Options

Clear, viscous liquid.

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a strange request. I am in a need of about 1L of a clear and viscous, colorless liquid for a little project of mine. Anyone knows of a recipie, or a cheap way of purchasing such a substance?

muninn on

• Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How viscous are we talking here?

Would Mineral Oil do the trick?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    glycerin?

Rook on
  • Options
    NatsusNatsus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can use corn syrup. Koreans use it a lot in their dishes. You can purchase it at any asian grocery store. Looks kind of like this.

http://www.maangchi.com/ingredients/corn-syrup

It's clear, colorless and thick like syrup..

Natsus on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Water is viscous. I mean, any liquid is.

Assuming you mean "thick," the cheap way to get a thick syrup is corn syrup. Died dark red, it's what's commonly used as blood in movies.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Natsus wrote: »
    You can use corn syrup. Koreans use it a lot in their dishes. You can purchase it at any asian grocery store. Looks kind of like this.

http://www.maangchi.com/ingredients/corn-syrup

It's clear, colorless and thick like syrup..

You can also buy corn syrup at pretty much any grocery store -- doesn't have to be asian. It's usually in either the baking section, or next to like maple syrup.

Daenris on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some corn syrup has a slightly yellow hue to it. Some is way stickier then others too.
    I'm sorry I can't recommend any brands.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    just keep dissolving sugar in boiling water until it can't take any more (2-3 parts sugar:1 part water), then let it cool.

Doc on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Corn syrup.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    just keep dissolving sugar in boiling water until it can't take any more (2-3 parts sugar:1 part water), then let it cool.

just don't add any more sugar to it

something cool will happen

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »

so cool

Doc on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

so cool

Don't leave me hanging here, I've forgotten most general chem, but I want to know! Sounds endotherm....I mean, cool. 8-)

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    CrystalMethodistCrystalMethodist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    silicone oil.

you can pick it up at any hobby shop, it's a *really* common lubricant for plastics and sometimes rubber because WD-40 will melt them. it's completely clear, cheap, and you can even get it in different viscosities.

get a high-viscosity one or "summer" oil (summer because the heat tends to make liquids run more freely, so it's higher viscosity at room temperature).

CrystalMethodist on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    J-lube is cheap, you get a small bottle of powder for about $10-20, turns into 8 gallons of extremely viscous clear lubricant.

Sold as a vetrinary lubricant, but it's found its way into uh... other uses.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    how about you tell us what you're up to?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    This is the same as saying "Every substance is hot. Relative to 0K, I mean." That is, it's absolutely meaningless.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    This is the same as saying "Every substance is hot. Relative to 0K, I mean." That is, it's absolutely meaningless.

Yes, in the same way that if the OP had asked "I'm looking for something that's a color." Which is essentially what he asked for. "I'm looking for a clear liquid that flows." He has yet to clarify, though.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I am trying to drop objects through said liquid, and slow these object's fall enough to take a series of photographs. Thanks for all your help :)
    Sugar water doesnt seem viscous enough, but I might just have to boil it longer. I will try other suggestions.

And eggy-toast, from Webster's dictionary:

vis-cous

–adjective
    1. of a glutinous nature or consistency; sticky; thick; adhesive.

muninn on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    thats the layman version of viscous. in a more scientific frame it's just one property of many in liquids and applies to all of them in varrying degrees. wouldnt it be easier to just take a series of high speed pictures?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Doesn't salt water generate more buoyancy than sugar water? Then again - if the water is saturated it might not matter.

I don't remember too much from Chemistry aside from balancing formulas.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes viscosity applies to all liquids. However when you couple the adjective with the actual term, they generally want a liquid with a higher viscosity than your standard H20.

Salt water adds buoyancy rather than viscosity. Sugar water that's been sufficiently cooled to create a syrup is the best you'll probably get home-made. Silicone liquid is the next best bet. The simplest and probably less intensive to set up is probably a high speed shot. Liquid is probably not something you should be taking photos of if you want it to look like it's falling through the air.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wenchkilla wrote: »

so cool

Don't leave me hanging here, I've forgotten most general chem, but I want to know! Sounds endotherm....I mean, cool. 8-)

Why would we ruin the surprise when you can try it at home

It's Science!

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wenchkilla wrote: »

so cool

Why would we ruin the surprise when you can try it at home

It's Science!

I'll ruin the surprise. The dissolved sugar will crystallize around the newly-introduced seed crystals. Unfortunately, dropping in anything can do the same thing... those sugar molecules tend to get pretty desperate to join around, well, anything. However, there is an easy way to stop this from happening: add some corn syrup to the mix. Corn syrup is mostly glucose, a different structure than table sugar, sucrose. When the sucrose tries to crystallize, the glucose will get in the microcrystals and prevent them from growing.

If you're going to go with sugar water, keep a thermometer handy. As the relative amount of sugar goes up, the boiling point of the substance will increase. Candy-makers judge sugar density by temperature, and so can you. You should also be very careful though... candy can get upwards of 350-400 Farenheit, and it's very sticky, so you can get very seriously burned.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    also when you make this simple sugar syrup if you add crushed mint leaves to it and refrigerate it overnight you make make some bad ass mint juleps the next day.

2 parts bourbon - 1 part mint syrup
    severed over ice.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could use a weak mix of gelitin and water, you can buy packets of the stuff or sheets and to make it like slime and not Jello just up the water to geliten ratio.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That instant powdered dietary fibre stuff you're meant ot mix with water and drink. It makes the water very viscous, and is clear. And if you add enough, it becomes gelatinous.

Don't try drinking it, though, it's impossible to stomach. D:

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That instant powdered dietary fibre stuff you're meant ot mix with water and drink. It makes the water very viscous, and is clear. And if you add enough, it becomes gelatinous.

Don't try drinking it, though, it's impossible to stomach. D:

If you do, make sure you have at least three guys chanting your name.

Doc on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    thats the layman version of viscous. in a more scientific frame it's just one property of many in liquids and applies to all of them in varrying degrees. wouldnt it be easier to just take a series of high speed pictures?

Yes but everyone knew what he meant. H&A isn't the right forum to be annoyingly pedantic in.

Come to think of it, I don't think we do have a forum where pedantry is appreciated.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Egg whites

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Yes but everyone knew what he meant. H&A isn't the right forum to be annoyingly pedantic in.

Come to think of it, I don't think we do have a forum where pedantry is appreciated.

its called D&D, but i was just clarifying why an earlier poster was talking about all liquids being viscous. and i made the suggestion that he would be better off using high speed photography which falls under advice and contributes to the thread unlike your post.

so nyah.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    shubhangshubhang Registered User new member
    just use transparent slime

if any one has better idea pls post because i also need it

This discussion has been closed.