Options

[Chat]ain Morgan

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yes sir. That is Hardcore Punk. Came right after real punk died.

If we kill it can real punk come back?

Please?

What would you call real punk? Check the bad brains video I posted. That's punk at it's finest in the late 70s early 80s.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Ed - Metal punk... ish. Shai Hulud has more to do with Metal than Punk.

Cinders - I don't agree with Qingu much either, but there's nothing new there.

Still, Obs post just seems out of touch more than outright malicious.

There's seriously very little metal influence with shai hulud. Maybe you could say vocally they were influenced by the guttural sound metal bands started to adapt. Other than that everything about their music is punk. The tempo, progressions, song structures, lyrics.

Maybe in their early stuff, but that other video you posted is very not punk. It's more like metal screaming with the occasional spoken phrase, all embedded in the typical metal wall of sound.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DUE, go check out Comeback Kid

:D

Tav on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was more pointing out the general absurdity of his short story then implying any meanness on his part.

Cinders on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seriously, DUE, what's the difference between hardcore punk and metal, other than metal bands call themselves "metal," and hardcore punk bands call themselves "hardcore punk?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Please?

What would you call real punk? Check the bad brains video I posted. That's punk at it's finest in the late 70s early 80s.

I'll watch it.

Stuff that sounds more like rancid, I guess. I don't know, that shalu whatever band sounded awful awful awful.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    and by the way since we're on it and i'm going to be a bit of a music nerd.

this is screamo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGep6sOLVA&feature=related

this is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTU-AKAs5s

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    DUE, go check out Comeback Kid

:D

They're good. I think they may have peaked though.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Seriously, DUE, what's the difference between hardcore punk and metal, other than metal bands call themselves "metal," and hardcore punk bands call themselves "hardcore punk?"

What metal are you talking about here? They sound vaguely like metalcore, but I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I don't see any similarities other than instruments being involved. They don't even use the same tuning. What would you say makes them similar?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What metal are you talking about here? They sound vaguely like metalcore, but I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Yeah metalcore is a logical step.

But that's because those are bands that blend metal and. .hey hardcore punk.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

this is screamo

this is not.

It makes me sad that the difference between emo and screamo needs to be described using videos :(

Tav on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    James, James, hey James.... Psssst....

Hey! Hey! Listen!

James on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

this is screamo

this is not.

It makes me sad that the difference between emo and screamo needs to be described using videos :(
    Does one involve screaming

Elendil on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

I was more pointing out the general absurdity of his short story then implying any meanness on his part.

Ah, yes, that I can agree with. Still, why get mad about it? Just treat him like the special ed kid who managed to sneak into the cafeteria without his teacher knowing. If you let him sit by himself in the corner long enough eventually he'll get bored of playing with his chicken fingers and wander away.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

this is screamo

this is not.

Does one involve screaming

You should solve crimes.

And wear a hat.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Please?
    I'll watch it.

Stuff that sounds more like rancid, I guess. I don't know, that shalu whatever band sounded awful awful awful.
    You should check out some Anal Cunt.

I Just Saw the Gayest Guy on Earth is a classic.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Ah, yes, that I can agree with. Still, why get mad about it? Just treat him like the special ed kid who managed to sneak into the cafeteria without his teacher knowing. If you let him sit by himself in the corner long enough eventually he'll get bored of playing with his chicken fingers and wander away.

I'm not mad, that story was hilarious.

Cinders on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hugs, I want them

so that I may assimilate you and take over the world

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i will gladly provide clear examples of punk styles and metal styles for your enlightenment if you would like.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Since when? Screamo is loud, often times personal or otherwise emotionally charged, and heavily influenced by metal and/punk. Emo is usually quieter, though still personal or otherwise emotionally charged, and usually influenced by pop-punk, indy, or singer-songwriter traditions.

---
    James wrote: »

Hey! Hey! Listen!

Worked on the song at all?

Also, how ya doin'?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hugs, I want them

Tetsuo?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Please?
    I'll watch it.

You should check out some Anal Cunt.

I Just Saw the Gayest Guy on Earth is a classic.

Anal Cunt is pretty funny. They are grindcore/noise.

which is yes an offshoot of punk.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't see any similarities other than instruments being involved. They don't even use the same tuning. What would you say makes them similar?
    Downbeat accents, as far as I can tell identical instrumentation, harsh vocals... What the fuck is the "same tuning?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i will gladly provide clear examples of punk styles and metal styles for your enlightenment if you would like.

People here would rather be ignorant.

I've learned this the hard way :(

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Hugs, I want them

Tetsuo?
    fwoosh

over my head

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay the second video was better DUE even though the guy can't sing at all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Oh, I don't think you get mad about much of anything, at least not without good reason. You seem a bit more even tempered. But a few others in that thread seem to be getting at least annoyed by it.

---

Hakks - You can assimilate me any time you want to, sweet cheeks. :winky:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hugs, I want them

Tetsuo?
    fwoosh

over my head

From the movie Akira. The character Tetsuo acquires God-like powers but he loses control and he eventually turns into this gigantic mass of human flesh and it's gross.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Since when? Screamo is loud, often times personal or otherwise emotionally charged, and heavily influenced by metal and/punk. Emo is usually quieter, though still personal or otherwise emotionally charged, and usually influenced by pop-punk, indy, or singer-songwriter traditions.

And yet in one of them the singers throat sounds like it's being raped with barbed wire. If you can't hear the Strepsils CEO's rubbing their greedy hands together, then it's not screamo.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Oh, I don't think you get mad about much of anything, at least not without good reason. You seem a bit more even tempered. But a few others in that thread seem to be getting at least annoyed by it.

---

Hakks - You can assimilate me any time you want to, sweet cheeks. :winky:

Aw jeah

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From the movie Akira. The character Tetsuo acquires God-like powers but he loses control and he eventually turns into this gigantic mass of human flesh and it's gross.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were referencing.

Crazy Blood Squishies and bad dubbing

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hugs, I want them

Tetsuo?
    fwoosh

over my head

Oh, I think i saw the dub on TV once

I was kinda unimpressed

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    James wrote: »

Hey! Hey! Listen!

Worked on the song at all?

Also, how ya doin'?

Sorry to disappoint, but no. I've tried and can't really get anything I like :P I will keep working on it, though.

It is kind of weird for me to make music for lyrics, I usually do it the other way around.

Anyway, I'm doing alright though I have had blood tests because I may have low iron or a thyroid problem or something. I'll be finding out on tuesday. How're you?

James on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I was kinda unimpressed

:x

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

And yet in one of them the singers throat sounds like it's being raped with barbed wire. If you can't hear the Strepsils CEO's rubbing their greedy hands together, then it's not screamo.

Believe it or not there are other screamo bands. Like Circle Takes the Square (a personal favorite) or Portraits of Past.

And having a rough voice isn't exclusive to one genre or another. In fact, a rough voice can be found in all of the genres associated with both screamo and emo.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hugs, I want them

Tetsuo?
    fwoosh

over my head

I was kinda unimpressed

D:

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Downbeat accents, as far as I can tell identical instrumentation, harsh vocals... What the fuck is the "same tuning?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_tunings

a lot of hardcore type bands use drop c. power chords and shit.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Believe it or not there are other screamo bands. Like Circle Takes the Square (a personal favorite) or Portraits of Past.

And having a rough voice isn't exclusive to one genre or another. In fact, a rough voice can be found in all of the genres associated with both screamo and emo.

I know that there are other screamo bands. I was referencing the vids that DUE posted.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Anal cunt is some kind of like... joke band right? No one actually sings like that, right?

Also, in the process of trying to find one of their videos I think I saw a clip of someone committing suicide. Thanks than.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.