As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My email address sucks

ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I added someone to msn only to have them delete me moments later because of what I believe is my email address - It's practically gibberish. (but not really)

That's not the point though - What I want to know is what happens to regular email at this point? Can I send one and have it go through normally or will it be blocked there too? (assuming it was a block/delete to begin with)
What are the odds that a gmail address gets filtered to junk in a gmail account?

This person gave me their email in person and there's no conceivable reason for them to have block/deleted me otherwise. (I only know that I'm not on their list at this point through msn+, which has been more than reliable.)
Also, I was appearing offline and afk when it happened, I only know through event logs - If someone never actually approves of the add you'll never see their display name, which I can.

I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
ApexMirage on

• SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    just email him/her, mentioning who you are. you might be better off pretending you're checking if you got the right email because no one wants to know you know they blocked you if they did. Gmail doesn't filter for spam based on MSN blocking. I think even in hotmail you have to manually block their emails even if you block them from msn.

Sam on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you could always make a non-gibberish e-mail address and start using that instead. Its like the internet's version of witness protection.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's always good to have a "regular" email address, specially when you start putting that in resumes and documents and what not.

Usually some combination of your first and last name works fine.

Kyougu on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, XXXSephirothXXX@gmail.com doesnt look good on a resume

MagicPrime on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I used to have an excite.com email address (I accidentally signed up for it to use blue mountain cards on-line) - it won't get through the firewall at work, so I've given up and got a gmail account.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just make an email address that's [firstname][lastname]@wherever.com. Novelty email addresses are so 90s. 8-)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am a fan of [firstname].[lastname]@wherever.com . Makes it quite easy to say to people.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just use the first letter for my first name and middle name, and full last name.

Kyougu on
    edited January 2009
    On any resume or professional item I always use my college e-mail address.

MagicPrime on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    I go for the long-term hardcore version: my email address is very much a vital part of my online identity. firstname@mydomain.net is what I use, and I intend to keep it that way for as many decades as possible.

Echo on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I finally decided to get a Gmail account over the summer only to find that every variation on my name was taken. So I had to do the silly "Part of your name plus a number" thing.

So I used 314, because I'm a horrible geek. I figure that's at least professional, being a math teacher.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I too ran into gmail problems when making a professional e-mail, and since I didn't like the FirstName.LastName structure for fear of them missing a period (scary in any situation), I went with FirstNameFML (fml are first, middle, and last initials).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    get a gmail account with a decent name.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I too ran into gmail problems when making a professional e-mail, and since I didn't like the FirstName.LastName structure for fear of them missing a period (scary in any situation), I went with FirstNameFML (fml are first, middle, and last initials).

Periods in gmail addresses are entirely optional. If your address is first.last@gmail.com, you will still get mail addressed to firstlast@gmail.com or even fir.st.la.st@gmail.com

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've already got a new email setup but I was dreading it because I'd already put my msn list through a hotmail/gmail switch recently enough. Good to know nothing's blocked though, thanks.

ApexMirage on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Periods in gmail addresses are entirely optional. If your address is first.last@gmail.com, you will still get mail addressed to firstlast@gmail.com or even fir.st.la.st@gmail.com

srsly?

does it work the other way around? mail sent to first.last@ ends up in firstlast@ ?
    This is the first i've ever heard of it, and a really quick google gets me nothing...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is the time when it sucks to be a Junior. Since my dad has the same name as me he took all the professional email addresses. Except gmail. He forgot about that one. But MSN, Yahoo, hotmail, all were already taken.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

srsly?

does it work the other way around? mail sent to first.last@ ends up in firstlast@ ?
    This is the first i've ever heard of it, and a really quick google gets me nothing...

Yep. Bit of a flaw.

On the other hand, it's useful, since you can set up a code system. If spam comes in with the 'sent to' field matching the code for a certain site, you know who sold your ass to spammers or got cracked wide open by them.

yalborap on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    This is the time when it sucks to be a Junior. Since my dad has the same name as me he took all the professional email addresses. Except gmail. He forgot about that one. But MSN, Yahoo, hotmail, all were already taken.

Use the Gmail address for MSN. You don't need Hotmail for that.

Echo on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

srsly?

Yep. Bit of a flaw.

On the other hand, it's useful, since you can set up a code system. If spam comes in with the 'sent to' field matching the code for a certain site, you know who sold your ass to spammers or got cracked wide open by them.

I can see why they did it though, to keep people from registering similiar account names to another person.

However, it's easier to use plusses to set up spam traps, like if you have

email@site.com

you put this when registering at Brachs website

email+candy@site.com

then you can see if they sell the email address.

FyreWulff on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Just make an email address that's [firstname][lastname]@wherever.com. Novelty email addresses are so 90s. 8-)

I've had the same e-mail for 13 years. Novelty for life, yo.

EskimoDave on
    edited January 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I've had the same e-mail for 13 years. Novelty for life, yo.

As have I, but after this incident I'm rethinking it =/

ApexMirage on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If my name is Apex Tyrant Mirage these are email possibilities.

AMirage@gmail.com
    A.Mirage@gmail.com
    ApexMirage@gmail.com
    Apex.Mirage@gmail.com
    ATMirage@gmail.com

ect. Use things like this, not necessarily gmail but I recommend it, and I'm sure lots of other do, too. Classy, professional, mature. People will know who you are.

Topia on
    edited January 2009
    I already mentioned I've already got a new one set up.

ApexMirage on