As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vandorin's Horrible....drawings?

2»

• Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reminds me of the movie Waking Life.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's cool to see you making such big improvements. Keep it up.

Food on
  • Options
    VandorinVandorin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Been playing [Prototype] instead of drawing. Here's something I did today so that I don't get too rusty.

b8wrb4.png

Messed up on the hand, but other than that I'm happy with it.

Vandorin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Another update from me. Criticism is always welcome :D

2hs0wt5.png

25uid82.png

Also, does anyone know any good books on how to color?

Vandorin on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good progress, I can see this thread becoming a "go to" thread for showing people how much progress you can make when you work at it.

I honestly think you just need to keep doing what you're doing right now.
    Unfortunately I don't know of any great books on colour, I've learnt what i know from studying others art and just picking up bits and pieces here and there. That being said, I'm not all that great with colour either.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mustang: Thanks, but how long should I keep drawing from reference? Should I just keep doing it while working on random doodles on the side, and then slowly make my own style?

Latest update from me:

izxb8x.png

Vandorin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You should never stop drawing from reference. Of course you can draw without it, but don't treat references like training wheels, they are just a tool to help you achieve your goals. I don't know a single artist who doesn't advocate the use of a model or a picture or drawing from life. At the end of the day they're all references and far superior to what your imagination is capable of.

Also don't worry about style, the style is in your technique for solving problems and that will develop with experience and infused with your own personal eccentricities. It's something that will come completely naturally, so don't ever force it. That's not to say you shouldn't have fun with your art, you should always try to have fun and try new things, even if they don't work out you usually learn something.
    You're doing really well, so keep it up.

Mustang on
  • Options
    sgt scruffiansgt scruffian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow. That is a very quick, very vast improvement. I'm impressed.

Keep it up and I might just be inspired to get back into drawing :P

sgt scruffian on
    randomSecondPanel.php
  • Options
    DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wow, ya, you improved alot. keep it up man.

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wow, thanks everybody! :D, I looked back at some of my old comics (one's not posted in this thread) and couldn't believe I used to draw like that. Thanks all around to this forum for kickin my ass and making me work towards improving :D.

Just a quick sketch today.

2yo4op2.png

Vandorin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    AURGH!

2guabtd.jpg

How I love July.

Vandorin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quick and dirty.

xcqgcp.png

Vandorin on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, you sure are coming along. Those studies are neat, more of those!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Man, you sure are coming along. Those studies are neat, more of those!

Thanks! But I think I might try to start using actual photo's as a reference.

My first drawing using a photo as a reference:

30aq5oi.jpg

Does anyone know any good tutorials for drawing hair? It's giving me a lot of problems D:

(The Reference I used)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/139139364/

Vandorin on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    treat the hair as a big shape initially. squint at it and identify roughly the edges of the shape and block that in with angular type lines. then identify the big dark masses of the a hair and toss a tone in. Then it is a matter of breaking the shapes down more and more. Generally with hair the more you suggest rather then show will make it easier on yourself.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Remember when you're using a reference to constantly be checking how things are lining up as a whole instead of just drawing piece by piece and only focusing on one part at a time. For example, the girl's right hand in the photo- her wrist is higher above the bottom of the bread and her hand is farther toward the left side of her head. In your drawing she looks a little like she's picking her nose :)

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    treat the hair as a big shape initially. squint at it and identify roughly the edges of the shape and block that in with angular type lines. then identify the big dark masses of the a hair and toss a tone in. Then it is a matter of breaking the shapes down more and more. Generally with hair the more you suggest rather then show will make it easier on yourself.

This is really good advise, it took me years to figure this out on my own.

EDIT: Also you might want to fill out some pages of body parts, one page of hands, one of eyes, one of lips, ears etc.
    The repetition will give you a better understanding, I still do these all the time, in fact I'm doing a page of noses right now.

Mustang on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mustang wrote: »

This is really good advise, it took me years to figure this out on my own.

EDIT: Also you might want to fill out some pages of body parts, one page of hands, one of eyes, one of lips, ears etc.
    The repetition will give you a better understanding, I still do these all the time, in fact I'm doing a page of noses right now.

We should have a weekly or monthly body part thread. I'm doing noses too!

And I agree, while your drawings feel solid, there's an awful lot of anatomy guesswork. Case in point, the guy with the knife there. What is that bulging out the side of his right knee? How does his left thigh transition into his knee and onwards?

I did a lot of that sharp angle somewhere to convey a bone or a convergence of bones and it will work for a while, but you really wanna take a look at specific parts that are troubling you - even if you think they end up looking alright. Eliminating the guesswork will make stuff like right all the time instead of surprising you when it does look kinda good.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks guys! And yea, I probably will start filling out pages with body parts, instead of doing full body studies :o .

Vandorin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Haven't posted here in forever! Trying to get back to drawing every day. Here are some of my latest drawings.

2llkp4o.png

516h3m.png

104nmtz.png

30lgkko.png

2wn4482.png

Vandorin on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Good to see you came back and are still drawing :)
    Keep practicing!

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    First attempt at digital painting.

2dlpt6q.png
    It's an apple

Vandorin on