As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead on PC with game controller

HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking ofDammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently purchased Left 4 Dead on PC. Even though I know a mouse and keyboard combination is best, all my friends play on the 360 and so I want to get good at using a gamepad. I use Xpadder to map my gamepad buttons to the default L4D commands because L4D's support for gamepads is wonky (right analog stick won't change the perspective left or right, only up and down).

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding the optimal Xpadder emulation speed to make the right analog stick feel right. It's either too responsive or not responsive enough. What settings should I be using? Or are there better solutions?

Hachface on

• Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah there should be an enable gamepad option in the options menu.

easiest option is to get a 360 controller, get the drivers for pc here

reset the computer and then plug and play

set your sensitivity settings then have fun

delphinus on
  • Options
    weijiesenweijiesen Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    ANY controller can be used when playing Left 4 Dead. You do NOT need to go out and buy a 360 controller and download any drivers. Just go to the config folder and open 360controller.cfg with notepad. Now change the values to match your buttons. It may take some trial and error. but not more than 10 minutes I'd say. You don't need to waste money or time getting a 360 controller especially if you have a PS3 controller or Logitech or Microsquash or whatever you like just keep using it. If you want to know how to make both analogs work properly i can help with that. I'm using a PS2 controller to play L4D and it works fine ah

weijiesen on
  • Options
    weijiesenweijiesen Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    ANY controller can be used when playing Left 4 Dead. You do NOT need to go out and buy a 360 controller and download any drivers. Just go to the config folder and open 360controller.cfg with notepad. Now change the values to match your buttons. It may take some trial and error. but not more than 10 minutes I'd say. You don't need to waste money or time getting a 360 controller especially if you have a PS3 controller or Logitech or Microsquash or whatever you like just keep using it. If you want to know how to make both analogs work properly i can help with that. I'm using a PS2 controller to play L4D and it works fine ah

you can set the Z AXIS and turn autoaim off therefore you have complete control of the aiming. You can set the analog sticks so that one walks and the other strafs. you dont need to set the autoaim off because it sucks and doesnt work well anyway but if you insist just open the console and type sk_autoaim_mode 0 ok? dont forget after you've changed your controller settings in notepad of that 360controller.cfg that in the game you need to manually load it in the console just type exec 360controller.cfg ok? its quite easy really i dont understand why EVERYONE keeps "insisting" that you "need" an xbox360 controller when really you dont. come on people try to keep up has NO ONE heard of "scripting" sheeeesh

weijiesen on
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know your friends play L4D on the 360, but intentionally handicapping yourself on the PC seems silly.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, screw the gamepad. Stick with the mouse and keyboard and laugh at them.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apogee wrote: »
    Yeah, screw the gamepad. Stick with the mouse and keyboard and laugh at them.

This works until I go over to with them, and they laugh at me because I suck with the gamepad.

Hachface on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    weijiesen wrote: »
    ANY controller can be used when playing Left 4 Dead.

This is irrelevant, he's trying to get better with the 360 controller specifically.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png