As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digital art, now with animation too!

• Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, trying to vary the inks now, deleted the darkened corners, tried my hand at two-colour shading...
    How bad is it now, for a first-time colorist.?

7copylh8.jpg
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9676/8copywi3.jpg

Just one more page and the soppy stuff stops and killing starts, but anyone knows where to get good reference for exploding heads?

JCM on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That girl's head looks weird (in the panel where we see her from the front). Her look is scary and her the height of her hairs almost makes her look like a mini-Conehead.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Good catch, somebody also mentioned her boobs looked kinda low in the bottom-right panel, fixed those up

Tx for the crits

612008nb2.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    JCM wrote:
    anyone knows where to get good reference for exploding heads?

The movie Scanners would be a good place to start :wink:

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    60183949hc8.jpg

gsemultipart13963rr0.jpg

12copypp0.jpg
    In progress

JCM on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Flash? Craziness. I thought using Illustrator for inking was pretty far out.

Anyhow, only a couple things that stand out to me...
    the other arm on the guy with his head being blown off...where is it?

But your coloring is certainly improving. Good stuff!

Edman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Bummer, now that I dont know how to reply. :shock:

JCM on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    JCM wrote:

Bummer, now that I dont know how to reply. :shock:

Say it's at a perpendicular angle to his torso, instead of the backwards angle the visible one is at.

First time seeing all this, so obligitory, looks good!
    Only thing that made me wonder, was why they had a fingerprint scanner to get in, but no bullet proof glass on the security station.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Errr... cut funding?

JCM on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Working on some cover comissions, first time actually trying shades and gradients instead of the shitty flats/2-3 tones in my webcomic.

Here´s the line art for the first cover, drawn with Macromedia Flash

01coverbwsmallza4.jpg

Here´s the coloured version. What did I do wrong/could have done better?

01coversmallpn5.jpg

And now this is the second cover Im wrking on, anything that I could do to improve it?

02coverinprogresssmallgi7.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you have enough room for the title?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The lock in the middel of the 2nd one's face is pretty distracting.

Also, with the wide shoulders and small hips reaally make her look like a dude. I only saw she was female just before i started typing... my first crit was going to be "don't accentuate a dude's lips that much, he'll end up looking like a chick"

other than that, congrats to you for doing this all in macromedia *shakes his angry fist at his flash icon*

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll tackle the colors. First off, are you coloring in Flash? If so, you crazy. If not, proceed, because I know nothing of Flash, and would only serve to add confusion to the mix.

The colors feel "dirty" - kinda' like when people use black to do shading, and they mix it in their paints. It just makes everything look really dark and dirty. Also, the shading is awfully soft, and in your previous efforts, the shading has been more hard-lined. I prefer the hard-lined for the look you've had so far. It really accentuates the clean lines, and doesn't muddy up all that detail you've put in.

Perhaps, and this is what I've been playing with, try shading with complimentary colors. There is a link near the top of the questions forum that takes you to a kick-ass coloring tutorial. It's the one at pensnpixels, but I believe it's a dead link. (my internets are crazy)

Anyhow, keep at it. I'm enjoying your stuff.

Edman on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, colours are difficult. Your colours are too saturated, and there is not enough contrast. The lighting always seems to look like an overcast day.

Your colours should start off closer to white, and gradually get darker by painting over the lighter colours with darker shades of the same colour. That is, if the environment is brightly lit. I found it helpful in my own experiments with light/shading to develop a sense of exactly which point the light is emanating from, and make everything else black. Then i'll add one light source at a time to build the form of the figure.

So if theres a light in the background, you start off with characters that are sillhouettes. Drop in a red light to the left of someones face, i shade with red where i think the light should fall. Refine and repeat until the figure looks hot.

Not an expert, just fumbling with this stuff myself. hope it helps.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, I was gonna comment on how you should give your characters a little more energy when they're in an action scene or motion in general, but since this is more or less the actual style of the comic, i'd hate to alter it. I don't know; I just usually build up the majority of my characters with lines of motion to give them that sleek, electric vibe.

Wouldn't hurt to brush up on a little bit of anatomy though. You're probably already doing that, but spending an extra hour or two a day on the subject would do wonders i'm sure. It's not bad; just not great.

Godfather on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JCM wrote: »

2nm5.jpg

Not so much as your lines being shaky as how many useless lines you have. Like on the wall, ceiling, and floor. It looks like its growing hair. I don't know if there cracks or what. If they are cracks, try to make them go with perspective, and more thought out. Study.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the crits guys... trying to go back to the "detailed" yet "less rembudant lines" style.

Will post some stuff over the weekend.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Here´s the latest page (ok, rather lazy of me to repeat the panel, but I wanted to get that "blurry" waking up effect)

The line art drawn in Flash
    0001den3.jpg

The page drawn in Photoshop
    gsemultipart41332sq3.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this is the best one yet. very good.

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Your stuff is starting to remind me of Liefeld.

Grifter on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    She's on his left.
    also 'Young'n'

RubberAC on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    Your stuff is starting to remind me of Liefeld.

That's cruel.

I think you should focus on basics really, major things pop out with the inking. There's no lineweight whatsoever, the lines are flat and a lot of them are unecessary. More major things pop out with basic anatomy, like her fingers in that last one are like sausages, and the people themselves are somewhat unproportioned.

As for the coloring, try working out the mood and tone of the colors with the background first--then move on to coloring individual objects. By doing this you can get a local pallette of colors that can compliment eachother instead of conflict with eachother.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Ok, well, I'd suggest really working on your inking. I did the same thing when I was first starting out. Your lines are rushed and haphazard. You're not thinking about light sources when you ink. Though, you don't seem to be thinking about that when you're coloring either though so I guess it's to be expected. You're not really approaching it with a plan of attach other than a setting and which characters will be there. Having detail is well and good but you're perpetrating a fraud when you just add lines to imitate detail. Liefeld does that and that's where the comparison comes from. Check out this inking tutorial. Hopefully it'll give you some better guidance than you're already using.

http://www.teamspecialolympics.com/tutorials.php?id=12921

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    capnekkid2.jpg

Heh, Liefeld.

Anyway, im trying to avoid the "american look" in my comics, which means the people come from real-life mates of mine (for example, the one which had the not-so feminine hips, well, many women have that) so im staying away from the american style. Although hands still remain my biggest f-ups (more evident in my rpg sketches) and Im rtying hard with the anatomy.... *sigh* I should really have taken some kind of art classes.

And the inking Im going for moebius-style, or old school-Geof darrow, simple consitent lines, and colours as well, this is my first comic, and Im really trying to get away from the Wolverines and batman´s style i drew as a teen, and set a different style of my own, not emulate american comic books. While my stuff still is way below average, i do hope that with every page I can get better.

And damn I need to improve my light sources, im doing live model drawings now to practise anatomy, but anything that can help with light?

JCM on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Awesome tutorial.

JCM on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How the flying fuck did Marvel allow that to be published?

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Godfather wrote: »
    How the flying fuck did Marvel allow that to be published?
    he did start his illustrious carreer as a human tumour artist there

(Pity, because his Hawk and Dove stuff in DC wasnt bad)

JCM on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Next page, B&W
    17bwsx8.jpg

The colored version, where I reduce lines and make an attempt to actually use light sources.. (any success guys?)
    17copyun0.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wow. Massive improvement on that first panel. Anatomy on the second panel is a bit screwy; the arm/head/arm ratios aren't right, but its an ambitious angle. Looks like you've tried to cram everything in to the panel though. Less LINE MADNESS = improvement.

The lighting/colour choices really work with the environment. Is there light coming from that blue thing in the wall? If so, some blue light should be casting on the back of his head etc.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It seems like you're starting to control your detail alot better. Not just random detail for the sake of being detail, but detail that makes sense and adds to the image as a whole, rather than just a single element. Also, yeah, your anatomy is getting better, keep working at it.

A crit: I really don't think his foot at the bottom should be breaking into the gutter. It makes it seem kind of like he's floating above the 2 guys standing in front of him. A small complaint.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

01coverbwsmallza4.jpg

Here´s the coloured version. What did I do wrong/could have done better?

01coversmallpn5.jpg

This one I like the line art quite a bit on. The characters in the background have a little too much detail, and it's distracting but other than that it's great. I think the color on the girl is what needs work. Brown hair, brown suit, pale skin. Bleh. My eye is much more drawn to the cool looking blue and red guys in the background. To me she could be a giant statue in the background, I don't really feel like she is the focal point at all. I really like your coloring technique, I just feel like a different color choice could help accentuate the girl better.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The color came from the client who paid for the comission, I had a lighter brown for her suit, thanks for all the crits, past weeks Ive been overloaded, someone´s actually crazy enough to pay me to draw 53 character/npc potraits for a D&D game of his, and aside from some tv ads done in Flash and some comissioned animarion, I havent ahd the time to touch the Wacom for my own stuff for quite some time...

Here are some stuff I got to drawing last night-

88127777cn1.jpg
    25387835ja1.jpg

I´ll post a colored page tonight, as well as finish the gal

JCM on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wooooah. The perspective in that first panel is all kinds of fucked.

The detail in the environment is great, but a lot of the objects in the room are simple two point perspective/isometric (all parallel lines that don't move closer to each other the further they recede into the background), but then the doorway arch and the characters drawn in 3 point perspective.

Is that girl leaning sideways against that wall? I mean, consider that the line between her shoulders is relatively straight, and then match that line up against the lines on the object she's leaning against. Think of her chiropractic bills! Same with the guy walking through the doorway; he looks top heavy, hunch-backed and sort of looks like he's falling over because his feet recede/shrink too much compared to the environment. The angle says that his feet should actually be under his head; we shouldn't be able to see his whole back and thighs and stuff.

Is foreshortening the problem here? I'm not sure of the correct term.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ouch, drawing lines between the shoulders on the guy and the gal showed theyre way off alright... guess its time to redo the first panel.... Maybe I could put a slight perspective slant to offset the isometric background?

Thanks... err.. wheree did the other guy´s post go to?

JCM on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I kept the isometric background, but moved/changed the characters to accomodate it...
    18copytk1.jpg

Here's some animation sprites for a flash game
    testba7.gif

Since my art output has reduced drastically, might as well post my pen and paper stuff too

Unfinished sketch of Satan (from the demons thread) drawn in a bus, quite shaky
    000001ci3.jpg

A character comission
    000qf6.jpg

Another one... think I screwed the leg though
    000002iy5.jpg

EDIT, some wallpapers, spoliered not to break horizontal scroll
    wallpaper2ef0.jpg
    wallpaper1fv1.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Colored the cover sketch

resizedcovervx2.jpg

I realize this is from months ago, but I think the gungrip looks kind of wacky.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/grip_0925/

Treeloot on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also the grip is way too long in relation to the barrel. About the last page, Why does he burn through the ropes tying his arms then kick the woman in the face? Wouldn't it be easier to, you know, knock her out first then untie himself? Just sayin'..

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He hasnt finished burning thorugh them yet...

JCM on