As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The World Very Nearly Ended

misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Social Entropy++
On Thursday (Sept 18), at 11am the Federal Reserve noticed a tremendous draw-down of money market accounts in the U.S., to the tune of $550 billion was being drawn out in the matter of an hour or two. The Treasury opened up its window to help and pumped $105 billion in the system and quickly realized that they could not stem the tide. We were having an electronic run on the banks. They decided to close the operation, close down the money accounts and announce a guarantee of $250,000 per account so there wouldn't be further panic out there.

If they had not done that, their estimation is that by 2pm that afternoon, $5.5 trillion would have been drawn out of the money market system of the U.S., would have collapsed the entire economy of the U.S., and within 24 hours the world economy would have collapsed. It would have been the end of our economic system and our political system as we know it.

http://www.examiner.com/x-243-Progressive-Politics-Examiner~topic82430-Rep-Kanjorski

Man, hasn't the last 14 months just been the best!

misbehavin on

• Options
    BeyondBeyond Nerd Slayer In the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Indeed.

Beyond on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    It would be nice if at the end of all this, the whole world didn't depend on America's economy.

bongi on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you'd think people know by now that runs on banks are a stupid thing to do

but nope

Faricazy on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think there will definitely be a drive to make that happen, bongi. In some countries more than others.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

but nope

People tend to get a little irrational and weird when they're faced with the prospect of losing all their money.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I think there will definitely be a drive to make that happen, bongi. In some countries more than others.
    I don't really know anything about economics, but people are like 'pretty much we all have to support the US economy right now or it will all go tits up'.

Well why don't we just remove our economic heads from the US's economic backside, and instead insert economic fingers up a variety of economic backsides.

bongi on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

but nope

Everybody else better be smart and leave their money in there, but FUCK if i'm not going to yank out all my cash and shove it into my boxer-briefs!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    I don't really know anything about economics, but people are like 'pretty much we all have to support the US economy right now or it will all go tits up'.

Well why don't we just remove our economic heads from the US's economic backside, and instead insert economic fingers up a variety of economic backsides.

Because you really don't know anything about economics.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

maybe we should redistribute the wealth too

communist

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »

but nope

People tend to get a little irrational and weird when they're faced with the prospect of losing all their money.
    a couple of years ago the cops had to barricade a bank in chinatown because someone started a rumor that the bank was failing and like a thousand chinese people showed up to take their money back

Faricazy on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It would be nice if at the end of all this, the whole world didn't depend on America's economy.

yeah right, good luck with that. how will the world operate without american products like truck nutz and singing fish and shamwows and snuggies, man.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait to start looting.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »

Because you really don't know anything about economics.
    So it's really impossible for the world to have an economic model where the entire world doesn't suckle at the teat of the US?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm not sure on the process either, but I assume it would be a complicated process. That being said I think it would be worth the time.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Pony wrote: »

maybe we should redistribute the wealth too

communist

oh waaaa communism waaaa

Communism rules USSR fo lyfe

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

but nope

a couple of years ago the cops had to barricade a bank in chinatown because someone started a rumor that the bank was failing and like a thousand chinese people showed up to take their money back

So...

The Police prevented people from accessing their own money?

That sounds astonishingly unethical...

misbehavin on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That sure would have been fun.

Never seen the world end before.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What's silly is that most of the deposits are FDIC insured. So running to the bank doesn't do nothin' for you except get your money a few days quicker.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Everything I know about bank runs i learned from watching "Mary Poppins" in Italian.

Why couldn't that Jewish guy just give the little kid his pennies back?!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

but nope

So...

unfortunately it was probably the only thing they could have done

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really hope this new Clive Owen movie teaches people the evil of banks.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

but nope

So...

the bank closed for the day but people were yelling and shit outside, so cops

banks actually have a right to delay your withdrawal by 30 days if it's a large amount, they just never exercise that right save for times like bank runs.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    What's silly is that most of the deposits are FDIC insured. So running to the bank doesn't do nothin' for you except get your money a few days quicker.

Well, that was the whole point. Remember, in September there were articles and rumors that, if banks failed, the FDIC insurance wouldn't cover enough deposits to make it worthwhile for people, and everyone panicked.

Basically, this right here is the reason the Fed "randomly" bumped the FDIC coverage to 250K without warning.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

but nope

So...

but, yo-your money's not hear... it's-it's in Joe's house, a-a-and Fred's house!

comedy aside, if the bank decides to close its doors because of an unsubstantiated rumor, they have a right to ask the police to come keep people from busting down the doors.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think there's something fishy about this report.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1127278/Revealed-Day-banks-just-hours-collapse.html#

To have two stories, worded so similarly, only with the country and date different, I think someone's making shit up.

My thought would be the Daily Mail, but I could be wrong.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    at least we don't live in iceland

Pony on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    lostwords wrote: »

yeah right, good luck with that. how will the world operate without american products like truck nutz and singing fish and shamwows and snuggies, man.

Can you imagine wiping up spilled liquids with more than one cloth, unprotected against harsh drafts, in a stone-silent, nutless house?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, that was the whole point. Remember, in September there were articles and rumors that, if banks failed, the FDIC insurance wouldn't cover enough deposits to make it worthwhile for people, and everyone panicked.

Basically, this right here is the reason the Fed "randomly" bumped the FDIC coverage to 250K without warning.

I love how that was just a reminder. "Hey. Everyone. Your shit is still insured. The FDIC isn't going anywhere."

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i hear they use shark puke and fur hats as currencies

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

but nope

So...

but, yo-your money's not hear... it's-it's in Joe's house, a-a-and Fred's house!

comedy aside, if the bank decides to close its doors because of an unsubstantiated rumor, they have a right to ask the police to come keep people from busting down the doors.

Ah, see, I misunderstood the original statement. I pictured it more as a "the bank was open, but they weren't allowing people to close accounts" sort of thing. If the bank is closed, then, yes, they have a right to ask the police to protect their property.

And I actually didn't know that banks had a right to hold withdrawals... Interesting...

misbehavin on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Apparently the UK will be in an Iceland esque state in about six months time.

Horay!

bongi on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Seriously it's fucking cold there

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    iceland had it's first female prime minister

who is also gay

how progressive!

except she only got the job because nobody else wanted it

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    LTM wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1127278/Revealed-Day-banks-just-hours-collapse.html#

To have two stories, worded so similarly, only with the country and date different, I think someone's making shit up.

Not sure what's up with the Daily Mail, but the video attached to the main article is genuine. It's real.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey let's take out all our money and crash the economy. Then those pieces of paper will be worth so much!

Or be a good, retarded, rich CEO and keep your money there and maybe put more in because I said so. Can't be any worse than what you'd do by yourself.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009

who is also gay

how progressive!

she must be used to how fermented shark smells

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This is clear planned destruction of the pound sterling as a currency in order to bring britian into the euro, also in america the same thing is going on with the dollar to bring usa into the amero currency. The fianciers of this world (rothschild, rockefellers, windsors, etc) are the corrupt and power hungry families who control governments and banks via their large somes of cash and in that way they can set the covert or overt agenda of a particular government.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2009

who is also gay

how progressive!

Just like barack obama!

sort of

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not sure what's up with the Daily Mail, but the video attached to the main article is genuine. It's real.

Just because the guy went on TV and actually said it doesn't mean it really went down like that.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

This is clear planned destruction of the pound sterling as a currency in order to bring britian into the euro, also in america the same thing is going on with the dollar to bring usa into the amero currency. The fianciers of this world (rothschild, rockefellers, windsors, etc) are the corrupt and power hungry families who control governments and banks via their large somes of cash and in that way they can set the covert or overt agenda of a particular government.

surprised he didn't blame zionists

Pony on