to the art and voice acting. The reviewer saying he hasnt had a gaming experience like this since Symphony of the Night.

This game should have it all. Samuel L Jackson, Kelly Hu, a soundtrack inspired by the RZA, buckets upon buckets of blood, and Body part poker.

Anyone else thinking of picking this up?

Edit: Jesus i fucking forgot to mention it has Ron Pearlman too.

Picture time!
afro-samurai-01.jpg
afro-samurai-04.jpg
940049_20080415_screen002.jpg
940049_20080415_screen020.jpg

Videa's!!! These are rated NSFW due to strong language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TLjmKJsbHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoto4_7JVnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmHmRNXrv0

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
Zephos on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Motherfuckin' ninjas :x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll wait for other reviews. Play doesn't fill me with hope exactly.

Also, never seen the show. And I wasn't aware it was a manga first?

EDIT: I mean, come on. As good as Symphony of the Night? Some random licensed game? Really?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Snakes on a Plane, The Boondocks, now this.

Samuel Jackson is a fun guy! :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The show was pretty darn good yeah. Samuel L. Jackson really did a bang up job, and apparently from the video's i've seen does a fantastic job in the game too.

So its basically a hack and slash. With no interface to speak of. The sword play looks fairly engaging and the dismemberment and gore is completely over the top in the greatest of ways.

Zephos on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    naturally the IGN review gives it a much more... shall we say pessimistic score.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/948/948213p2.html

i think i'm still going to pick it up since i think i'll enjoy it quite a bit.

Zephos on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn, IGN gave it below a 7. I didn't know their scale went that low.

On the other hand, I knew that Play reviewer had to be full of shit. If he hadn't "had a gaming experience like this since Symphony of the Night" then Symphony of the Night was probably the last game he played.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah the play review he reallly deepthroats the developer..... but i was hoping that itd score a little better than 6.6 :/e

Zephos on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apparently its a first in that you can cut the enemy to pieces at any angle at any time. It's not pre-determined death slice cuts.

At least I think that's what EDGE said.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah the enemies can be sliced in any which way.

The differences in these reviews is freaking me out. The Play review mentions nothing about the camera. They do mention difficult boss fights though. (i'm holding out some sort of hope that the ps3 version is the weaker version since it looks like the Play review is based on the 360 and IGN obviously did it on the PS3 not that the differences would be that much :/)

I have a feeling this may just be a polarizing game one of those love it or hate it. Well see i guess.

Gorsh though the art style is awesome.

Zephos on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have this in my queue, but since I have Chrono Trigger I'm sure I won't get to it for a little bit. Game looks awesome though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    360 and PS3?

I thought this was a Wii game!

Awesome,will check it out then.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Some more pretty pictures spoilered for HUGE.

I'm trying to find more of the dynamic cutting. I saw one somewhere a guy was cut right down the middle top to bottom and falling apart at his 2 halves.
    afro-samurai-20080923020318404.jpg
    afro-samurai-20081209010218784.jpg
    afro1.jpg

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Zephos on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait what. I didn't even know this was coming out. Buying it tomorrow.

desc on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glad I watched that trailer, Zephos. The Youtube links made the game look terrible.

TL DR on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Play is always full of shit. Always. Their reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    the game trailers videos are much better, for the OP i dunno what i was thinkin

Zephos on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

You're not missing out.

Trust me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Play is always full of shit. Always. Their reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I don't know if I've ever seen a bad review from them.

Of course I don't really read every issue, but the ones I have it seems they really like every game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this looks cool, but not $60 cool. definitely more of a random used pickup a year from now for $20 kind of thing. sharp graphics though. the part in that GT preview trailer where he slices the top of a guys head off was neat too.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

You're not missing out.

Trust me.

Not missing out on the manga or the show? I can't speak for the manga, but the show kicked ass. Weird, brutal, and some serious style. The soundtrack was great, too. Unless you like the ever-growing mountain of anime shows that either take themselves way too seriously or are childish crap, Afro Samurai is some great entertainment.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jamesways wrote: »

I don't know if I've ever seen a bad review from them.

Of course I don't really read every issue, but the ones I have it seems they really like every game.

They gave Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 an 8.5.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think this is worth my expanding my gamefly 1 more game this month...

Though, it was already looking repetitive in that review, didn't really see 'special' moves either.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You're not missing out.

Trust me.

Not missing out on the manga or the show? I can't speak for the manga, but the show kicked ass. Weird, brutal, and some serious style. The soundtrack was great, too. Unless you like the ever-growing mountain of anime shows that either take themselves way too seriously or are childish crap, Afro Samurai is some great entertainment.

Show.

Don't know anything about the manga. The rest? It's just as generic as the junk we already get.

You're right about the soundtrack, and I will praise it's animation and art style. As far as actual setting/plot/substance? Practically nil to gratuitous.

Game looks good though, and if it's fun, hey. Grab it. I can play Afro Samurai. Watching it is something else though.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You're not missing out.

Trust me.

Show.

Don't know anything about the manga. The rest? It's just as generic as the junk we already get.

You're right about the soundtrack, and I will praise it's animation and art style. As far as actual setting/plot/substance? Practically nil to gratuitous.

I have to respectfully disagree. I found the show to be utterly and wholly unlike anything else on TV, particularly the average anime. Afro Samurai is well aware of how over-the-top it is and absolutely revels in it instead of trying to justify itself. Also, sci-fi tech versus being simply awesome? How does that ever get not fun? Great VA work by Ron Pearlman, too. Hell, pretty much all the VA work is great.

Can't say that game looks too hot, though. It just seems lacking to me. Maybe a rental.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ill probably gamefly this if just because the graphics look sexy and whenever reviewers say a game has a bad camera and stupid hack n slashing I tend to like those games. Now I just need to send my 360 in and wait 2-3 weeks. *shakes fist*

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You're not missing out.

Trust me.

Show.

I have to respectfully disagree. I found the show to be utterly and wholly unlike anything else on TV, particularly the average anime. Afro Samurai is well aware of how over-the-top it is and absolutely revels in it instead of trying to justify itself. Also, sci-fi tech versus being simply awesome? How does that ever get not fun? Great VA work by Ron Pearlman, too. Hell, pretty much all the VA work is great.

Can't say that game looks too hot, though. It just seems lacking to me. Maybe a rental.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge anime fan, but just everything about Afro Samurai just came off as typical to me.

The last anime I watched and really enjoyed was Samurai Champloo. I got to see a dubbed version of it before the US release, and the US release really ruined the two characters.

Sheep on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the anime was pretty terrible, i agree. i wanted to like it so much, cause well, it's samuel l jackson and it's a fucking afro samurai. but it turned out to be just cliche after cliche after cliche. the only cool character was kuma, just cause he looked so goddam silly.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Afro Samurai is well aware of how over-the-top it is and absolutely revels in it instead of trying to justify itself. Also, sci-fi tech versus being simply awesome?
    Anime that is aware of how crazy they are isn't that uncommon. Technology vs. pure determination is really cliche by now. John Henry has been a part of folklore forever.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The anime was great. Where else can you see rocket launcher robot clones attack a samurai with a giant afro?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am no longer amused by the stuff where you add a bunch of random supposedly cool shit together in order to make "wacky" stuff. It was funny the first few hundred times, but now it is just old .

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I like how they throw a random boob in there from time to time.

Gotta get that demographic!

Sheep on
  • Options
    GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When does this come out, again? This actually looks like fun...not sure if its "60 bucks" fun, but fun nonetheless. Maybe there'll be a demo?

And while I'm at it, anyone know whats up with the "body part poker" thing?

Graycoin on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The show was shallow, overstylised junk with a couple of good ideas hiding somewhere in it. It adapts obviously to video games, but that's not a good thing.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    *Shrug* I liked the show, and i'll let ya'll know how the game plays.

Zephos on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am no longer amused by the stuff where you add a bunch of random supposedly cool shit together in order to make "wacky" stuff. It was funny the first few hundred times, but now it is just old .

It wasn't funny the first time, it was badass.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    An hour in i can say i belive this game to be quite a bit of fun. The camera's not perfect, but its more than manageable to make it function, the graphic style is quite awesome as well as the SLICE anywhere is amazing. Soundtrack is pretty damn good too.

I'm currently trying my hardest to slice both fingers and toes off at the same time for an achievment.

Zephos on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think I'd love this show.

the game looks fun but I don't know how much it'd be worth to me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I refuse to trust IGN ever since their God Hand review. Staying optimistic for this.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    I refuse to trust IGN ever since their every goddamn thing review. Staying optimistic for this.

Fixed.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling