As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Living/working in Ireland

RichardTauberRichardTauber KvltRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm thinking of moving to Ireland and working there for a while/permanent. What do I have to do? Where can I find any job ads? Any general tips? I'm a swede with pretty alright knowledge of english and I'll take any jobs that I can get by with.

RichardTauber on

• Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It is my understanding that the job market in Ireland is pretty horrible right now. Is there a specific field you have qualifications in?

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alright. No, not really. Is it that bad?

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, without having looked into it, it is my recollection that Ireland was supposed to be the next big tech country a few years back. I guess that failed to happen. Maybe horrible was the wrong word to use. Here is a somewhat recent article that might have some application to your situation:

http://www.cipd.co.uk/branch/ireland/resources/_Unemployment-pr.htm

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, no, Ireland is not the place to go work right now. Dell just closed all operations in Ireland, opting to move to Lodz, Poland, because it's cheaper for them.

Ireland was pretty hot for a while, because it had plenty of people, and it was ridiculously easy to get into (and therefore service all of the EU). Since the global economy is in the shitter, Ireland's is too, and all those booming companies are dead or closing up shop.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RavenidRavenid Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As someone living in Ireland who's looking for a job in Dublin there's some jobs available but for every job there is about 4 or 5 people looking for a job.

But there is a large amount of companies looking for Dutch, Finish, and German speakers. Dell are hiring German speakers at the moment despite letting half their Support staff go. The GM's for Warhammer Europe (Companies name is GOA if your interested) are based in Dublin and are looking for European language speakers big time.

Try www.monster.ie and have a look for jobs there.

Good Luck.

Ravenid on
    banner_en.gif

Regardless of what site you're on, you're still on the internet. There will always be retards - ThisGuy
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks guys. I'll see what's possible.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, the job situation here in Ireland isn't so great, I've been trying, and faling, to get a job for a while now.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads