As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Are you ready for some footWAAAAAGH!?

stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
haut.jpg

Two videos of Greenskins murdering elves, and lizard men stomping some rat folk

bbowl.jpg

The Blood Bowl game, currently being developed by Cyanide and to be published by Focus Home Interactive, is an adaptation of Games Workshop's highly successful board game. Matches, involving two teams of 11 players, are as tactical as American football, but far more violent! The winner is the team that scores the most touchdowns (i.e. gets the ball into the opposition end zone) and it's basically no holds barred to that end! It even happens that the players on one side are completely wiped out... Despite the best efforts of the Apothecaries.

Discover or relive furious Blood Bowl matches via the turn-based mode which fully respects the rules of the Living Rulebook 5. If you're up to it, there is also a real-time mode which will seriously test your nerves and your reflexes.

* Become coach of an unmerciful team of Blood Bowlers and recruit players from 8 different races: Chaos, Dwarfs, Goblins, Humans, Lizardmen, Orcs, Skavens or Wood Elves.

* Lead your players to victory and progress them through multiplayer championships (Internet).

* Renew and upgrade player equipment so as to improve their characteristics, making them even more dangerous and pitiless during a game.

* Customize your players, creating your own identity for your team.

Blood Bowl development is on-going and the game should hit the shelves (with a heavy thud) by Q2 2009. Keep up to date on events via the official game website (news, screens, videos...). You can also interact with the development team and ask all sorts of questions via the game forum.

Looks pretty damn interesting, I think this might be the closest thing to Mutant League I'll see so I definately have my fingers crossed.
However, I dont see many promising games on the developers site. Horse racing and pro cycling....

Anyone interested in some *snicker* Fantasy Football?

*edit*
Apparently this is on Tycho's horizon as well...
Tycho wrote:
The last week has seen an almost daily emission of Blood Bowl press materials, but until today they haven't really shown the game they're intending to sell us: no more. It's sort of an interesting story, for me at least: a company called Cyanide Studio makes a game called Chaos League which everyone recognizes is Games Workshop's Blood Bowl minus the license. There is a lawsuit, which (instead of obliterating them, as you would expect) gave Cyanide the actual Blood Bowl license, to make a real Blood Bowl game like real boys. Infringement is the sincerest form of flattery, apparently.

What it means for us is that this game will probably feel very much like a 2.0 product, given their previous experience and technology. If you're not familiar, let me have the honor: Blood Bowl is a board game that combines football with fucking murder, marbled together like a choice cut. It's not new by any means, it is well loved, and even the base rules - ones that pit identical teams against each other - make for an incredible afternoon. That's only the beginning of course, as you'll see. Where it comes into its own is when its unique fantasy teams hit the field. They've tried to make everyone happy it would seem, with real-time and turn-based play, leagues, and bits and paints for customization. I do hope they see fit to deliver a demo - there's enough meat and raw fun in Blood Bowl to turn someone's random midnight download into a genuine obsession.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
stavesacre on

• Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I will be playing this. I love the boardgame, and loved Fumbbl, too.

But then no-one would play me at Fumbbl anymore. :|

Kay2 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wonder how the "upgrade your team!" will work in a multiplayer environment.

Glal on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woo it's on the PC, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and PSP. I'll definitely be getting the 360 version and which ever handheld version looks best. I love me some Blood Bowl.

Cullen on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wonder if there will be a dungeon bowl add on? Loved me some Dwarven Giants vs. Gouged Eye.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I ,for one, is approving of greenskins murdering the everliving shit out of elves on primetime tv.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want this so hard.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Haha, my friends and I just started a blood bowl league tabletop. New rules. It's interesting and I am pretty bad at the best of times with Warhammer. Also, I hope they include Dungeon Bowl in this! We had a 4- way dungeon bowl match which was a lot of fun!

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I wonder how the "upgrade your team!" will work in a multiplayer environment.

Probably the same way it worked in the boardgame version? Better teams have higher gate ratings, and underdogs get experience boosts (if they survive) so even if you lose, because the other team is massively better, you still get a big boost out of it.

Rook on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dear god, I forgot about this.

I love how in the news post about the first video they say it channels Madden + Warcraft. ... sigh.

KiTA on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Want...WANT!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Should be tons of fun...but why the PSP instead of the PS3?

toolbert on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been looking forward to this for a while. I loves me some Blood Bowl (Go Orcland Raiders!)
    Fun fact: The dudes who are working on this, Cyanide, made a game a few years back called Chaos League, which was basically Blood Bowl except for a few things changed. In an uncharacteristically charitable moment, Games Workshop hired them to make a proper Blood Bowl game, although according to Wikipedia, "Any differences between Games Workshop and Cyanide have been amicably settled for an undisclosed sum, and as part of the settlement the Chaos League title has been assigned to Games Workshop," so maybe it wasn't so amicable. Either way, we're getting Blood Bowl! Woo!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of Blood Bowl, would anyone be interested in setting up some FUMBBL games?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This better be awesome.

I will cry if its not.

(Necromunda or Mordheim game next plz)

(wait, fuck that GORKAMORKA!)

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Madden + Warcraft? Sign me up!
    Seriously, though, I'm really looking forward to this.

Is this going to be on the download services, like Live Arcade, or is this a full $60 disc?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This better be awesome.

I will cry if its not.

(Necromunda or Mordheim game next plz)

(wait, fuck that GORKAMORKA!)

There was going to be a Gorkamorka game, long ago, for the Dreamcast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndLhrTw-wgA

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MutantFootball1.png

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Some screen in the OP would be awesome, because I am work and can't see anything.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want to play again Sceptre :-p

Edgie on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where's the murlok team?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been looking forward to this for a while. I loves me some Blood Bowl (Go Orcland Raiders!)
    Fun fact: The dudes who are working on this, Cyanide, made a game a few years back called Chaos League, which was basically Blood Bowl except for a few things changed. In an uncharacteristically charitable moment, Games Workshop hired them to make a proper Blood Bowl game, although according to Wikipedia, "Any differences between Games Workshop and Cyanide have been amicably settled for an undisclosed sum, and as part of the settlement the Chaos League title has been assigned to Games Workshop," so maybe it wasn't so amicable. Either way, we're getting Blood Bowl! Woo!
    I own a copy of Chaos League and I can attest to the fact that it's an unashamed plagiat of Bloodbowl. It's still awesome though, so I think the Bloodbowl license is in quite capable hands.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CoopraCoopra Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are there any gameplay videos released yet

Coopra on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    MutantFootball1.png

I loved this game, this and Mutant League Hockey. I'd always win because I'd murder the entire opposing team, never scoring once. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    MutantFootball1.png

I loved this game, this and Mutant League Hockey. I'd always win because I'd murder the entire opposing team, never scoring once. :D

Yeah I would do the same thing. After a tackle start spamming the change player and dive command and watch the body parts fly! heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Another awesome game I want but won't have time to play!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No Dark Elves? Man, the Hag Graef Fahsionistas are gonna be pissed!

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    MutantFootball1.png

God I loved that game. Blitz was a good substitute, but I would love to see another incarnation of mutant league football. That would make a great online multiplayer game as well.

I also had to mention that the title for this thread is awesome!

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Coopra wrote: »
    Are there any gameplay videos released yet

The most recent video shows off some of the turn-based and real time gameplay, as well as character customization.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Most recent video where?

Glal on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Didn't the guys who are making this game create an unlicensed fantasy football game before this one?

I think they did two, even. They were pretty close knock-offs of Blood Bowl, but unfortunately they sucked.

Well, imo anyway. I played it at a friends house and was terribly unimpressed with the gameplay.

He's a die hard fan, and a die hard gamer, but even he tired of the games flaws.

I'm skeptical whether this game is just all bells and whistles, but with the same flawed gameplay...

...unless they leaved the Blood Bowl rule system alone.

Btw, there's an excellent online multiplayer Java version of Blood Bowl somewhere on the net. But I can't remember the name of that either. :(

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm looking forward getting this for my PSP. I went through the list of currently anounced PSP titles sometimes back, seeing what game are there on the horizont for the system - and it was pretty much only this one for me. Anyway, it looks really fun, plus it's Warhammer, but imho probably not worth paying full price for.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This looks like a solid rendition of Blood bowl.

If you look in the character creation, you can see Block dice, Block dice!! 8-)

That is just awesome, I'm going to get this for the 360, cure me of Blood bowl lust.

Then again...wheres the vampires :winky:

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I will definitely get this on PSP if the price and reviews are reasonable. I played the heck out of field commander and I need some good tactical fun.

Alfred, I have no history on the warhammer series. Are they known for flawed products?

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Their first game, Chaos League, was great, so I'm hoping for good things from this.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    Didn't the guys who are making this game create an unlicensed fantasy football game before this one?

I think they did two, even. They were pretty close knock-offs of Blood Bowl, but unfortunately they sucked.

Well, imo anyway. I played it at a friends house and was terribly unimpressed with the gameplay.

He's a die hard fan, and a die hard gamer, but even he tired of the games flaws.

Yea, they even got sued over it because it was so close to the original. In the end Games Workshop got money and the developer got the official license to a blood bowl game.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was lamenting the loss of crazy Teams in Madden the other day (like the mummies and the monsters), this may be a good substitute for "SERIOUS" football.

I just hope the real time mode doesn't feel tacked on, I don't have anything against turn based games, but turn based football holds no appeal for me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This looks fun. I've always wanted to get into Blood Bowl and this would probably be a perfect gateway.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NestaNesta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    People, people, people...

Why you're waiting in anticipation for this to come out, head over to FUMBBL.COM and play some muthafucking Blood Bowl!

Nesta on
    Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold. -Robert Nesta Marley
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm begging from any god that will listen that this game is any good. I'd be satisfied if it was just a straight conversion of the rules into video game form.

Santa Claustrophobia on