As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recomend a good 1TB drive at a decent price

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
Here I am over a year into my second build using the same 300GB HDD and it is coming up on 4 years of use. I know that after 5 years of use a drive's chance of failure raises exponentially and I'd like to hedge my bets and pick up a new drive now before I have horrible data loss and get a much larger one while I'm at it.

I don't follow HDDs though so I'm not sure what I should get. The basic idea is that I want 1TB at good quality and good price. It is also important to note that this is the one and only drive going to be used in a gaming rig. I'm sure you guys that do follow this stuff should be able to recommend something good for me and others that may be replacing drives or putting a new build together.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm using a Western Digital Caviar Black, 1TB. I'm very pleased with it, and it seems to be a very popular choice (it was recommended to me at this forum). I think the quality is quite good for the price. Do keep in mind it is SATA however, if that affects you.

You can get it off NewEgg for $130, with free shipping, I believe.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seconding Synthesis. On a side note, stay away from Seagate...while I've been buying those for years, it seems that their latest line of 1TB drives had some nasty issues that caused a large amount of failures. Unless I was buying an Intel SSD, Western Digital is the only company I'd buy from at the moment.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got the Seagate 1.5TB drive and haven't had any problems with it at all. It's nice and fast and has enough space that I don't worry about space anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337&Tpk=1.5TB

Right now it's $130 from Newegg with free shipping. There was some firmware bug that caused problems with some RAID controllers, but there's a firmware update for that that you can download from Newegg's page (although, oddly enough, not from Seagate's page).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I ordered one a while ago that shipped with the fixed firmware (CC1H). Problem is, it came DOA, forcing me to go through the song, dance and expense of an RMA.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Third Western Digital. Been using their drives for at least a decade and NEVER had problems.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I've got the Seagate 1.5TB drive and haven't had any problems with it at all. It's nice and fast and has enough space that I don't worry about space anymore.

Right now it's $130 from Newegg with free shipping. There was some firmware bug that caused problems with some RAID controllers, but there's a firmware update for that that you can download from Newegg's page (although, oddly enough, not from Seagate's page).

I hear generally as a rule of thumb it is safer to not go higher than 1TB because they get less reliable at higher capacities and if you want/need more than 1TB just RAID.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I hear generally as a rule of thumb it is safer to not go higher than 1TB because they get less reliable at higher capacities and if you want/need more than 1TB just RAID.

640K is enough for anyone?

I mean, if you've got a source on the reliability thing I'd love to hear it, but drives get bigger over time, as a rule of thumb.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, as far as drive reliability goes, I've seen enough hard drives over the past few years die from different manufacturers that I just don't even pay attention anymore. I look for the capacity I want and order the cheapest HDD I can see in that capacity.

Over the past 6 years I have see 5 Western digital failures, 6 Maxtors, 3 Seagates, 1 samsung, and 1 hitachi. the Samsung and hitachi is probably just because I see fewer of them total, the proportions are probably about the same.

in my main rig right now I actually have 4 drives, a Maxtor, a Seagate, a hitachi, and a samsung. Just went for the cheapest at the time in that capacity.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got a 1TB Maxtor from Fry's for $99. Haven't had any problems with it yet and even though everyone tried to steer me away from Maxtor as a brand - I've had 2 WD's and a Seagate die on me before. But hell, I back my important stuff up once a month as it is. If it dies I'm not going to lose a thesis or the cure for cancer. Just some random videos and images.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

There's a deal going around to get the 1.5 TB for $83 from Dell, but again, buyer beware. The firmware update is linked in the thread below, too:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1186183

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I mean, if you've got a source on the reliability thing I'd love to hear it, but drives get bigger over time, as a rule of thumb.

Completely unrelated comments. Just because capacities get bigger means that one single method will remain reliable. Capacity is getting bigger YES, but that doesn't mean that you should stuff it all on a single drive, once you reach a certain size you start to see diminishing returns. That's what RAID is for. Platters can only handle so much and go so fast, that's why SSDs will be rising in prominence over the next decade. With the comment you made you might as well say well my iPod has 30 gigs of music so I should be able to buy a tape that holds as much, the tech is changing. I am at work so I don't have the sources on hand you want, but I've been told this by network admins as well as a few PA folks on IRC.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Completely unrelated comments. Just because capacities get bigger means that one single method will remain reliable. Capacity is getting bigger YES, but that doesn't mean that you should stuff it all on a single drive, once you reach a certain size you start to see diminishing returns. That's what RAID is for. Platters can only handle so much and go so fast, that's why SSDs will be rising in prominence over the next decade. With the comment you made you might as well say well my iPod has 30 gigs of music so I should be able to buy a tape that holds as much, the tech is changing. I am at work so I don't have the sources on hand you want, but I've been told this by network admins as well as a few PA folks on IRC.

Well, sure, but Seagate's 1.0TB drive is essentially the same as their 1.5TB drive, just with three platters instead of four.

What I'm saying is I don't think we've reached the point you're talking about yet.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

There's a deal going around to get the 1.5 TB for $83 from Dell, but again, buyer beware. The firmware update is linked in the thread below, too:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1186183

The link in the link is broken.. :(

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sorry, I swear that was still working when I posted it, did it just die in the past hour?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Sorry, I swear that was still working when I posted it, did it just die in the past hour?

How would I know.. =P

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    +1 for Seagate. I've got 6 1TB Seagates that are on 24/7 and I've yet to run into a problem.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm using a Western Digital Caviar Black, 1TB. I'm very pleased with it

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I picked up a Western Digital Caviar Green from newegg when they were on sale for $100 with free shipping. Still have free shipping, but no coupon anymore.

Currently sitting at home waiting to be installed, but I read good things about it.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What's the difference between the two 1TB Western Digital Caviar drives that have been linked in the thread so far?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Not a huge fan of RAID. As a replacement of desktop drive, it's more drives, more cables, more hassle. And it's not upgrade-friendly for media servers. You have to buy x number of the exact same drives, anticipating your storage needs for as long as you'll use the RAID. I'm a fan of the Windows Home Server approach. Add drives to your storage pool as you go. Pick the folders you want replicated. The server came with a 500GB drive. A while later I needed a bit more storage so I just threw on a cheap 750GB one. Later I need a bit more, so I add a 1.5TB drive. That kind of storage would have cost way more if I had tried to build it all at the outset. Plus you can throw on USB or eSATA drives if you feel like it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What's the difference between the two 1TB Western Digital Caviar drives that have been linked in the thread so far?

The Caviar Green is billed as a power-saving and quieter drive, the Black is their performance line. The actual performance difference is probably quite small, but I'd buy the Black.

Fats on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of RAID. As a replacement of desktop drive, it's more drives, more cables, more hassle. And it's not upgrade-friendly for media servers. You have to buy x number of the exact same drives, anticipating your storage needs for as long as you'll use the RAID. I'm a fan of the Windows Home Server approach. Add drives to your storage pool as you go. Pick the folders you want replicated. The server came with a 500GB drive. A while later I needed a bit more storage so I just threw on a cheap 750GB one. Later I need a bit more, so I add a 1.5TB drive. That kind of storage would have cost way more if I had tried to build it all at the outset. Plus you can throw on USB or eSATA drives if you feel like it.

I just want to clear this up: You don't need the exact same drives, just the same size. And you don't need to anticipate your storage needs any more than you would with WHS, you can just add more drives to a RAID array whenever you want (as long as your RAID controller lets you grow the array).

WHS just trades redundancy for convenience, and is definitely not a RAID replacement.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, you can add the same size drives. But you might be limited by the number of slots for drives. And over time the best value ($ per GB) drive might be much bigger than the one you picked, giving you a choice of hooking up 4 more drives or 1 more spacious, overall cheaper drive. That's assuming you even have the slots.

The WHS solution does have a few disadvantages but it does not trade away redundancy. You can replicate any shared folder across multiple drives, which ensures the contents are not taken down by a drive failure. It might be a bit slower than a RAID and it might have a higher disk space cost for redundancy over RAID 5, but I find that an acceptable tradeoff for the drop-dead simple and flexible storage upgrade system.

(edit) I'll describe how to add a drive to a MediaSmart server.

1) Take out the drive tray
    2) Slip the drive into the drive tray (no tools needed)
    3) Put the drive tray into the server (no need to shut it down)
    4) Go to the WHS console, right click the new disk, then add to storage pool
    5) Wait 10 seconds
    6) Enjoy your new space

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fats wrote: »

The Caviar Green is billed as a power-saving and quieter drive, the Black is their performance line. The actual performance difference is probably quite small, but I'd buy the Black.

Yeah, the Black is the fastest 7200RPM SATA drive on the market. On average, anyway. I think it's competitive with the 10k RPM Velociraptor 300gb in many benchmarks.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Here are Tom's thoughts on the black and green.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    risumon wrote: »

That is a daunting 16 pages of text and numbers, I appreciate the link, but any kind of bottom line?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That is a daunting 16 pages of text and numbers, I appreciate the link, but any kind of bottom line?

Last page, tends to be the conclusion/summary.
    Low Power / HTPC Choices
    The majority of the drives were 3.5” models spinning at 7,200 RPM, while there were three power-efficient drives by Samsung and Western Digital, which some people may want to consider for low-power solutions, media servers or home theater PCs. While the Samsung Eco Green drives are solid, we found a clear winner: WD’s Caviar Green (WD10EADS model) is by far the most efficient 3.5” terabyte hard drive available today. Be careful not to get the predecessor WD10EACS, as that one is rather lame compared to the latest model.
    Mainstream / All-round Hard Drives
    Mainstream users will have to decide if they want a versatile drive, which they can use as a system drive and to store a lot of data. If you’re looking for an all-rounder, we recommend going either for Hitachi’s Deskstar 7K1000.B (watch for the B!) at 1 TB, 750 GB or 640 GB, which offers balanced performance and efficiency. Western Digital’s Caviar Black or RAID Edition 3 (RE3) are the better application drives, as they deliver quicker access time and I/O performance.
    Storage Mammoths
    Samsung’s Spinpoint F and the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 at up to 1.5 TB (be sure you get the latest drive revisions) are superior when it comes to sequential throughput. Particularly, the new 1.5 TB Seagate offers the fastest maximum transfer rates of all mechanical SATA hard drives, but both aren’t quick enough in our application benchmarks, and neither belong in the efficiency category. They may still be the best choice if you can get a good deal, given that you are looking to minimize cost per gigabyte in the first place.
    Performance Options
    If you want maximum hard drive performance there is no substitute for the Western Digital 2.5” VelociRaptor drive at 300 GB—it is the most expensive drive, but also the fastest desktop hard drive you can get. Thanks to its compact dimensions, it even has low power consumption, despite its 10,000 RPM spindle speed. However, if you’re ready to fork out the money for the VelociRaptor, you may want to compare it to some flash SSDs, which provide even more performance at the expense of storage capacity.

edit: my personal rec for gaming only would be the WD black. When it comes to seagate, between the firmware issues of the latest generation, and the speed issues of my 500gb 7200.10 (often horribly slow. see windows 7 thread talking about WEI capping scoring on certain HDD's) I would stay away from them altogether. That's too many issues in addition to normal drive failure. I am using the green WD10EADS, 4 in a RAID5 array, for my server/htpc. They're awesome but not the best choice for a gaming only box.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Towards the end there are charts and stuff showing various things where it says whether high or low is better.

And the conclusion basically says, Green for low power and data, black for apps, and velociraptor for all around performance.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Towards the end there are charts and stuff showing various things where it says whether high or low is better.

And the conclusion basically says, Green for low power and data, black for apps, and velociraptor for all around performance.

Great, so then I should go for the Black for some more space on my gaming rig. I'm going to pick it up from Amazon since I have a 10 dollar credit.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »
    +1 for Seagate. I've got 6 1TB Seagates that are on 24/7 and I've yet to run into a problem.

Make that +2.

Be sure, however, that if you get a Barracuda, you update the firmware. Or, you could do like I do, and buy the SV35 version that has no problems.

It's $50 more, but I use them in high-end surveillance systems at work and have never had a problem with them.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Too late ordered WDCB. I'll get it by Thurs and install it at a friends house over the weekend along with 64bit Vista.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm very happy with my Caviar Black, I'm sure it'll do well for you.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my Caviar Black, I'm sure it'll do well for you.

It's going to have to be my last upgrade for a while, just got laid off.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    according to that tom's hardware site, this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822100066 is the way to go for external.

anyone else have any opinions? I'm looking to pick up a drive within the next month.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seems a little expensive when you can get a Western Digital for $120.

I hate external hard drives though. I'd get internal instead unless you absolutely need one (no more SATA ports, need the portability, etc).

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I honestly want the portability and the convenience.

it is more money, but that site seemed to like it more. then again, part of that was that it had more ports which doesn't matter to me at all.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fair enough. Either would be fine, probably, but unless there's something specific you need from the SimpleTech drive, I don't know that it would be worth the extra expense.

You could also look into getting an enclosure and a drive separate, if you want. Might be able to get something more portable.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Looks like main difference is the interface. The WD is only usb, where as the simpletech has firewire and esata as well.

That is prolly also the reason for the price diff.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    there seems to be various different 'mo book' models, but I think I'll probably just pick one because I don't see differences besides size... some of them just seem like the same item to me.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All set up, I am now fat and happy sitting on roughly 1.3TB of HDD space and Vista 64.

The_Spaniard on