Options

(Recommend On) The Greatest Story

CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm looking for a PC or PS2 games with really fantastic stories. Really, I don't care how poor the gameplay is, as long as the story is well-written.

Some examples:

Planescape: Torment
The Longest Journey
Mother 3 [Japanese version]
Photopia

Games with poor stories:

Baldur's Gate Series
Final Fantasy X [English version]
Ico/SoC

EDIT: This is all IMHO to give you an idea of what my tastes are.

CygnusZ on

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MGS2

MGS3

Um...

Psh, I'm done, to be honest. Not nesasarly the best stories per say. But certainly told extremely well and with some of the greatest characters in videogame history.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Before anybody flips out and derails this thread with "omfg how can you say the Baldur's Gate games/Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/Final Fantasy X had a bad story"... just don't. Assuming the OP liked the storeis he liked and disliked the stories he disliked, recommend games or just don't post in this thread.

As for me? For the PS2, I think you might like the Shin Megami Tensei series or the Persona games. Looked into those at all? They're definitely JRPGs, but they're by and large less "space opera" grandeur than the Final Fantasy series. As for PC games, have you played Mass Effect? It might not be your thing, but a lot of us dig it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Persona 3 FES (which is just Persona 3 with bonus content for the same price) and Persona 4 for the PS2. Very odd but obscenely well written/translated games that make you care a lot about all your characters. Oh, and the gameplay is extremely good too, so there really is no downside.

I've also heard great things about The Witcher on the PC.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Full Throttle was short, but I loved the story and setting.

Anachronox didn't look so great even back when it was released, but it had an awesome setting and writing, the humour and creativity were off the scale.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've played the MGS games and Persona 3/4 back to back in July when P4 was released.
    Perhaps Persona 2 is worth considering though. I tried it for a bit, but got annoyed about not understanding how to unlock new Persona's.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd say go right to Dreamfall, the sequel to Longest Journey. Pc game, cheap on Steam, low requirements. Good blend of adventure and exploration. A worthy sequel with a fantastic story that continues on.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ReleRele Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you tried Arcanum? Seems like it's right up your alley if you liked Planescape. Plus it's a little older so there are no problems running on a PC that's not up to task for more intensive modern games.

Plus, and this is a little out there, there's always Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines. It's a bit of a hit or miss, but I really loved it.

Rele on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    IIRC Vagrant Story had a good story, and a pretty decent translation too. It's a PS1 game but still worth it if you're into your hardcore Sqaure RPG's. It was a bit of a departure for them on a number of levels, but if you can get into it, it works quite well.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I never understood the appeal of Full Throttle, but Sam N' Max is a fantastic game.
    Anachronox I played years ago and really enjoyed it.
    Arcanum I played maybe four or so years ago as well.. man that game was broken.
    Vagrant Story might be worth checking out if I can find it.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Evangir wrote: »

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Try out the Silent Hill games if you haven't already. They might be a bit hard to get into, but it's one of those few game franchises where deeper thematics and subtext are actually important to understanding the story. They don't tell you everything and rely heavily on interpretation, but they do so in a very congruous way, with a constant collaboration between visual and narrative design.

The Thief series is another great example of subtlety in storytelling. You see hints here and there of a greater purpose throughout the series, and everything comes together in a miasma of fantastic cutscenes and some of the best voice acting in the industry. Lots of personality and creativity has been poured into the overarching storyline and the world lore is very deliberately constructed. As far as I'm concerned, it's probably the only videogame franchise to ever pull off the whole "trilogy" concept correctly. Each game builds off the previous one, and it's all tied together extremely well. They look a bit dated, but the gameplay and level design hold up extremely well in all three games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Witcher has a great story and some real shitty writing (unless you speak Polish).

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MGS2

MGS3

Um...

Psh, I'm done, to be honest. Not nesasarly the best stories per say. But certainly told extremely well and with some of the greatest characters in videogame history.
    You are a madman.

MGS3 I can sort of see, several elements of it were clever, and it was basically a long Bond movie. MGS2 though, you'd be better off socking yourself repeatedly in the nuts.

I've heard people talk a lot about how good The Darkness's story was, but I wasn't really impressed by the gameplay so I haven't played through.

Persona I can heartily recommend, though. Really amazing games and story-lines.

Edit: Didn't they release a Special Edition of The Witcher? I assumed they cleaned up the translation too.

Also, can we just recommend some good stories and talk about why we like them? Unless you put a list of every game you've ever played, this is kind of difficult.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    The Witcher has a great story and some real shitty writing (unless you speak Polish).

Wait you know there is an English translation right?

In fact I enjoyed the writing. Better than 90 of the RPGs out there.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll warn you about Persona. I like the series a lot, but at the same time I just don't feel it's right to call them GOOD stories. Decent stories, with excellent character writing (moreso in 4 than 3) and presentation. They also tend to have at least one gaping plothole a piece, no idea how much that'll aggravate you.

Edit: Le whoops, didn't see you'd already played them.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Evangir wrote: »

Yeah, I've been playing through it recently and I'm going to have to agree with this.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GRIM FANDANGO!!!!

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll also mention Eternal Darkness, which does some awesome things with plot structure. Because of the large variety in characters, the main character ultimately suffers in terms of characterization, but it still does some very interesting and daring things with its collection of subplots. It also has some of the best voice acting ever, and features what is quite possibly my favorite villain in any game.

Except maybe SHODAN. Which is another series I can't recommend enough. System Shock 2, especially, is one of the few games where sound design is the most important element in the narrative. The only problem is that the game's ending is horrifically bad, but it maintains a very effective use of almost exclusively audio-based storytelling throughout. Very, very yes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you have a PS2, I'm assuming the door is open to suggest PS1 games.

Final Fantasy 9 and Breath of Fire 3.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JasonR66JasonR66 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Star Wars: Kotor
    Dues Ex Series
    Anachronox (you said gameplay wasn't that big of a deal...)
    Mass Effect
    Fallout 3 (can't speak on the earlier games because I never played them)

JasonR66 on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    GRIM FANDANGO!!!!

Beat me to it by this much.

W2 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GRIM FANDANGO!!!!

Seconded.

edit- I guess thirded. Goddamnit.

Also the Marathon Series. Which you can get for free! (there's a little bit of fiddling around since they're running via an open source version of the engine since they were originally mac games)

-SPI- on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is probably a bit out of left field but I'm going to go with Alpha Centauri.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would agree that the BG games had poor stories, when compared to the rest of storytelling in the arts. They were merely "decent" for games, in my opinion. The gameplay and characters were what made them awesome.

Anyway, not really the point of the thread. The later BioWare games had much better stories. Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire (one of BioWare's best stories), and Mass Effect.

You might also look into some old adventure games. Like Grim Fandango and some of the others already mentioned in this thread.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I would agree that the BG games had poor stories, when compared to the rest of storytelling in the arts. They were merely "decent" for games, in my opinion. The gameplay and characters were what made them awesome.

Anyway, not really the point of the thread. The later BioWare games had much better stories. Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire (one of BioWare's best stories), and Mass Effect.

The problem with KOTOR and Jade Empire is that if you've played the Baldurs Gate series, you'll recognize the pattern their stories follow right off the bat.

They really are quite repetitious in that respect.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If he discounted FFX, it's a pretty safe bet he won't appreciate 9. Different though they are, they're still rooted in the same kind of character development-story arcs.

I should assume that you've played Earthbound if you included Mother 3, but I'm just sayin'.

Deus Ex is really interesting and intelligent.

If you like Star Wars already, you'll definitely enjoy KoToR 1. If team Gizka ever finishes their project, you'll ABSOLUTELY love KoToR 2. In my opinion, 2 is the only game that has rivaled the depth of character/story that Planescape offered. It just wasn't finished.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alpha Centauri is one of my favorite games EVER. it's well written and has brilliant ganeplay. Why you think it has a good story is beyond me. Grim Fandango, I forgot that game existed. Never played it either, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If it helps, my favorite Lucasarts adventure games is Loom.

Generally speaking, translated games are written poorly. It's a great game, but the Witcher's translation is hilariously bad.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alpha Centauri is one of my favorite games EVER. it's well written and has brilliant ganeplay. Why you think it has a good story is beyond me.

I'd agree with him, actually. Maybe not so much in terms of story, as the game has no tangible plot other than what happens during any random game, but I do think it's one of the most interesting science fiction concepts in videogaming, and one of the only times I can remember where actual hard sci-fi was used, rather than Star Wars-lite.

I always wanted to pick up the novels. In fact, I think I'm going to go do that right now.

Edit: Okay, maybe not. They're pretty fucking expensive.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alpha Centauri is one of my favorite games EVER. it's well written and has brilliant ganeplay. Why you think it has a good story is beyond me. Grim Fandango, I forgot that game existed. Never played it either, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If it helps, my favorite Lucasarts adventure games is Loom.

Loom was an awesome game, but it has no more to do with Grim Fandango than any other LucasArts adventure game.

Anyway, Grim Fandango, for all the humour and style, I'd say was actually one of LucasArts most "mature" adventure games. Not in the sense that the storyline has gratuitous sex and violence or crap like that, or even that it's particularly deep and intellectual. It's more that it takes the core concepts that the game world is based around and visualises them really well, through the dialog, story, art design and camera angles, and especially the music. The background soundtrack is always really fitting.

subedii on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I'd say that in a format that really does not give you an easy way to tell a story, Alpha Centauri does a very good job with a couple of choice points and well-written random dialog, and makes you feel like you actually got a sort of birds-eye view of the history of a new colony. Civilization can't really ever do that, since we already know that you know, the Zulu never took over the world or built the Eiffel Tower.

Also, I think the team behind Persona's localization should localize every game ever made. It's the only Japanese-translated thing that includes jokes I actually laughed at.

Also, this is a bit out of left field, but Marathon had a... well, okay. It has a terrible story in-game, because it's an FPS from 1994. You basically teleport into an area, kill some things, and solve a puzzle or two. But if you check out Marathon's Story, they've got all the terminal text and some speculation. It actually ends up being a reasonably unique sci-fi setting, and I really think their treatment of AI is one of my favorites. It's not really coherent, though, it's more what happens when a bunch of college students who are really into sci-fi write down a list of ideas they think would be cool.

Then there is also "Marathon Infinity", which had a really odd branching mission-structure combined with a time-travel storyline mechanic that ended up being really weird and interesting to play. If you don't figure out how to get out, the game just loops forever.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    W2 wrote: »
    GRIM FANDANGO!!!!

Beat me to it by this much.

Dude. Get this.

Also, Fate Of Atlantis.

Also, The Dig.

And Psychonauts.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lucasart adventure games are always a safe bet.
    Grim Fandango - For all the reasons already stated in the thread.
    Monkey Island (series) - little things here and there that definitely made me chuckle.

The Quest Series: (police, space, kings etc) but in particular
    Quest for Glory (series). 1 and 2 have been remade with incredibly spiffy vga graphics.

Beyond Good and Evil has really likable characters and a fairly decent plot. Gameplay is great as an added bonus.

I've heard many people recommend Gabriel Knight and the Silent Hill 2.

To give you an idea of my tastes (to see if they are compatible with yours). Planescape was a plus. Earthbound was great. Final Fantasy X was one of my most hated games. Metal Gear Solid is about as exciting as reading anime fanfics. Mass effect was above average for video game plots. I also loved Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for gameplay AND story.

solsovly on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tribes: Vengeance
    Don't shoot me but Tribes: Vengeance has one of the best stories I've played in recent. If you can put up with the bugs and only go in for the single player, it's pretty damn good game. Plus it's one of those game's where it's subtitle really means something not just random mambo jumbo :P.

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (PC)
    Probably the greatest story I have ever played in a video game (ok maybe it doesn't trump Deus Ex but...). Great game play, good music, awesome voice acting. The game considering when it was released in my opinion has aged very well so there is no excuse not to play it!

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Deus Ex had a fucking brilliant story. One of the best I've ever played.

Morrowind had a great story, too, but it takes more effort to fully absorb it. A lot of it is in books and extra writing. But once you understand the entire backstory, it gets so epic it's ridiculous.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MGS2

MGS3

Um...

You are a madman.

MGS3 I can sort of see, several elements of it were clever, and it was basically a long Bond movie. MGS2 though, you'd be better off socking yourself repeatedly in the nuts.

Yeah, ok. I'll give you that about MGS2, but only towards the end of the game. And even then the story is still there and being told well. it's just a clusterfuck of ..... well. It's a clusterfuck.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked MGS2. All the way to the end. Fuck you guys.

Remington on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »

The problem with KOTOR and Jade Empire is that if you've played the Baldurs Gate series, you'll recognize the pattern their stories follow right off the bat.

They really are quite repetitious in that respect.

Only in the sense that they are epic RPGs about saving the land/world/universe. I thought the way their respective storylines actually played out was quite different, and the BG series was inferior in storytelling (though superior in some other aspects) to BioWare's later games.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know if you tried Neverwinter Nights 2. The original game's story is kind of meh, but you might really enjoy the first add-on, Mask of the Betrayer. I won't say it's as good as Torment, but it's still one of the best stories I've ever seen in a videogame.

Oh, and you might want to check out the Fallout games.

jot on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, fallout 1+2 are amazing, yeah.
    Third/fourthing the Lucasarts games, and MGS had, I guess a good story but it is just hilariously chock-full of retarded bosses.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jot wrote: »
    I don't know if you tried Neverwinter Nights 2. The original game's story is kind of meh, but you might really enjoy the first add-on, Mask of the Betrayer. I won't say it's as good as Torment, but it's still one of the best stories I've ever seen in a videogame.

Oh, and you might want to check out the Fallout games.

I second his recommendation for Neverwinter Nights 2. The original campaign is decent but not great, but Mask of the Betrayer is fantastic. Luckily, you don't actually have to play the OC to play and understand the story of MotB, though I would still play it first anyways, I happened to enjoy it but if you start it and its just not grabbing you, you can safely skip ahead to the expansion.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)