As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Revolution for cats (flea/worm control)

NibbleNibble Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I went to the store looking for Advantage, and then I saw this. Apparently, in addition to fleas, it also gets rid of a variety of worms, which is also a problem for my cat.

Has anyone tried using it before? How well does it work?

sig.php?id=178
Nibble on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's the only things I've been using for flea and heartworm control for my 6-7 year old cat. She's never tested positive for heartworms (or other parasites).

Works as well as Frontline (which I use for my dog) for flea control in that it largely keeps fleas in check, but when it's real bad flea season (like last year) everyone got fleas and had to up the dosage cycle to every 3 weeks to keep them in check.

Djeet on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sounds good! Fortunately my cat stays indoors in a carpet-free environment, and he only got fleas & worms after I allowed a stray kitten to stay with us for a while, so I'm hoping I that 6 months should be enough to take care of the problem.

I'm assuming that 3 months is not enough, since flea eggs can apparently hatch after 140 days (!)...

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If she has a current infestation, the quickest way to end it would be to dose her with Capstar and then Frontline/Advantage/Revolution (just one, not all 3); for a severe infestation you might dose her again with Capstar after 2 weeks (it only kills adult fleas, but is fast and pretty effective). Theoretically I suppose a flea egg could hatch after 4 months, but unless it's a major infestation and there's other places besides the cat for the fleas to hang out, I'd be surprised if you couldn't break the life cycle in 6-8 weeks with these drugs.

Also FYI, my cat's also an indoor only cat, but she comes into regular contact with an indoor/outdoor cat and dog which was probably the vector for her flea infestation. My indoor/outdoor pets also get regular treatments of anti-parasitics, but last season was pretty bad (and this season given the mild winter we had, also looks to be bad for fleas).

Djeet on