Options

[WoW] Hunters: Misdirection kills, just ask that priest that mouthed off at me

ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Hunters:
We are a unique class in the game, almost defying standard classification, as we are a Ranged Dps but we model with the majority of Melee mechanics.

More to come when the work filter isn't hating me.
Complements of Skeith:
Skeith wrote:
catapetflowchart.jpg

399831.jpg
ExistentialSoundandFury on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So bullocks to not getting the ammo change in 3.1 :(

Still, it'll be nice to get rid of our quiver/ammo pouch and having ammo stack to high ammounts. It'll make swtiching from guns to bows much easier. (Curse the fool who thought making the best ranged weapon in the game a gun!)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They better be really high stacks. Because we pretty much have ammo stacking to 2000 as it is, just with some clicking involved (arrow/bullet makers)

Honestly the whole thing really fucking pisses me off. I would have much rather they had kept their stupid mouths shut about the idea than going "AWESOME CHANGE COMING IN 3.1 WHOOO!" and then a few days later "WHOOPS! Forget we said that, the change isn't coming after all. It might come some point in the future, don't know when. But it's coming... maybe"

And really the bag space is nice, but not my primary concern with the change. I don't want to have to spend money and time to get ammo anymore. I'm sick of it at this point. And showing us that the situation could change has only made things worse with how I feel about it. Replacing a fuckawesome change with a great one has just made the great one feel kinda shitty by comparison, even though it's still a great change in the end.

I guess I should get used to stop-gap changes as it seems to be the way things are headed with hunters for the time being.

And to balance out that bile: Whoohoo! BM is good again! I'm super pleased about that getting fixed (and not having to wait too long for it) and look forward to the new pet tree stuff in 3.1 (assuming it still makes it :P )

-SPI- on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The fact that they're changing anything at all surprised me. Back in the day Blizzard would have just yanked the change and not offered to do anything to compensate in the meanwhile. It's still a huge let down though. Sooo tired of ammo(plus I go through an absolute f*k ton of it since I switched to MM).

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, I want to know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Just hit 30, BM. About 1k health and mana. I use a wolf.

I let the wolf tank while I ping away at the mob (combo of Concussive Shot to start, Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot when ready). I find myself getting low on mana by about the 4th, 5th mob, so I switch to AotV to full mana, then back to AotH.

Is this normal? Sometimes I feel like I'm draining mana too fast, and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case or not.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, they dropped the level requirement on AotV? You used to not get it until level 64 or so.

As for your mana problem, you shouldn't be using Concussive Shot unless you pull aggro and won't be able to down the mob before it reaches you. But, depending on how fast you play, going 4-5 mobs between switches to AotV at level 30 doesn't seem bad.

forty on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I let the wolf tank while I ping away at the mob (combo of Concussive Shot to start, Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot when ready). I find myself getting low on mana by about the 4th, 5th mob, so I switch to AotV to full mana, then back to AotH.

Is this normal? Sometimes I feel like I'm draining mana too fast, and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case or not.

This is normal. I remember when we didn't have AotV while levelling... </grandpa>

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Asuma wrote: »

This is normal. I remember when we didn't have AotV while levelling... </four months ago>

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the responses!

I use Concussive at the start to give my wolf time to get to my target, so I don't have to reposition myself. It's helpful in places with lots of mobs. I believe he gets a speed increase talent later on (not Dash); maybe I can stop using it at that point.

(Though using Conc. Shot into a group of mobs does help me single out one to drop first, and helps make sure my trap catches a mob that's not currently targeted.)

ringswraith on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wahoo, got the rare White/Blue gorilla yesturday. Only had to wait 30 minutes.

And whats this about us still having to use ammo in 3.1? God damn.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mmm... the dual spec info looks delicious, especially:
    Blizzard wrote:
    Nethaera: What about hunters? Often their pet talents are set up to match the talents of the hunter. Will they be able to switch their pet specs as well?

Ghostcrawler: We will wipe the pet talents. However we are going to remove the respec cost for pet talents so that players won’t feel like they need to jump through an additional hoop to respec their pet. In addition, we are going to provide hunters a new core ability to let them remotely access their stable on a long cooldown. This way if their exotic pet heads off to the stable, they will be able to get a different pet. We hope to be able to discuss this new spell in more detail when we get a little further along.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/dualspec.html

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    However we are going to remove the respec cost for pet talents so that players won’t feel like they need to jump through an additional hoop to respec their pet.
    About fucking time. It was always retarded that pets had a respec cost.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    forty wrote: »
    However we are going to remove the respec cost for pet talents so that players won’t feel like they need to jump through an additional hoop to respec their pet.
    About fucking time. It was always retarded that pets had a respec cost.

But... but... it made the pets less dispoOooooOoosable!

Asuma on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's hoping for word on the new tier of pet talents coming in 3.1 not-several-months-from-now.

Also: a Resto shaman friend and I have been having a good time in our 2s. I'm PvP SV, and the combination's been working pretty well.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm almost positive the new pet talents will be in 3.1 Of course, 3.1 might just be "several-months-from-now." At least two, anyway.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    forty wrote: »
    I'm almost positive the new pet talents will be in 3.1 Of course, 3.1 might just be "several-months-from-now." At least two, anyway.

Right, but I'm hoping we at least get news of what they'll be. I've been itching for a reason to spec back to BM, because I feel like I'm doing the loose shot rotation of Survival wrong, or something, because the other hunters in the raid and I are consistently doing middle-of-the-road DPS. :\

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll post here what I posted in that blue thread on the official EU forums:
    This is too much streamlining.

The game is so streamlined these days that it is the eqvivalent of a couch potato; no need to move, only point the remote and zap, you got everything you want.

No need to hunt beasts for skills anymore, no need to feed you pet anymore, and soon no need to user quivers and who knows what will finally happen to the ammunition...

What if I wanted to do all this? What if I found it fun?

Here, in the adaption of WoW for young children, is where I predict it's market domination will end. Perhaps Blizzard wants to brainwash a generation or two, like McDonald's have done (infiltrate their lives early), but here is also where I will seek out a finer dining experience.

I want to be challenged, not pampered.

It's disappointing when a monopoly only seeks to increase their profits even more by catering for the lowest common denominator, instead of using their market position for something good (I'm not going to give examples here, because I will be accused of having an agenda).

Perhaps the comment belongs more in the general WoW thread, though...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I find all those things tedious and get in the way of the actual fun components of the game, which for a hunter is shooting arrows at monsters in spectacular fashion while my pet gnaws it's knees off.

What did feeding your pet REALLY add to the game? For someone not interested in roleplaying (I'd play an pnp RPG for that; WoW is a scavanger hunt for loot) it added nothing but another stupid thing I had to keep track of, and another inventory spot that gets taken up. (Still taken up actually, as I still have the feed my pet when I want to make sure to start out with as much DPS on a boss as possible.)

And do you honestly think the quiver is "fun?" Seriously? I certainly don't find it fun when my inventory gets full because I'm down a bag slot.

Also, I don't get how the game is more "point the remote and zap" than it was before. All the things you mention happen outside of fights. Hunter's are still doing effectively the same thing when it comes the most important part of the game. Only now I can do it with a bigass dinosaur. And I don't have to worry about feeding it all the time.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ditto.

Less inane shit that I have to do inbetween shooting mobs or players full of holes = $$$

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find all those things tedious and get in the way of the actual fun components of the game, which for a hunter is shooting arrows at monsters in spectacular fashion while my pet gnaws it's knees off.

And shooting arrows at monsters for little reason may be the only thing left in the game soon.
    What did feeding your pet REALLY add to the game? For someone not interested in roleplaying (I'd play an pnp RPG for that; WoW is a scavanger hunt for loot) it added nothing but another stupid thing I had to keep track of, and another inventory spot that gets taken up. (Still taken up actually, as I still have the feed my pet when I want to make sure to start out with as much DPS on a boss as possible.)

Immersion. I play on an RP server.
    And do you honestly think the quiver is "fun?" Seriously? I certainly don't find it fun when my inventory gets full because I'm down a bag slot.

I have played the game as a hunter since it was released, and never found it to be a problem. My guess is that some people will complain about bag space until they are infinite. Again, pampering the player.
    Also, I don't get how the game is more "point the remote and zap" than it was before. All the things you mention happen outside of fights. Hunter's are still doing effectively the same thing when it comes the most important part of the game. Only now I can do it with a bigass dinosaur. And I don't have to worry about feeding it all the time.

To me, the combat is not the most important part of the game. It is, however, the most common. To me, the game is a fun social excursion into another world. If all I do is click to attack monsters, I might as well invite a few friends over for a movie.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    eobet wrote: »

I have played the game as a hunter since it was released, and never found it to be a problem. My guess is that some people will complain about bag space until they are infinite. Again, pampering the player.

You've never found it to be a problem but what good does it do? They could have easily put the quiver as an equipable on the character screen. But instead it has to be an inconvenience.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    eobet wrote: »

And shooting arrows at monsters for little reason may be the only thing left in the game soon.
    And I don't have a problem with that, as I said, that's the point of a hunter.. That's where the fun of the class comes from. (Or at least where it SHOULD come from. If a class isn't fun to play, then it is fundamentally broken.)

Immersion. I play on an RP server.

Okay, you know when you magically call your pet out of thin air; just pretend he's feeding himself when he's not nearby. Or when he's taking bites out of the badguys.

Plus you're on a RP server. ROLEPLAY IT. Not every concept needs a game mechanic for you to roleplay it. I mean, jeeze, it's not like you ever actually fed your pet anyway. You dragged a food icon onto your pet and little sparklies come off him. I would honestly think that would be counter-intuitive to maintaining immersion.

I'll complain about bag space until I get equal space to that of every other class. (Excepting Warlocks, who share our pain.)

To me, the combat is not the most important part of the game. It is, however, the most common. To me, the game is a fun social excursion into another world. If all I do is click to attack monsters, I might as well invite a few friends over for a movie.

Honestly, you're playing the wrong game if you want a world simulator. WoW is, and has always been, more of a theme park than anything. You run around, kill monsters and do tasks to win prizes and then show the prizes off to your friends. The vast majority of the game directly revolves around that concept.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, you're playing the wrong game if you want a world simulator. WoW is, and has always been, more of a theme park than anything. You run around, kill monsters and do tasks to win prizes and then show the prizes off to your friends. The vast majority of the game directly revolves around that concept.

Asuma on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You got your Oblivion in my World of WoW!

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Asuma wrote: »

Its clearly changed to less resemble an immersive world, to some detriment.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I've decided to choose my hunter as my next 80, and dusted off my 70 the other night.

I have a couple questions. Here is my Armory.

First off, i'm still using this macro for everything: Is this macro still viable? Is it completely outdated?

#showtooltip
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /cast !auto shot
    /cast Kill Shot
    /castrandom Steady Shot, Arcane Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Couple issues i'm noticing.

First, i'm running out of mana in two kills. I'll put on viper and get my mana topped off in no time flat again, but my DPS at 70 is only around 400-500 overall, which is abysmal. On my Warrior I'm running around solo doing close to 900+ DPS.

I keep pulling aggro off my goddamn devilsaur, a guildie tipped me off last night about some bug with cower, so that issue may be fixed by now since I know to look for it and make sure it's de-activated.

How is my build? It hasn't been updated in months, nor have my pet talents, I just dusted him off and am very very rusty.

Any other recommendations? Which glyphs are best for BM hunters? Anything I should be doing or not doing due to any recent changes?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    So I've decided to choose my hunter as my next 80, and dusted off my 70 the other night.

First off, i'm still using this macro for everything: Is this macro still viable? Is it completely outdated?

#showtooltip
    /cast !auto shot
    /cast Kill Shot

First, i'm running out of mana in two kills. I'll put on viper and get my mana topped off in no time flat again, but my DPS at 70 is only around 400-500 overall, which is abysmal. On my Warrior I'm running around solo doing close to 900+ DPS.

I keep pulling aggro off my goddamn devilsaur, a guildie tipped me off last night about some bug with cower, so that issue may be fixed by now since I know to look for it and make sure it's de-activated.

How is my build? It hasn't been updated in months, nor have my pet talents, I just dusted him off and am very very rusty.

Any other recommendations? Which glyphs are best for BM hunters? Anything I should be doing or not doing due to any recent changes?

For soloing as BM I recommend a few things:

First, Open with Serpent Sting, its actually respectable damage these days.

Second, I would just spam steady shot after using Serpent Sting and make sure you have the talent gives you mana return from pet attacks (at work can't check armory)

Major:
    Glyph of Serpent Sting
    Glyph of Steady Shot
    Glyph of Improved Aspect of the Hawk(maybe)
    Minor:
    Glyph of Mend Pet
    Glyph of Raise Pet
    Glyph of Feign Death

For pet aggro issues I use this macro:
    #showtooltip
    /target pet
    /target focus
    /cast Misdirection
    /assist

This is a nice time saver will md your pet, and also good when instancing if you set your MD target as a focus.

Mana issues are rough at first but will improve as you replace gear, TBC did not weight Intellect as heavily for hunters, so you start a little worse off. It gets better as time goes on.

399831.jpg
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll complain about bag space until I get equal space to that of every other class. (Excepting Warlocks, who share our pain.)

I play(ed) a Warlock, Hunter, Druid, and a Shaman pretty extensively, and let me tell you the druid and the shaman had WAY worse inventory problems than my warlock or hunter ever did. Toting around a feral tank, feral DPS, and feral resist set was painful enough, but if I didn't want to make 9001 trips to the bank for respecs, I also had to lug around a full Resto and a partial oomkin set to be able to snap specs around for PvP/raid healing as well.

One bag for ammo/shards is really a small price to pay for inventory management against the pain that is multiple spec gearing at 40+ pieces.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You can put off spec gear in the bank and get it when you need it. You can't do that with quivers/soul bags.

Being able to fulfill multiple roles is a perk, anyway. That hunter or warlock will always be screwed as far as joining that group that's "LF1M need healer."

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ryokaze wrote: »

I play(ed) a Warlock, Hunter, Druid, and a Shaman pretty extensively, and let me tell you the druid and the shaman had WAY worse inventory problems than my warlock or hunter ever did. Toting around a feral tank, feral DPS, and feral resist set was painful enough, but if I didn't want to make 9001 trips to the bank for respecs, I also had to lug around a full Resto and a partial oomkin set to be able to snap specs around for PvP/raid healing as well.

Uh, you could always just stick with one role.. like, you know, hunters are stuck with. You get the benefit of having multiple roles available at the cost of bag space. Hunters lose the bagspace outright with no benefit of multiple roles.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Uh, you could always just stick with one role.. like, you know, hunters are stuck with. You get the benefit of having multiple roles available at the cost of bag space. Hunters lose the bagspace outright with no benefit of multiple roles.

I don't know if you've ever played a hybrid class.

There's no argument to be made -- they have it way worse than hunters.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really want to know what Hybrid class has it so bad these days.

Its certainly not Pallys and I don't recall Shamans getting the raw end. Druid tanking is sorta in limbo but given that they get excel at every other role in the game I don't exactly see it being so bad.

Rogues, now theres a class thats having a shitty time right now but they're not a hybrid.

399831.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

#showtooltip
    /cast !auto shot
    /cast Kill Shot

ExistentialSoundandFury is right on with everything he said. The Cower bug is a bitch on wheels, I don't understand why this still isn't fixed. I end up keeping Cower on my main pet bar just to make sure it stays off. Also, you may want to look into getting a gorilla for leveling - between talented 40% bonus to Growl, and Thunderstomp on a 10sec CD these days, they are outstanding for being out in the world.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I don't know if you've ever played a hybrid class.

There's no argument to be made -- they have it way worse than hunters.

Only if they want the benefit of being able to multiple things. They can choose to just stick with a single thing and not have to worry about carrying around multiple sets of armor. Hunter's don't even get a choice in the matter; they just lose a bag slot because they're a hunter.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The cower bug is actually more annoying that just reactivating these days. I keep seeing the Cower ability initiate its CD (meaning my pet used it) even when its not on auto cast.

I'm survival specced at the moment so my pet has enough trouble holding aggro as it is.

399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really want to know what Hybrid class has it so bad these days.

Its certainly not Pallys and I don't recall Shamans getting the raw end. Druid tanking is sorta in limbo but given that they get excel at every other role in the game I don't exactly see it being so bad.

Rogues, now theres a class thats having a shitty time right now but they're not a hybrid.

I don't know that we're talking about the same thing anymore; I'm talking about hybrid classes' inventory woes as compared to hunters' or warlocks'.
    The cower bug is actually more annoying that just reactivating these days. I keep seeing the Cower ability initiate its CD (meaning my pet used it) even when its not on auto cast.

I'm survival specced at the moment so my pet has enough trouble holding aggro as it is.

Cower shares a cooldown with Growl, so maybe you're just noticing the Cower + Growl combined cooldown.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Question: My hunter (almost 32) has been using bows exclusively. Should I be using a gun instead? I hear the top projectile weapons at 80 are guns.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

#showtooltip
    /cast !auto shot
    /cast Kill Shot

ExistentialSoundandFury is right on with everything he said. The Cower bug is a bitch on wheels, I don't understand why this still isn't fixed. I end up keeping Cower on my main pet bar just to make sure it stays off. Also, you may want to look into getting a gorilla for leveling - between talented 40% bonus to Growl, and Thunderstomp on a 10sec CD these days, they are outstanding for being out in the world.

Yes, you should get a gorilla. Even with the nerfed volley it is still amazingly efficient way to level, also stupidly fun.

Numi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My two level 80s at the moment are a druid and a paladin, and I find the hunter quiver (and warlock shard bag) issue to be a pointless annoyance. On my druid, I just leave his resto gear in the bank until I know what I'm going to be doing. Anyone telling you hybrids are suffering because they're always carrying around over a bag's worth of gear is either being pointlessly argumentative/emo ("abloo abloo woe is us, our class has the most problems") or is just stupid and doesn't realize you don't have to lug everything around all the time.

"and feral resist set"
    Who the hell is carrying around resist gear these days?

forty on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Mana issues....yes, BM tends to go through the mana. This is normal. Viper up and get back to killin'. Your build seems pretty good although you might want look at switching points around to get Bestial Discipline. Cobra strikes...depending on your crit% this may or may not be worth having.

The glyph that reduces the cooldown on bestial wrath is a good one for BM hunters. The glyphs for serpent sting and steady shot are a pretty decent combo although stuff probably won't live long enough for the ss glyph to make any difference.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do recommend getting the skill obviously, but just got with whatever is the best weapon available. If its a bow? Great. A gun? Thats good too.

Leveling weapon skill isn't too bad, I think Dr. Boom still works but I could be wrong.

Even if he doesn't, not a big issue since we are a pet class, let your pet tank something while you auto shot your way to higher skill and xp.

399831.jpg
This discussion has been closed.