As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Perfecting Portability for the Professional (IT Briefcase)

stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
The time has come where it is no longer acceptable for me to carry around a kit in a messenger bag / backpack anymore and I need to upgrade to a decent hard shell briefcase. From what I have seen so far, most cases are designed for a laptop, power brick, and a few papers and pens. They don't really meet the requirements I have. I need to be able to carry:

laptop (13"x9"x1.1") with power brick
universal (s)ata to usb adapter and power brick
1 3.5" and 1 2.5" hdds (optional, but occasionally necessary - want enough room for one)
1 universal screwdriver, 1 jewelry kit of specialized screwdrivers, spudger, strap, etc...
Release forms, liability forms, sales material, business cards, etc... (enough for one day)
and a few random other things that aren't as necessary.

I'm not averse to weight (< 30lbs total would be nice) or bulk (min 3, or 3.5 to 4" internal depth), but it needs to look professional and blend well with a suit. I've toyed with the idea of creating my own foam cut-outs, but I'd like to know what other people are using.

stigweard on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I use this and have never really felt out of place. Other than traveling musicians/photographers I haven't seen someone use a hard shell case in a long time (though perhaps this is a regional thing).

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Soft isn't great for some of the areas I am in and out of frequently. Some of the personalities I deal with would definitely help me feel out of place if I were carrying certain bags. We deal with a range of clients from doctors, lawyers and government to mechanics, engineers, carpenters, etc... It hasn't been a problem in the past, but we've been branching out and the suits are on as much as the casual wear is now.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're googling or searching amazon, adding "attache" to your search terms might help. The problem I found when looking at attaches/briefcases was they seemed much more optimized towards storing and organizing documents instead of you know ... stuff (laptop, hard drives, devices, power bricks, tools, etc).

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Vanguard, Pelican, and Matias seem to be the brands that specialize, but none of them seem to have what I want. At this point, it looks like I might have to make my own cut outs for a case.

stigweard on
  • Options
    RendonRendon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If Pelican fits your needs, you might want to try storm cases. Not sure if this type of case will go with a suit, but thought you could try it.

http://www.stormcase.com/StormIT.htm

Rendon on
    Cheese is great.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    Vanguard, Pelican, and Matias seem to be the brands that specialize, but none of them seem to have what I want. At this point, it looks like I might have to make my own cut outs for a case.

If you want a snug little compartment for everything, this is your best bet. Cutting a nice high density foam isn't very difficult.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a Halliburton Zero and I love it. It's pretty much indestructible.

However, they are quite expensive. Mine was a thank-you gift from a long-time client.

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/business/aluminum.jsp

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.