As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a good computer monitor

DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzleRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm an artist and also and avid gamer, and I'm looking for a new monitor.

It has to be a decent sized widescreen monitor.

Any suggestions?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
*TyCart*_banner.jpg
DeMoN on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Acer makes good widescreen monitors for cheap.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Envision G2219w1 is Maximum PC's top rated budget moniter, 22" for under $300.

Samsung also makes pretty good LCDs

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Depending on what kind of artist you are, you might want a CRT. If you need high contrast ratio, color clarity and depth, and for colors to not change depending on viewing angle, CRT is preferable. This is generally if you're a graphic designer. Sony's GDM line is good.

Now, if the work you are doing is not, or need not be, that sensitive, go for an LCD, obviously. I found a 22 inch Acer for $165:

http://www.antaresdigital.com/customer/product.php?productid=16780&cat=359&page=1

Tam on
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like NewEgg. They have 22 inch acers for a little over 150 I think.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But really, it depends a lot on the price range you are looking at

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've found LGs to be easy to calibrate (and even fairly accurate out of the box), they're relatively affordable, and they're pretty easy to find. Best Buy carries them in most regions, and they go on sale fairly often.

I would also add that while dead pixels are becoming less and less of an issue with every passing year, it's still probably worth buying a monitor locally just in case. The RMA process is a huge drag for monitors, believe me. :(

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm really looking for something around the range of 250$ to 300$.

What would be the best possible widescreen monitor I could get around that price range?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SamyazaSamyaza Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just chiming in with my personal experience. I recently bought a 24" BenQ G2400W, and I've had trouble with this particular monitor. It has HDMI in and 1:1 pixel mapping, which is great, but it conflicts with the XBOX 360, so you get video stuttering with 1:1 turned on, as well as no sound over HDMI. The other problem is that it doesn't work over DVI (through DVI in) with my 2.2GHz Macbook (apparently only this model of Macbook). If you aren't anticipating having either of those two devices as your inputs, it's a fine monitor, although I'm sure BenQ has newer, similar products out by now.

Samyaza on