As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual On On]Border Break: Sega Network Robot Wars

Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
scan1kz0.jpg

thats a scan from the most recent issue of famitsu, announcing Border Break: Sega Network Robot Wars. there arent any screens or anything yet, but its going to be shown at the AOU 2009 show Feb 18th. everyone seems to be assuming its the spiritual successor to Virtual On, but this ones got 10v10 network play going on. so i know there not much info at this point, and on top of that the chances of it making it to the states is nil... but im still damn excited about it! personally im hoping this turns out awesome and we get a port sometime down the road with full online play and everything.

heres the original article i jacked the info from at insert credit for good measure
Now, before people get ahead of themselves; SEGA are making a new mecha versus arcade game. Specifically one that is fully online that supports up to 20 players (10 a side). It's also being handled by SEGA AM2 and will most probably be on Lindbergh hardware (though the latter is an assumption on my part).

You could think this might be an update to Virtual On but that wonderful series of games has always been helmed by SEGA AM3. So it's doubtful that this is a shiny new update to Juro Watari's overlooked masterpiece (though not entirely impossible, as I know a Virtual On arcade game had been planned after Marz but got canned).

So why the resurgence then? Well, Senjou no Kizuna (the Gundam arcade game with a panoramic cockpit in case you'd forgotten) is making lots of money at the moment and SEGA probably want in on the act.

Border Break will be shown at the upcoming AOU show in February. Thanks to Alex Kierkegaard for the heads up.

Ah_Pook on

• Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aw, I was hoping to see info about a release on a home platform, but the article implies it'll be in the arcade scene. Man, I don't think I've even seen or heard of an arcade in Chicago.

Arminas on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was in boot camp back in 99, they had a huge arcade at the mall there. The one with the Games Workshop store. Did it close down?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope it comes over to the states when they release it for the 360/ps3 after awhile.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    now with videos

trailer
    gameplay

it looks pretty fun, but not really like virtual on

Ah_Pook on