As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

1656667686971»

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stiles wrote: »
    Roslin did, but since nothing was going on after we jumped the first time we yanked it away from her since she's a bad president. I did kinda know what I was doing since I've read quite a few of the BSG game threads here on this forum (which ultimately led me to getting it =D), but apparently it's a lot easier reading someone else play the game than it is actually playing the game.

I suppose this makes the presidency a lot more powerful than I thought, especially if you have the Brig a character reveal...because then you could brig 3 people? Yeesh....

When I was out of the brig I did throw a couple XOs to break out of the brig, but since I was drawing Leadership that meant I wasn't drawing Politics and I couldn't really contribute to the checkl enough to counteract Baltar spiking and Roslin adding one in too. It was a bad situation all around. In hindsight, maybe having 2 pilots in a 5 player game isn't the best, then again, I didn't think both political leaders would go evil either.

Also I really should have played one of those consolidate power cards to get a repair card and repair/brig the president that way. I didn't think those cards were that useful, I guess that's the exact situation to use them huh? Bah.

So....I guess we need to come up with some sort of house rule or something to prevent breaking the game like this? Does this happen often or did we pretty much just kinda do it ourselves and should be much more cautious from now on? Well, I guess that last part's a given :P

That's why I like Lee Adama as one of the pilots. He has a really good range of colors.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So....I guess we need to come up with some sort of house rule or something to prevent breaking the game like this? Does this happen often or did we pretty much just kinda do it ourselves and should be much more cautious from now on? Well, I guess that last part's a given :P

First time I've heard of the quorum card thing, we never draw that many in our games. You'll get a better feel for what quorum cards exist as you go, and holding on to too many draws suspicion. Morale is one of the most important resources and he has to have gotten a speech by now, why is he wasting turns drawing so many instead of playing them etc. Also, if you vote the president off Roslin, don't put it on Baltar of all people. He has higher odds of being a cylon.

In other news...

I've noticed everyone seems to play such that executive orders simply give the ability (move and act or 2 actions) to the player of your choice. Our group usually plays it like an actual order, in that you use it on a player and tell them what they have to do. Are we doing it wrong? It doesn't really say explicitly in the cards, but I'm thinking our method makes it an overpowered card without any drawbacks. A low strength card that effectively gives you two free turns at no disadvantage. Maybe we should start playing it with the risk?

What are the game dynamics for your groups? We tend to do a lot of talking, so even on "current player/admiral chooses" cards, we discuss the best course of action and advise them of it. Same thing would occur with executive orders. I guess it handicaps cylons, preventing them from making intentional "mistakes" to sabotage, but I don't know if I'd enjoy the game without arguing/discussing/shouting.

Endaro on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    I've noticed everyone seems to play such that executive orders simply give the ability (move and act or 2 actions) to the player of your choice. Our group usually plays it like an actual order, in that you use it on a player and tell them what they have to do. Are we doing it wrong? It doesn't really say explicitly in the cards, but I'm thinking our method makes it an overpowered card without any drawbacks. A low strength card that effectively gives you two free turns at no disadvantage. Maybe we should start playing it with the risk?

Yeah, you can make suggestions, but it's ultimately the target's call as to what to do with those actions. Otherwise it's super OP. The way it normally works is something like
    Brigged Guy: "I'm stuck in the Brig, but Baltar can go to FTL control and jump us out of this mess! XO on Baltar, go to FTL and jump us."
    Baltar: "I play Arrest Order on the Admiral, then reveal as a Cylon."
    Brigged Guy: "Well, frak."

antherem on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Endaro wrote: »

First time I've heard of the quorum card thing, we never draw that many in our games. You'll get a better feel for what quorum cards exist as you go, and holding on to too many draws suspicion. Morale is one of the most important resources and he has to have gotten a speech by now, why is he wasting turns drawing so many instead of playing them etc. Also, if you vote the president off Roslin, don't put it on Baltar of all people. He has higher odds of being a cylon.

In other news...

What are the game dynamics for your groups? We tend to do a lot of talking, so even on "current player/admiral chooses" cards, we discuss the best course of action and advise them of it. Same thing would occur with executive orders. I guess it handicaps cylons, preventing them from making intentional "mistakes" to sabotage, but I don't know if I'd enjoy the game without arguing/discussing/shouting.

Yeah, it's hard to go against the group with obvious choice cards. Sometimes there's arguments, but not often. If you wanna manipulate stuff, play Roslin, Boomer, or be Admiral for destinations.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    StilesStiles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys! It's been far easier to keep an eye on the president now that we know what we're doing a bit more, and the situation of the President getting all the Quorum cards hasn't come up again. (In fact, we played a game where the only card drawn was the one the President at the beginning of the game...this game can be really hectic sometimes...)

At any rate, I was hoping you guys could explain something for me that came up last time? My apologies if this has been explained before, 117 pages is a lot to wade through..

Okay, here's the situation: a skill check comes up on a crisis, someone plays an investigative committee on it, and then Chief uses his OPG on it -

One-Time Ability: Blind Devotion - Once per game, after cards have been added to a Skill Check (but before revealing them), you may choose a skill type. All cards of the chosen type are considered strength 0.

to make all cards of type X be zero and fail the check. Except it specifically says "before revealing them" you may choose the skill type to be zero. The problem we ran into was that the cards are already revealed, and so the Chief can just wait until everyone contributes and then auto-fail the check, making his OPG just as powerful as Boomers. The humans were obviously against this saying it was not allowed, and the Cylons were for it.

How does this work exactly? Can Chief's OPG work with an IC on it? Or does it have to be checks you can't see? (thus the blind in blind devotion?)

On an unrelated note, I find it most enjoyable to read up on the old pbp threads you guys have of BSG. However, everyone seems to love to put CYLONS/HUMANS WIN!!!!! in the title, thus ruining the ending of the game and making me raeg.

Stiles on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just for you, I'll go back through and edit my threads to a simple GAME OVER.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aha! Much obliged. And after a bit of searching, I found the FAQ. Should be helpful for future games :P

Stiles on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think this news should boost this thread back to the first page:
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Exodus a new expansion to the Battlestar Galactica board game announced
    http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1696

No new locations [STRIKE]or playable characters[/STRIKE], but the ability to add NPCs who can be influenced to help or harm the humans, plus new agenda-style human loyalty cards and a deeper cylon fleet mechanic.

Not what I was expecting, but I'd be interested to see it in play...

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    New cards for all the decks, too. Wonder who the new characters are?

Do we need a new thread at some point? 117 is an awful lot of pages. I'll volunteer, though I won't be able to flesh it out much past Gandalf's fine OP until later today.

antherem on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heheh, big smile from me here. Almost thought it wasn't coming. I don't know where you're getting the "no new... playable characters" from, but the first part of the information page suggests that there will be a new set of player characters in the first section. There's also new locations and a CAG title card noted in the second section.

I was originally thinking T. Foster, F. Gaeta, S. Anders, S. Cottle, and D. Biers as new characters, but I'm not as certain, seeing the box profiles. But it does seem like this might be a final expansion for the game, and if there's any characters left to include as main playables, it's these five. Then again, there could be room for one more after this...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting the "no new... playable characters" from

Oh hey, I missed the part about new characters. Or maybe assumed they were talking about the NPCs. Seems like there are plenty of playable characters to choose from even if you have a bunch of NPCs, though, so let's go with assuming we get both PCs and NPCs this time. Thanks for pointing that out, Mr. B!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I made a new thread for the new expansion, and so we don't get shut down for being 17 pages into the Twilight Zone.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Just for you, I'll go back through and edit my threads to a simple GAME OVER.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice this since I had posted immediately after you. That's pretty thoughtful of you, thanks a lot =D
    I've been thinking of getting up a list of all the games played thus far for the first page to be updated; I read up some pbp games during the slower periods at work on my phone. I've yet to do so though.

EDIT: I totally just found the CF PbP guide you have. Don't mind me. Still a newb :P

And a new expansion! Sounds interesting...and this winter even. That's not far at all. I wonder if this will be the last since they say "humanity may finally conquer the Cylons..."

Stiles on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if this will be the last since they say "humanity may finally conquer the Cylons..."

Depends on how many copies they sell, I'd imagine. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg