As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I suck at video games

Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I got the FFT games for the PSP, very excited to play it, because I loved it on the PS1 way back when.

Except for the fact every single battle is very difficult, and I have a hard time during the random encounters. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm just bad at it.

So, any advice?

Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
Toxin01 on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You sort of suck at thread titles too.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You sort of suck at thread titles too.

That was some quality advice from the troll there.

Anyhow, whats your party composition like? I know my ex had lots of problems with the game because she has a thing for having too many magic users in her party, and she couldnt win and was stuck all the time. I went in and changed a few of her guys around and she breezed through it right after i did that. Have you tried using the internet and just googling some stuff?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, everything I find is guides for getting thru fights, and they will talk about getting your black mages and knights to do such and such, but all of my characters only have 2-3 abilities and are all level 2-3, while everything I'm fighting (even in random encounters) is 3-4. And half of my guys are going down in one or two hits. Also everything counters me and it makes killing them near impossible.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Grind more. Suicide charge less. FFT is easy as snot. You can let guest characters literally solo battles for you. I can't even fathom anybody having difficulty with anything but some of the SURPRISE boss battles that put you in weird situations.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah you do have to do a bit of side questing to get your characters to be a little bit more decent for sure. I dont have any experience with the PSP one but i played the ps1 one all the time. I never really had much difficulty, especially once my magic users started to get really strong.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    some of the early fights are really genuinely difficult if things don't go as they're supposed to, or if you run into somewhat more advanced randoms like chocobos. If you run into a somewhat impossible random early on, don't give up. It's just as likely you'll run into an easy random if you reload.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How much experience you had in general?

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was about 11 when I played the PS1 version and I breezed past it, and now I'm getting destroyed by this. Kind of funny.

Is there any way to avoid counter?

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Toxin, the beginning of FFT is probably the hardest part of the game. The trick is to make sure you always have at least one archer (when you get bows). In the beginning I usually keep most everyone a squire till I can get the "Accumulate" skill from them. That way you can get JP from standing anywhere in the battle when you use it, and it increases your melee damage.

So when you get the skill, switch to a knight and make sure to add the squire ability to your skills. You must ALWAYS have one chemist (or white mage, or healing type) in your party at all times. Also, monks are pretty awesome since they get that air render spell or whatever that allows you to attack from a distance.

urahonky on
  • Options
    green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Toxin, the beginning of FFT is probably the hardest part of the game. The trick is to make sure you always have at least one archer (when you get bows). In the beginning I usually keep most everyone a squire till I can get the "Accumulate" skill from them. That way you can get JP from standing anywhere in the battle when you use it, and it increases your melee damage.

So when you get the skill, switch to a knight and make sure to add the squire ability to your skills. You must ALWAYS have one chemist (or white mage, or healing type) in your party at all times. Also, monks are pretty awesome since they get that air render spell or whatever that allows you to attack from a distance.

i concur with urahonky :) this is a good strategy, especially if you've not played it since PS1

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You don't suck at video games. You're just having problems with Final Fantasy Tactics.

The first 20 or so battles are tough, because you have jack and squat for abilities. I would leave off the magic users until you have some solid Knights/Squires who can win with Alchemist/Throw Potion support. In fact, White magic is nearly useless compared to Alchemists. Spend a lot of time in Mandalia Plain, moving back and forth on it to grind out random encounters.

Early on, you need abilities that you can spam without interaction from monsters, like Focus (Squire). Usually, it's better to sit back in a corner or chokepoint and wait for the enemy to come to you, especially if there's a large movement disparity in the enemy force (Chocobo + Goblins = Chocobos will reach you first and get slaughtered). A group of Squires and one Alchemist can usually hold out for 4 or 5 turns, all using Focus to increase their attack power for the battle, then focus fire on incoming beasties.

Once you unlock some new Jobs, the game gets much easier. But I would always save after every battle, in a different slot, because some of the boss/quest battles are much tougher than you will anticipate.

Also, random encounters are based off of the level of the highest person on your whole roster. I would start out leveling up folks evenly (excluding plot characters, of course, because you don't get them for the random battles).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks guys, I'm going to start over and try all of this out.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, as soon as you can start the XP exploit to level up your jobs. If you don't it takes forever and a day to raise their abilities and it's a huge waste of time.
    Plus all the cooler jobs take fucking forever to get to.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh and get a Dragoon, there is a later battle that involves a big castle wall....i cant remember it completely. But i remember my Dragoon being absolutely vital to winning it.

Elimination on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Also, as soon as you can start the XP exploit to level up your jobs. If you don't it takes forever and a day to raise their abilities and it's a huge waste of time.

And what exploit would that be?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh and get a Dragoon, there is a later battle that involves a big castle wall....i cant remember it completely. But i remember my Dragoon being absolutely vital to winning it.

Yea, a dragoon, and work to build up a Monk with a Ninja's double strike ability.

Monks punch....hard, add that twice = mucho damage.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Have a mage that knows Berserk, Toad, and Stone
    Have at least one character (preferably all of them) have the abilities Rend Speed and Rend Power
    Disable all reaction commands for everyone
    Send your characters into a random battle. Approach every monster and Rend its speed down to 1
    Then Rend all monsters' power down to 1
    Then turn all monsters into toads
    Then Rend YOUR team's power down to 1
    Have the mage turn your team into toads
    Have the mage cast Berserk on your team
    Have the mage cast stone on herself
    Leave game alone for a couple of hours
    Voila you just gained about 10 levels and 3000ish JP

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Have at least one character (preferably all of them) have the abilities Rend Speed and Rend Power
    Send your characters into a random battle. Approach every monster and Rend its speed down to 1

I did that back in the day on the original PSX. Just rent everyone's power/speed/etc down to one. Then I'd have my guys hit each other while I heal everyone, while keeping the monster pinned. Was better to do it to a chocobo because they would heal everyone around him so we could keep doing damage (using Focus or throw stone).

urahonky on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Wow, that is pretty awesome. Wish I knew about it back in the PS1 days.

solsovly on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    You never needed it in the PS1 days. Most of the jobs can be mastered easily with the JP scroll glitch. This is something that I actually found out on my own back when I played the original, purely by accident when messing around with the Samurai job.

Also, I tend to master most of the jobs on my female characters by blitzing to the Dancer job, and using the Dances to earn JP. You can easily move and Dance, avoiding enemies and whittling down their speed/health several times before the enemies can act. The Bard option is much less effective, but you can always Tailwind/Focus spam.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

You don't need that shit on the PS1 version. If you cut out the grind then you remove 99% of the game. Why? Because the moment you get two White Mage Calculators you can, literally, auto every fight in the game except maybe 2 or 3. Hell, throw in a Bard and 2 Dancers and things get really fucked up.

I love that game.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, how do you get out of that frog situation? How does anyone finish the fight? Or do they eventually whittle each other down to 0 HP?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, how do you get out of that frog situation? How does anyone finish the fight? Or do they eventually whittle each other down to 0 HP?

Your alchemist/white mage does not go frog.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow that's hardcore. I tihnk it will take me a while to set it up too.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Your alchemist/white mage does not go frog.

That makes sense, I didn't see that in the instructions.

When I exploited it I'd just break the enemies speed and have Ramza Yell everyone up to max speed, then hurt and heal the last guy for a long time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Wow, I never thought about that. I used to grind it out the old fashioned way with the exception of putting an enemy to sleep and constantly attacking healing my own guys. Kinda seems this would take the fun out of the game though.
    (Except for the battles with Wiegraph and Elmdor if you trying to steal all the Genji stuff, level up like hell for those!)

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I did that back in the day on the original PSX. Just rent everyone's power/speed/etc down to one. Then I'd have my guys hit each other while I heal everyone, while keeping the monster pinned. Was better to do it to a chocobo because they would heal everyone around him so we could keep doing damage (using Focus or throw stone).
    I see wat u did thar
    Also
    Using berserk means you don't even have to navigate menus.
    Laziness = better ^-^

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Because your team is berserked
    Example
    Magey (The Mage)
    Ramza
    Orlandu
    Knight
    Knight
    Your four guys are berserked and rend speeded and toad...ed to a rend power-ed, rend speed-ed,and toaded enemy (we'll call it Lamia). Your Mage cast stone on herself so she's out of the battle
    Thus here's how the turns play out
    1. Ramza (Berserked, attacks for one)
    2. Orlandu (Berserked, attacks for one)
    3. Knight (Berserked, attacks for one)
    4. Knight (Berserked, attacks for one)
    5. Magey (is Stoned, so pass)
    6. Ramza (Berserked, attacks for one)
    7. Orlandu (Berserked...etc etc etc.)
    until....
    28. Knight (Berserked, attacks for one)
    29. Magey (is Stoned, so pass)
    30. Lamia (attacks for one)
    You take somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 attacks to the Lamia's one, because you rended its speed down to one
    Thus it's possible to do this strategy for a whole enemy team
    Stormwatcher: It takes about a half an hour the first time you attempt it to set it all up, but it's really worth it, your character's main job'll get at or close to 9999 JP in the job and if you have a seperate job for each character everyone'll get like a grand or so JP in those other jobs
    Honestly I hated all the fucking grinding you did for the really shit jobs so I just used this strategy
    I played the actually enjoyable jobs how they're meant to be played
    Also, yes this strat makes story fights embarassingly easy...but most of them are balls difficult anyways so whatev's...however random battles are tough as fuck because you most likely levelled your 99s with the Chemist class so have shit stats
    Of course that's when you use the trap glitch ftw

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I see wat u did thar
    Also
    Using berserk means you don't even have to navigate menus.
    Laziness = better ^-^

Haha my strategy worked for the beginning classes. :) I used this for the Squire/Knight/Chemist beginning. And yeah I thought I'd throw that in there. :)

urahonky on