Options

The Magic Toaster and Forbe Variety [CHAT]

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Yeah, you know what really makes me envious of guitarists? How much does a set of guitar strings cost? What, something like $8-$10, right? Maybe $12 if you're feeling like spoiling yourself? The last set of cello strings I bought cost me about $200. And there are 33% fewer strings.

Also, the bow I was borrowing from my university my senior year was worth $3000

EDIT: And I remember my cello teacher in high school was looking for a new cello at one point; his price range was around $200,000

how much do those carbon fiber ones cost?

Before or after you sacrifice a goat to the cello gods? (I kid, I kid )

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    EDIT: And I remember my cello teacher in high school was looking for a new cello at one point; his price range was around $200,000

Seriously, I have to say, that is fucking rediculous. Now if the cello had built in robes, an ensuite, a gas cooktop and a double driveway, I'd consider it.

What the fuck is a high school teacher doing with two hundred grand?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    his side job is secretary of the treasury obviously

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, they're supposed to be very cheap for the kind of sound they deliver.

The website says $5,839.

and they have Yo-yo Ma sitting with one, so you know it has to be good.

edit: actually, he called it "fantastic" himself, so it probably is.

Tam on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Let me tell you, in circumstances that aren't mine ("You have a cello for €200? I'll take it!"), buying a cello is a pretty big deal; it's recommended you take your cello teacher, or another cellist at least at your skill level, with you, so that you can get another opinion (and because cellos will sound different to the player than they will to the audience); and dealers will often let the potential customer take the cello with them for a week or so to really get a feel for it. I mean, don't get me wrong, when you start getting into the exorbitant prices, it's more about the reputation of the cello than its quality, and you will have really expensive cellos that sound crappy (otherwise you wouldn't need to bring a friend), but on the whole, a $20,000 cello will sound a lot better than a $5,000 one, and will produce a good sound a lot more easily.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    While that's a good point... I keep thinking that my 400 dollar guitars sound just as good as 3000 dollar ones... all those extra features don't add anything to the sound imo.

Its a whole different world, when looking at cellos I suppose.

Agreed, my main acoustic was $1300 and to be honest from $400 to $4000 the increase in quality of sound is negligable. The improvements in sound are there, but for the jump in price, it's not worth it.

As far as electrics go though, pickups and amps are where it's at.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The website says $5,839.

Or they payed him a lot of money to make you think they have to be good.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited February 2009

Seriously, I have to say, that is fucking rediculous. Now if the cello had built in robes, an ensuite, a gas cooktop and a double driveway, I'd consider it.

What the fuck is a high school teacher doing with two hundred grand?

No, no, my cello teacher in high school; he didn't teach at the high school. Not that he was super rich either way, though he played with a few symphonies, and at high enough levels, you make a fair bit of money doing that. I think a lot of it, though, was simply him saving (and possible getting the cello on loan, though I'm not sure--this was a long time ago)

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    what would happen if the right side of your brain was bigger then your left since usually the left is bigger then the right?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    While that's a good point... I keep thinking that my 400 dollar guitars sound just as good as 3000 dollar ones... all those extra features don't add anything to the sound imo.

Its a whole different world, when looking at cellos I suppose.

Agreed, my main acoustic was $1300 and to be honest from $400 to $4000 the increase in quality of sound is negligable. The improvements in sound are there, but for the jump in price, it's not worth it.

As far as electrics go though, pickups and amps are where it's at.

I'll defiantely agree about amps, I've got a Crate amp (my dad's friend works that the Crate factory...) and for a few years I loved the thing but I plugged into a Marshall and than an Orange and my lord, I regret ever getting that Crate regardless of the reviews that pointed me to it.

Though, I can't say much about the pickups- I haven't been brave enough to mod the guitars I've picked up.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

The website says $5,839.

Ahhhh! Advertising, what would I do without you!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The website says $5,839.

in my fantasy world, I think of musical virtuosos as paragons of integrity

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The website says $5,839.

Well, objectively, $5,839 isn't really cheap (like I said, the one I played with my last year of college was $3,000, and it was a pretty amazing bow, so if it's going to be "cheap for the kind of sound they deliver," that's going to have to be one orgasmic kind of sound. That said, I don't know squat about carbon fiber bows. Remember, I bought my first cello two months ago.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The website says $5,839.

Well, objectively, $5,839 isn't really cheap (like I said, the one I played with my last year of college was $3,000, and it was a pretty amazing bow, so if it's going to be "cheap for the kind of sound they deliver," that's going to have to be one orgasmic kind of sound. That said, I don't know squat about carbon fiber bows. Remember, I bought my first cello two months ago.

I could be wrong, but i think that's 5,839 for the bow and the instrument.

edit: the cello is Price: $7,139. The viloa is 5,839

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    what would happen if the right side of your brain was bigger then your left since usually the left is bigger then the right?

Look in a mirror.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last I checked, the game industry remained relatively unaffected...at least in sales. Apparently people still spend cash monies on games, whether or not the economy is well off.

Other types of art? I have no idea. I'd imagine more commercially-based artstuffs still need to be produced and are in demand, whereas fine art and the likes are suffering. Commercials still need to be made, ads need to be drawn and designed, logos and websites created, etc etc...

You need to check again then.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh...well, I suppose it helps to actually click on the link. Carbon fiber instruments? That's just craziness.

I haven't ever really played on a carbon fiber anything, so I can't say anything specifically about its sound. However, it would seem to me, on both intuition and a horribly inadequate familiarity with materials science, that wood would have a warmer sound, and it generally improves with age. These things seem to be trying to appeal to the gadgetry factor to sell the thing. My guess, it's not all that great.

Oh, and that's not Yo Yo Ma.

EDIT: Oh, him. Yeah, that guy's Yo Yo Ma. The other one wasn't. What? Shut up, it's 3:10 in the morning here.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Last I checked, the game industry remained relatively unaffected...at least in sales. Apparently people still spend cash monies on games, whether or not the economy is well off.

Other types of art? I have no idea. I'd imagine more commercially-based artstuffs still need to be produced and are in demand, whereas fine art and the likes are suffering. Commercials still need to be made, ads need to be drawn and designed, logos and websites created, etc etc...

EA's having rough times and quite a few others are letting go of whole branches.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Prices to ride on a bus increased which I don't even get because the price of gas dropped immensely. Unless alot of people rode the bus only because of high gas prices. But then the bus prices should of been more then because the gas to drive the bus would cost more.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    t would seem to me, on both intuition and a horribly inadequate familiarity with materials science, that wood would have a warmer sound, and it generally improves with age. These things seem to be trying to appeal to the gadgetry factor to sell the thing. My guess, it's not all that great.

Oh, and that's not Yo Yo Ma.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure this is true. The accoustic guitar I recently bought is nearly all non-wood material. Only the top, supports, and the neck are actually made from wood However, I had no idea until I already had the guitar home.

Still, it sounded and sounds better than any guitar I could find at Guitar Center save for one 3000 martin.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone here know actionscript? I need help. I got enemies to work in sword dog, but other problems have arisen.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Prices to ride on a bus increased which I don't even get because the price of gas dropped immensely. Unless alot of people rode the bus only because of high gas prices. But then the bus prices should of been more then because the gas to drive the bus would cost more.

Even with lowering gas prices, the price of overhead has stayed close to the same, and with decreased ridership, that overhead has to be spread out among fewer people, and thus a higher price per person, per bus.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, whoops, the cello costs $7139, not $5839.

Tam on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    God, buses and cellos are going to bankrupt us all!

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Since we're still talking about musical instruments, and I'm still in the mood to post youtube videos...
    Joe Satriani! yeah!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cellos driving buses

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    At least we have identified the appropriate scapegoats for the current financial shitstorm.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All this instrument talk has rekindled my desire to learn an instrument. I did a few years of flute a while back but soon grew tired of it.

Now I have a real hankering to pick up an acoustic guitar. And hopefully with a few contacts I can borrow one for free.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Democrats and Republicans alike can finally unite over the mutual hatred of cellists and bus drivers for bringing upon us this financial ruin. It is a beautiful day for our world.

(Because it is the fault of the people who use cellos and operate buses that they are so expensive)

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

EA's having rough times and quite a few others are letting go of whole branches.

About 20 of my good friends are looking for jobs right now in the industry.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    All this instrument talk has rekindled my desire to learn an instrument. I did a few years of flute a while back but soon grew tired of it.

Now I have a real hankering to pick up an acoustic guitar. And hopefully with a few contacts I can borrow one for free.

You can pick up a new, cheap acoustic for the price of two Xbox 360 video games. Also, it'd be cheaper than flying to California and borrowing mine.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    how do you EVEN HAVE that many friends?!

Edit: gasp metalbourne you live in california tooooooooo00000?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Since we're still talking about musical instruments, and I'm still in the mood to post youtube videos...
    *snip*

As much as I like satch more than other shredders, I just can't get into that style anymore...

@flay: Borrow it unless its really shitty... that way if you decide it isn't for you, you haven't lost anything but some time.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited February 2009

Well, damn. That's some low opinion you have of me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Democrats and Republicans alike can finally unite over the mutual hatred of cellists and bus drivers for bringing upon us this financial ruin. It is a beautiful day for our world.

(Because it is the fault of the people who use cellos and operate buses that they are so expensive)

:cry:

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    are you kidding me? I have like 1/2 of a friend 3 would make my head implode 20 is like prostitute status

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes. I just moved here. What part of California do you live in?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »

:cry:

You'd better not be a bus driver too.

You son of a bitch.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How long has it been since weird ol' Richard D. James released something new?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *Hides his bus driver uniform*

crawdaddio on
This discussion has been closed.