As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Universe

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Graphic Violence
Wildcat wrote: »
Douglas. Sell me on Scott Pilgrim.
WHO THE HELL IS SCOTT PILGRIM AND WHY THE HELL SHOULD I CARE?

Scott Pilgrim is a 23-year-old guy living in the big city with his gay roommate, just trying to make his way in this crazy world.

Scott Pilgrim likes the new girl in town, Ramona Flowers, but to win her heart, he has to defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends. Wait, what?

Scott Pilgrim is named after a song by the late great 90's all-girl Canadian indie rock band, Plumtree.

Scott Pilgrim is a critically acclaimed, award-winning series of graphic novels by Canadian cartoonist Bryan Lee O'Malley. VOLUME 5 is released FEBRUARY 2009. There will be six volumes in all. They are published by Oni Press and released approximately once per year. (Ages 13 and up!)

Scott Pilgrim is a goofy thing. It is hard to pin down exactly what it is. It is a slice of life thing, with really awesome cartooning and dialog and everything. It is influenced by old school video games like River City Ransom, but you don't have to be a "gamer" to love Scott Pilgrim.

Check out the previews, start at the first one, duh. Volume 1 is quite a bit different, rougher and the tone is a little different from the rest of the books in my opinion. So check out the previews there. You can actually read the Free Comic Book Day Scott Pilgrim without really spoilering anything. It gives a pretty good glimpse of what Scott Pilgrim is like.

So Scott Pilgrim vol 5 came out last week. Scott Pilgrim is pretty much my favorite comic series ever. It is fun and goofy and serious and great. Buy from Oni directly, or get it off of Amazon!

3071829184f05008b883ij2.jpg

There are also Scott Pilgrim Cubee-thingee's-- here and here. I am thinking about trying to make one later today.

Seriously, I spoil the whole freaking book, think about what you are doing!
It starts off with Scott vowing to be the most awesome 24 year old in the world, all optimistic and smiling. Kim and Scott and Ramona hanging out was cool, but everything after that is rough stuff. And then terrible shit starts happening.

His friends are in bad shape-- Knives is somehow even more pathetic, Julie Powers is a bitch with 0 redeeming features and breaks up with Stephen Stills again (although it seems like he is done with her), Young Neil is some kind of depressio asshole... stoned Young Neil was the saddest thing. The circle of friends is drifting apart, and it really feels like there will not be a renewal of their circle.

Ramona reveals she doesn't care about Sex Bob-omb, which devastates Scott and SHE LEAVES! Scott really let her down with the revelation from Knives about how he dated both of them for a while. That was a pretty dick move. Maybe Ramona had put Scott on a pedestal.

It was interesting how the fights were not really the focus at all in this volume. The twins were cool, using their robots to decide if Scott was worth their time. The actual Scott vs Twins fight could have been longer and cooler I though. He should stunned them somehow before the double muay thai knee to the face thing. Ramona vs Knives rematch was more sad and brutal than fun and awesome.

I think Kim moved away-- :( -- because she was falling for Scott. Am I way off?

Scott after Ramona leaves was so sad. Especially him locking himself out and Gideon getting away. All trying to catch him in the yard for days. So sad.

Seeings his parents and his brother and getting a new place... ended on something more positive.

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Wildcat on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bought it the day it came out, quite good, quite different
    I wouldn't say Kim left because she was falling for him, she's always dug him, but there just wasn't anything there for her anymore.

I liked how the twins were almost an afterthought in the book. The book was really about everything around Scott changing and none of it being held together. I can't wait to see the sixth book as I expect a lot to be brought back together.

Speculative spoilers for the last book:
    I've thought for a while that Gideon is actually the dude Scott saved Kim from in that flashback to when they were younger and all this is about him getting revenge on Scott for that. How much Ramona is directly involved in the plan I'm not sure about but I think her leaving is because she really does care for Scott.

I really liked Scott's line right before Ramona took off, "People can change, Ramona" because I think that is what it comes down to, she doesn't think she can change.

Also, I think Nega-Scott is the part of Scott that could become an evil ex-boyfriend and will probably be the last thing he has to deal with.

Who he ends up with, I'm not sure at this point. Since I think it's all about Kim, I put about 50/50 on it being Kim or Ramona in the end. A lot of that depends on how deeply Ramona is a part of it.

Those are my thoughts, some might be wildly off, others might be good, who knows.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Check out the preview links in the updated OP. :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ramona is kind of a terrible, selfish person

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Please elaborate. Scott is also kind of a selfish goofball slacker asshole.
    Scott saying something like "people can change, Ramona" right before she leaves him was a tugger of the old heart strings.

Kim pretending to get a text from Ramona during the Twins fight to encourage Scott was the sweetest thing in the whole world.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Is there only one book left? For some reason I thought it was supposed to run 7 volumes.

DMAC on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DMAC wrote: »
    Is there only one book left? For some reason I thought it was supposed to run 7 volumes.

It's always been six. People always kind of assumed it was seven because of the seven ex-boyfriends, but, well, yeah.

Furu on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awesome book, awesome series.
    I day one'd this book and read it twice in about an hour.
    It may not be as good as some of the others but damn was it emotional
    I swear if Ramona and Scott don't get back together I'm going to kill myself. As much as I loved the new focus on Kim I think it was a little too late in coming. Also Backstreet Boys lol

I read it too fast, and now I'm probably going to have to wait a really long time for the last one :(

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    MBirkhoferMBirkhofer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Everyone should read these books.
    That is all there is to it.

MBirkhofer on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just got this today.

o_O D::|

I can't wait to see how this ends.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Scott saying something like "people can change, Ramona" right before she leaves him was a tugger of the old heart strings.

Kim pretending to get a text from Ramona during the Twins fight to encourage Scott was the sweetest thing in the whole world.
    Well she refused to tell Scott anything that may help him out at all. Or really tell him anything. She doesn't seem to like him very much either. Very wishy washy on the whole relationship.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just bought all 5 volumes. Considering that I am getting laid off at the end of the month, I am not sure it was a wise decision. :|

muninn on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Prediction for the final book:
    With all of the evil ex-boyfriends gone, Gideon corrupts Scott's exes into evil ex-girlfriends.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well she refused to tell Scott anything that may help him out at all. Or really tell him anything. She doesn't seem to like him very much either. Very wishy washy on the whole relationship.
    Scott seems to value their relationship more than Ramona, but that could just be their personalities or something. Scott is much more spastic and expressive and emotional than just about everyone else in the book. I would not be surprised if Scott winds up without Ramona at the end though.

I'm really sad about Kim leaving.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So Scott Pilgrim movie news, kind of. Rumors have put Jason Schwartzman as the man to play Gideon in the movie. It helps that today on Edgar Wright's Myspace, where he post a picture every day, usually stuff from Scott Pilgrim lately, there is a picture of what people think is Jason.

Everything I've seen about the movie is making me excited for it so far.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, for sure, I'm really pumped for the movie.

Also, after you've read Volume 5, go back and read 3 if you haven't done so recently, especially like 10 pages from the end.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys, I need to know something: will my wife like Scott Pilgrim? For reference, the comics she likes are:

Fables
    Y The Last Man
    Girls
    The Walking Dead
    MegaTokyo
    Black Panther

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Chances are high.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd say there is a good chance. If she's a little geeky she definitely will as it tells a good story with a lot of geeky icing on it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Scott seems to value their relationship more than Ramona, but that could just be their personalities or something. Scott is much more spastic and expressive and emotional than just about everyone else in the book. I would not be surprised if Scott winds up without Ramona at the end though.

I'm really sad about Kim leaving.
    Neither Scott or Ramona are brilliant people, just because Ramona is a bit of a self-centered bitch doesn't mean that that Scott isn't a self-absorbed arsehole. And yeah just :( about Kim leaving

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm going to get this today. I been meaning to pick it up, and this thread reminded me of it.

So do I have to pick up one book at a time, or is there a collection of the ones out right now?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Each book kind of is a collection, there's just no uncollected single issues.
    The rate has been one book per year. So one to go.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quite honestly, I nearly shed a tear at the whole 'fake' texting scene, that cemented me wanting to see Kim and Scott hook up. Especially after the commentary on Kim by the twins, " You've been here the entire time." And was anyone else amused by the X-Men references, that Ramona was COMPLETELY disinterested in.

I read the whole thing in an hour... and now I am left waiting for volume 6. I'm sure it'll be out before the movie, but I may kill myself if I have to wait another year. I'll be all emo like Young Neil, I swear.

ALSO, is that Knives' best friend that Neil is now dating? Or does she just look familiar for no reason at all....

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Each book kind of is a collection, there's just no uncollected single issues.
    The rate has been one book per year. So one to go.

Actually, there are two uncollected issues. One was from Free Comic Book 2006, the other was an exclusive Color Scott Pilgrim thing. FCBD2006 might be in that color thing, not sure. But none of those really matter, they are side stories that do nothing to the plot.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, I read volume 5 on the day it came out, and I thought that it was ok, but not as good as the previous ones.

So I just reread all 5 volumes back to back, and it worked a lot better. The 16 month layoff between 4 and 5 hurt things, for me. I hope that the last one comes out a little more quickly.

Anyway, the series as a whole: (still) so good! I heart Wallace and Kim most of all. Though Kim wouldn't like me, since she doesn't like anyone.

Next on the to-reread-in-large-chunks list: Promethea, and Morrison's Batman.

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    O'Malley does pretty much the whole thing. The "delay" is certainly worth it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So my girlfriend and I are completely hooked on this after picking it up at the local library.. Can anybody recommend something that might be in a similar vein?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    So my girlfriend and I are completely hooked on this after picking it up at the local library.. Can anybody recommend something that might be in a similar vein?
    Try North World, which is available in print as well. It has that kind of slacker-having-surreal-adventures thing going on.

You can also try Sidescrollers, which I wasn't a fan of, but was trying really, really hard to be a pseudo Scott Pilgrim.

Munch on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks! Will do.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Guys, I need to know something: will my wife like Scott Pilgrim? For reference, the comics she likes are:

Fables
    Y The Last Man
    Girls
    The Walking Dead
    MegaTokyo
    Black Panther

I'd say in all probability yes.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    King City is a black and white magical realism (well, not really realistic at all, more like down to earth modern fantasy) comic. It has the same sense of fun as Scott Pilgrim, but that is about all of the similarities. Worth checking out though.

DouglasDanger on