As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

File/Partition Recovery

BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So! A friend got a new computer from her brother but it was infested with viruses and does not work.
Could I use this windows sp2 disk and make it work?
Well sure I can - just wipe everything and start over?
Yep!

Ok here goes....and reformatting...and installing...and done!

"Where are all the files?"
D:

So I have been trying out a bunch of file recovery-types software but they aren't very good - what does PA recommend? Additionally, any suggestions on a professional recovery service?

CD World Tour status:
Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
BlueBlue on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Your chances of recovering are slim. Had the hard drive just failed, maybe. But you've overwritten a bunch of stuff on the disk by reinstalling Windows. Professional services are expensive, thousands of dollars expensive, with no guarantee of ever working.. So unless what got deleted was very, very important, it's not going to be worth it to try.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My fears confirmed!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used a freeware program called FileStalker32, I was able to recover some files, but most files were broken. Also, anything above 10mb is surely destroyed.

The other bad thing is that it seemingly recovered a ton of files, but trying to open them yielded in CRC errors.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    So! A friend got a new computer from her brother but it was infested with viruses and does not work.
    Could I use this windows sp2 disk and make it work?
    Well sure I can - just wipe everything and start over?
    Yep!

Ok here goes....and reformatting...and installing...and done!

"Where are all the files?"
    D:

So I have been trying out a bunch of file recovery-types software but they aren't very good - what does PA recommend? Additionally, any suggestions on a professional recovery service?

Try this. I haven't used it, but Lifehacker is usually a pretty good source.

http://lifehacker.com/5157818/diskdigger-recovers-deleted-files

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    L*2*G*X on