As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a cheap/small case/mobo for my old PC

supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an old PC in a full-size case that I want to put in a Shuttle Case or something even smaller. The CPU is an Athlon 2800XP, the video card is a Radeon 9700 Pro (PCI!). Is there somewhere—other than eBay—that I can still order a new small case and mobo for this old equipment, or should I just keep it in the tower?

supabeast on

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Check computer stores near you, most have a small selection of cases that you can browse. Also check www.newegg.com as they have like.... everything. I found the case I wanted at a Fry's, but they were out, so I ended up ordering the same one off Newegg for a bit cheaper.

If you can't find the mobo you wan't off Newegg, try TigerDirect.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd be really careful about putting that equipment into a Shuttle case or similar. I played around with this PSU calculator, and I'm guessing those components would probably use 250W+. Many mini-PC cases come with 300W or even sub-300W power supplies, so you could be in for some real headaches if your system draws more power than the tiny PSU in a mini-PC case can supply.

The other issue you need to be concerned about is heat. If I recall correctly, those older Athlons tended to get pretty hot, not sure about what sort of heat the 9800 generates though. Shuttle-style cases are usually pretty bad for heat dissipation because they're so cramped inside. If you do put these components in a mini-PC cases, make sure to keep an eye on CPU and graphics chip temperatures under load.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks, I didn’t realize that NewEgg sells old hardware, too. Close this one!

supabeast on