As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: The Abandoning (Set Never)

MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
Dark_Messiah_of_Might_and_Magic_pc.jpg

Lets Play, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic!
Hey guys. Mifio here. None of you probably know me. I've lurked the forums a few times. And I'm a major fan of Helloweens vids. He inspired me to make my own Lets Play. So after coughing up 35 dollars of my own money to buy Fraps. I found a game I wanted to do.

and thats where I am now.

The game I am doing is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Here is the description, (off wikipedia of course :P)

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, additionally subtitled Elements on Xbox 360, is a first-person action game developed by Arkane Studios and Floodgate Entertainment. Kuju Entertainment developed the multiplayer mode. The player controls Sareth, the apprentice of the wizard Phenrig, after he is sent to the city of Stonehelm to accompany an expedition trying to retrieve a powerful artifact known as "The Skull of Shadows."

Hopefully I won't be flamed out of existence. :)

Videos

The videos will be in youtube format.
And now, the first video

Set 1
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Who are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZv6E19zlQ

Excuse the bad quality folks. I'm still working out kinks on how to use fraps and edit.

Set 2
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: They have a Cave troll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMPOpzhzn4

I tried to address the issues of both the fuzziness and my not talking enough/loud enough, I also went into the stealth path a bit because its almost unanimous that I go into it.

Set 3
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Stonehelm Nights
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Stonehelm Nights. Part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TBdP_BWhgQ

Stonehelm Nights. Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhvzWhJX2k

Set 4
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: See Ghoul Run
Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qO57LkuKNM

the Fuzzy quality is back i'm afraid, but it wouldn't upload on high quality. Left it on all night, woke up in the morning, and it was still unable to upload. Gonna try and fix that yet again. At least you can hear my voice. :\

Part 2 of See Ghoul Run

Part 3

Set 5
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Scared Shipless

Part 1
Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Set 6
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Arachnophobia Sucks

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Set 7
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Oh Shi-!

Part 1
Part 2

Set 8
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Buzzing Glow Sticks

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Set 9
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Catacombs

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

At the time of this post, the video is still processing, but here is the link anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31QrA3fIGBc

Set 10
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: The Skull of Shadows

Set 11
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Cyclops Killer, Excstasy.

Part 1
Set 12
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Giant Tapeworm of Death.

part 1
part 2

Set 13
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Smelly Labyrinth of Death

part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6
set 14
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Its a Barrel of Ghouls

part 1
part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Set 15
Lets Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Shes Dead!

part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Enjoy :)

steam_sig.png
Mifio on

• Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Link no worky. Never mind.

Also, I wonder where you ah-hem, acquired this fine game. :winky:

Just watched it, I liked it. I laughed as you shot fire arrows into the flaming ghoul.

Anyway, it inspired me to install my copy to see if my computer can handle it.

Edit: No I was referring to a certain Portugal event. Resulting in many new owners(including myself) of DM.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bought it back when it was 60 bucks at gamespot. If your wondering about the quality. That is my fault for not knowing how to work it. I'm hoping to get that fixed in the next video.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, how are you going to play Sareth? Are you going for a specific path or will the readers get to vote whether you should go for a warrior, thief or mage playthrough?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He says we get to decide in the video.

The first time I meet a character that they specifically dont say "DO NOT KILL", I kill them and I fail. It was disappointing. I do not even want to attempt the hardest difficulty, hard is just stupid at times.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, thats a freaky coincidence - I just started re-installing this game off steam just 10 minutes before you posted this.

I Bought the game practically on the day it came out after playing the demo to death. Unfortunately the full game had all sorts of issues with my PC (demo ran flawlessly on the other hand) and I never finished it.

Got a new PC now, so I'm gonna give it another shot :)

Spam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, I thought I would wait for some responses. And I did.
    The first things first, you will decide how to play. Yes. Now, first question.

What do you want me to be, I can be one of 3 things. A pure mage, pure warrior, or Pure stealth/ranged. I can also multi tier. (Jack of all trades, master of none sorta thing)

Decide those and that opens up a few more things.

Edit: to Xtarath, Nope, bought mine in the store when it came out after playing the demo like 50 times.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pure stealth/ranged! Shoot them all up with arrows and stab anyone who gets close enough to complain!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I vote stealth, as it seems plausible when not on Hard.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I tried playing the first level on hard. I got out with exactly 1 hp left, and that was just me killing the people I had too. But yeh.

Oh, also, I'm balls at stealth. So it'll mostly be me shooting people if you choose that path. I've never been good at stealth games, when I play Splinter Cell I run around shooting people and going "OH SHI-" every 5 seconds because i'm seen.

However, voting will end probably tomorrow. I'll get another video posted later as well. i'll just save the skill points.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stealth + mild magic (charm/fire trap/fireball/heal).

Also, I insist you kick badguys off high places, set up cool physic based traps using Fire Trap and abuse the shit out of stealth + charm.

This game is incredible.

Edit: what do you mean you're bad at stealth? always walk everywhere, buy the stealth talents first, stay in the shadows and wear thief armor & daggers. The game is a fuckload harder if you don't use stealth & magic, just warning you.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Another vote for stealth with a little magic. Oh, and I don't know if it's just me, but a few times in the video I have a hard time hearing what you're saying over the in-game sound.

Overall though, good first vid... I passed over this game when it came out but this vid has sparked my interest.

datac0re on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yea, beaten it like 8 times XD. So far, the vote is stealth. And if you say stealth. I will do my best XD

And yes the game is incredible.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do a mage character with a wee bit o stealth - I love the spell effects in this game. Are there any mods out that add new spells and stuff?
    Mifio wrote: »
    Nope, bought mine in the store when it came out after playing the demo like 50 times.

I think everyone played the demo 50 times - the first person melee combat and physics were really impressive at the time, and when folk started modding in the locked spells and higher level abilities you could replay the demo constantly just to see how many different ways you could kill those orcs :D

I dunno how, but it just wasn't the same when the full game finally came out. :|

Spam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a damn shame that this game never got more love. I would have loved to see an expansion or even better, a fullblown 1st person RPG with the combat from Dark Messiah.

Oh, I vote for a Warrior playthrough with some magic added to the mix.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The combat in this game looks great. I want to see more melee stuff and maybe some spells.

Go warrior.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One thing, about the whole thing the video is set up. Yep, it was my very first video of anything. This was actually more of a test to see if people would respond to and like it. Theres quite a few things I learned after posting and re watching it. The mic was way to far from my mouth was one thing. I project my voice, but i also had both my speaks right next to the mic so you guys could hear the in game voice.

Also, the I will definitely work hard on improving the quality. Regardless of if i was funny, stupid, whatever. Nobody wants to watch a fuzzy video.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I bought this game sealed at Goodwill for 5 bucks, best deal.

donhonk on
  • Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got this from steam the day it came out. Reinstalled it over christmas and tried playing on hardcore difficulty. It is really hard, resulting in alot of quickloading. Made it to the island and spent a ridiculous amount of time getting halfway through the waves of orcs in that first area before I found something slightly less masochistic to do.

StuffGuy on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love this game to death. You guys know that part in the demo with the orcs, and your in that little building on the cliffs? I have a save point in that area in the full game, where I spawn in orcs and the orc leader and just have them fight all the time (love the charm spell). The AI does some pretty hillarious things with the physics objects in this area (kicking eachother into stacks of barrels, off cliffs, into spike traps or campfires, etc).

That being said, I always go stealth with some magic, so that's what I would recomend. Fighting multiple enemies is difficult at best, so singling dudes out and taking them down quiet-like seems to be the best option. Get charm. Charm. It's the best (the ice spell is fun too, for those comical trip-dudes-into-shit gags).

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Alright, votes so far are 4 Stealths with magic, (mostly charm), one mage with a bit of stealth, and one pure warrior. Come on people :P

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    I love this game to death. You guys know that part in the demo with the orcs, and your in that little building on the cliffs? I have a save point in that area in the full game, where I spawn in orcs and the orc leader and just have them fight all the time (love the charm spell). The AI does some pretty hillarious things with the physics objects in this area (kicking eachother into stacks of barrels, off cliffs, into spike traps or campfires, etc).

That being said, I always go stealth with some magic, so that's what I would recomend. Fighting multiple enemies is difficult at best, so singling dudes out and taking them down quiet-like seems to be the best option. Get charm. Charm. It's the best (the ice spell is fun too, for those comical trip-dudes-into-shit gags).

This man is wise.

But was I the only one that used Fire Trap to rocket badguys into shit I'd set up beforehand causing a cascade of hilarity and pain? Cause I did that a lot. I almost felt sorry for the orcs.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, votes so far are 4 Stealths with magic, (mostly charm), one mage with a bit of stealth, and one pure warrior. Come on people :P

I vote for Witchalok.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

I vote for Witchalok.
    Oh man this reminds me, doesn't the warrior tree have a double adrenaline bar skill? It might be worth it to do warrior/magic just for that.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I vote for Witchalok.
    Oh man this reminds me, doesn't the warrior tree have a double adrenaline bar skill? It might be worth it to do warrior/magic just for that.

Yes it does. But its pretty far in I think. Actually. I think its one of the last few skills.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I vote for Witchalok.

Yes it does. But its pretty far in I think. Actually. I think its one of the last few skills.
    It is, and if I recall correctly it's pretty expensive and also have several prerequisites.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I vote for Witchalok.

That thing only costs like one skill point or something, you can pick it up whenever.

edit: oops I was thinking stamina. Yeah the Adrenaline thing is hard to get.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I vote for Witchalok.

That thing only costs like one skill point or something, you can pick it up whenever.
    That's the Extra Stamina skill you are thinking about, not the double adrenaline skill.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That was really good. I enjoyed that :D

The game looks fun. The combat reminds me of Oblivion some what.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been wanting to play this game for awhile. It's the next one that I plan on playing actually. The combat looks pretty awesome. I wish Oblivion was like that.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Holy Crap, Helloween. Holy crap.
    Thats all I have to say.
    edit: to anyone that wants to know, Dark Messiah is $9.99 on steam. Thats pretty cheap, i'd say pick it up.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I vote for Witchalok.

You can't run 2 trees fully, there aren't enough points. Don't go stealth unless you go full stealth since the final stealth skill is the one that does 90% of the work. Magic you can pick at since some super useful spells are pretty low on the tree (heal). The warrior tree is decent but honestly: between stealth kills, charm and sniping things with spells you'll never (never) be fighting anything in a fair and straightforward way.

If you play the Stealth + Magic thing right your weapon damage/crit rate doesn't count for shit.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I call at least getting charm. It's just so very hilarious. I just finished playing this (as you can see below) and I really enjoyed it. I say go all the way evil, kicking stuff into spikes and abysses as much as you can :D

Hey, since this is a source game, isn't it possible to record it directly through source, making it extremely high quality? lemme see if I can find the guide for it.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thats all I have to say.
    edit: to anyone that wants to know, Dark Messiah is $9.99 on steam. Thats pretty cheap, i'd say pick it up.

What? Oblivions not that bad :P

Ok the combat is slighty iffy. Bah.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've changed my mind, go full stealth with magic added to the mix. Liberal use of stealth, firetrap and charm is expected.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Helloween wrote: »
    Thats all I have to say.

No, the holy crap was for OMG HELLOWEEN. HOLY CRAP.
    Not holy crap, oblivion, holy crap.
    Mifio

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thats all I have to say.

You've never played DMoMM? dude. It's the posterchild for fucking amazing first person melee combat. Also: it uses physics in a genuinely interesting and non-cheesy way to enhance combat and make it very very dynamic.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Thats all I have to say.

You've never played DMoMM? dude. It's the posterchild for fucking amazing first person melee combat. Also: it uses physics in a genuinely interesting and non-cheesy way to enhance combat and make it very very dynamic.
    I'm gonna agree with this dude. Best first person melee combat, and genuinely awesome physics interaction. Everyone should at least pick up the demo :P

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Thats all I have to say.

I saw from the video. It does look simply awesome with that combat. I may have to sink some moolah into this.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay all I could find was this:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Demo_Recording_Tools

I think someone on the forum (I think it was randomengy) wrote a better script, that would just instantly create a high-quality avi file, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, that link could help you with the quality.

Okay I found it. I've never tried it though, so I dunno if it will work.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The way the physics works, as you may have seen in my fuzzy video, is that you can kick people into things, you can set arrows on fire. Later on, there are jars of oil you can throw onto things (and people) and set those on fire. Theres traps, like the spikey walls, in which you can kick people into them to get insta kills.

And Ampix. I'll check it out. Thanks :)

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png