As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finish Him! - Midway files for bankruptcy

13»

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MK1 and 2 weren't terribly goofball.

TOASTY!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xaquin wrote: »
    MK1 and 2 weren't terribly goofball.

TOASTY!

That is probably the goofiest thing in MK2 (Aside from Babalities and Friendships, were were mostly there to make fun of the outrage MK1 produced.) Everything else was more darkly comedic in nature.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    If I was rich, I'd put some serious inquiries into how much it would cost to aquire the Mortal Kombat franchise. Give the series a reboot to drop the decade worth of completely silly backstory, make the game's tone more serious, and a make a fighting engine worth a damn and I seriously think it'd be hugely successful.
    At that point, wouldn't it cease to be Mortal Kombat?
    I mean, the original game had 7 fighters fighting to the death to save our dimension from an invasion from another dimension. It didn't exactly start out as a serious game...

I said more serious, not all serious. Like no fatalities that have you explode into 9 ribcages, 6 skulls and 84 femurs, toning down the camp, if a character fucking dies in the storyline LEAVE HIM DEAD, and generally get rid of all the extremely silly stuff that turned MK from something cool into a total joke.

I mean, as you said, there is a certain unavoidable air of cheese in the series, but 95% of it is unneeded and didn't appear until MK3 and later, IMO. MK1 and 2 weren't terribly goofball. I mean, hell, I'd be all for dropping the entire backstory of the tournament being a way of settling inter-dimensional disputes and doing new things with the characters chosen to be included in the reimagining.

If they started to do that sort of thing, that would probably lose me as a fan.

I like Mortal Kombat BECAUSE it is goofball. The fighting genre is one that is taken FAR too seriously, and it is nice to have an option within it where you know that the developer is laughing with you.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    If I was rich, I'd put some serious inquiries into how much it would cost to aquire the Mortal Kombat franchise. Give the series a reboot to drop the decade worth of completely silly backstory, make the game's tone more serious, and a make a fighting engine worth a damn and I seriously think it'd be hugely successful.
    I mean, the original game had 7 fighters fighting to the death to save our dimension from an invasion from another dimension. It didn't exactly start out as a serious game...

I said more serious, not all serious. Like no fatalities that have you explode into 9 ribcages, 6 skulls and 84 femurs, toning down the camp, if a character fucking dies in the storyline LEAVE HIM DEAD, and generally get rid of all the extremely silly stuff that turned MK from something cool into a total joke.

I mean, as you said, there is a certain unavoidable air of cheese in the series, but 95% of it is unneeded and didn't appear until MK3 and later, IMO. MK1 and 2 weren't terribly goofball. I mean, hell, I'd be all for dropping the entire backstory of the tournament being a way of settling inter-dimensional disputes and doing new things with the characters chosen to be included in the reimagining.

I like Mortal Kombat BECAUSE it is goofball. The fighting genre is one that is taken FAR too seriously, and it is nice to have an option within it where you know that the developer is laughing with you.

Lately I've just been laughing at the developer.

And I think Mortal Kombat's most important legacy isn't how goofball it became, but how it took a genre lead by Street Fighter and actually showed people getting hurt and dying. Granted it was over the top, but I think that is what the future MK titles should concentrate on, as we're still running around with fighting games were you can get stabbed with a sword and have no ill effects other than your lifebar gets decreased a bit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And I think Mortal Kombat's most important legacy isn't how goofball it became, but how it took a genre lead by Street Fighter and actually showed people getting hurt and dying. Granted it was over the top, but I think that is what the future MK titles should concentrate on, as we're still running around with fighting games were you can get stabbed with a sword and have no ill effects other than your lifebar gets decreased a bit.

you're talking about battle damage? anyone can run with that.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Then why haven't they?

Mortal Kombat, when it was at it's best, was about gritty, if over the top, violence. Gorey battle-damage would fit right in. Other games seem to shy away from things like that while MK revels in it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this Kotaku article yet.

tl;dr - There is a good chance Sumner Redstone illegally gave his shares away for cheap to a friend/family member in order to force Midway into bankruptcy and collect the debt they owe him.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Psssssst.

Hey buddy.. You wanna buy a franchise?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Psssssst.

Hey buddy.. You wanna buy a franchise?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................

not really

slash000 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, there's pretty much no coming back from this. Mortal Kombat was their number one moneymaker. Even the last game did quite well.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I must be the only person who played The Suffering, because that game was awesome. Not so much the sequel, but it was an IP that had promise. The problem was that there really wasn't much room for expansion in the plot.

The Rush series was also awesome, and I'm not sure why they just kinda :shrugged: at it.

Skexis on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Then why haven't they?

Mortal Kombat, when it was at it's best, was about gritty, if over the top, violence. Gorey battle-damage would fit right in. Other games seem to shy away from things like that while MK revels in it.

Bushido Blade did limbs being cut off and throats slashed and was crazy for battle damage....and did it better than MK did imo.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    FishdertFishdert Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Midway makes pretty medicore games that do not deserve to exist. I'm surprised it took this long, but they truly do not have the "touch" that makes good games; they have simply lost all creative spirit.

Fishdert on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This saddens me to no end. Not even the selling of MK so much, though that does kind of stink, but what they're doing to the employees as well.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    fuck, i just want them to stop pretending Mortal Kombat is a real fighting game and just make a gorefest ninja gaiden style game.

Sam on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I could so totally seeing Capcom buying MK just to throw it into like the ULTIMATE vs game if they get the Marvel and DC license together.

Capcom vs. Every Fucking Thing!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think Midway should just lie down and die at this point. Pass MK to someone who might make something of it and go away.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Midway's problem is it didn't seem they didn't have any "mainstream" games that would make up the bread and butter of their profits. If your flagship game is a fighting game, you're selling to a niche. And doomed.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    And for those of you who haven't seen the news, Warner now owns Midway's properties, including MK.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is good. Better than the otherwise seemingly inevitable alternative, at any rate.

What's bad is that I hear they plan to change the name.

I do not want this.

I want Midway to live. LIVE!!!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, if we get another rush game out of it, I'll be happy.

assuming its good.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    According to Ed Boon, the sale of Midway to Warner Brothers (which he is actually excited about, apparently) means DLC for MK vs DC has gone down the toilet.

Quan Chi and Harley Quinn were in the works.

As for Mortal Kombat... well, Ed Boon's twitter page pretty well gives away that MK9 is on the way

"Long, long, day..We motion captured 14 fatalities today. I think thats a record for us !!"

Rumor has it that the sale also opened the doors to a third MK movie. Lets hope it's a good popcorn flick like the first one and not ass blasting diarrhea like the second one.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if the MoCap actors actually perform the fatalities.

I'd like to think they do.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's one of the most disappointing aspects of Mortal Kombat, is that they have no mojo for great fatalities anymore. I've seen all MKvDC and MK Deception, but I never played Armageddon.

I wish the combo system from MK3/MKU would make a comeback.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Armageddon had "dial-a-fatality" where you had a bunch of generic, minor fatality moves (Ranging from stuff as stupid as PUSHING your opponant, to ripping chunks of them out, to snapping your neck.) and you'd combo them, trying to get as many in before you killed them.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Armageddon had "dial-a-fatality" where you had a bunch of generic, minor fatality moves (Ranging from stuff as stupid as PUSHING your opponant, to ripping chunks of them out, to snapping your neck.) and you'd combo them, trying to get as many in before you killed them.

It made sense from a "holy shit there's like 80 characters in this game how are we going to make fatalities for all of them??" perspective but outside of that it was pretty lame and boring.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It made sense from a "holy shit there's like 80 characters in this game how are we going to make fatalities for all of them??" perspective but outside of that it was pretty lame and boring.

Yeah, that's true.

Still, I think they should have given every character a signiture fatalty (Scorpion's Toasty for example.)

Undead Scottsman on