As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For the Silent Hill fans...

ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
Okay, so my first piece of artwork that I posted here didn't get much praise (understatement), so instead, I'm going to try showcasing a work I've done completely in Photoshop.

Me and a few pals of mine in my Video/Film class have decided to make a fan film based around the Silent Hill universe. Much like the games, it will be its own self-contained story, have lots of nods/homages to the games themselves, character refrences, thematic similarities, and the trademark fog and "otherworld", but will weave its own original story. I am currently penning the screenplay and handling most of the camera work.

Anyways, this is a mock-up of a very basic poster design idea I had. The first act of the film takes place in a high school, and I took the liberty of photographing my own school (which will also be the filming location) for the poster's shot. I added the fog and text later in Photoshop. Let me know what you guys think.

SilentHillHarmonicIncubus-1.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
--John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
Zephonate on

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Zephonate wrote:
    Okay, so my first piece of artwork that I posted here didn't get much praise (understatement), so instead, I'm going to try showcasing a work I've done completely in Photoshop.

This is a wonderful idea!

It's very easy to tell that the fog was added as a filter. Were the area really foggy, the roof of that lower building wouldn't be so well lit.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kazhiim wrote:
    It's very easy to tell that the fog was added as a filter. Were the area really foggy, the roof of that lower building wouldn't be so well lit.

Point taken about the lower roof. Was the comment that it was a good idea sarcasm or serious?

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Disregardable is what it is

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah...the entire photo is lighted with sunlight and covered in fog. That doesn't work...and if you can't take a photo with fog, how will you film with fog?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Silent Hill: Adjective Noun!

It's a really common type of title. I'd reccommend finding something else!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Just keeping in tradition with the series. :P

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    This is bad. I refuse to give any other crit because it's so damn awful.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanks. Real helpful.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Zephonate wrote:
    Thanks. Real helpful.

Do something more than typing on top of a photo and I will be more helpful.

Grifter on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Woah man, two topics?

Bad form Jack; bad form.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Okay, it's not really bad. But it's not unique or really witty ^^'

But I'd say it'll do for a commercial poster. Maybe you could manipulate the photo to make it look more like Silent Hill which is really sleazy and ghost town like.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As a Silent Hill fan, I have to admit colossal disappointment D:

While the text and the fog are certainly appropriate (though I much prefer the the ultraentropic otherworld environment), and you get bonus points for using your own photography, I'll be damned if this isn't a painfully boring poster. It's not so much that there's anything glaringly wrong with it so much as it is simple to the point of blandness. As Grifter mentioned, it really just looks like you slapped text over a photograph and called it good, which is lame.

Your first mistake was using a prefabricated font and doing absolutely nothing to it to make it look less prefabricated--there are too many repeated letters (making the fact that you used a font very obvious) in the text to get away with leaving it as it is. If you're not going to go through the trouble of creating the letters yourself, at least tamper with them enough to make them look remotely original, or at least not so obviously repetitive.

And on a similar note, it probably wouldn't have hurt to try to imitate the style of the text used in SH related print/packaging/etc. I realize that the font you used is a SH font, but said font is never used for the actual words Silent Hill, which ought to look as such (<--this is a link, by the way).

Your second mistake was adding the fog (which looks fine to me) and stopping there. Even if your text was a little more inspired, it would still be a pretty boring text-on-picture poster. You've got all KINDS of brush textures and blending options at your disposal with Photoshop, this would definitely benefit from some extra distressing. Look at sommore actual Silent Hill material for reference and get to experimenting, or look for tutorials on the internets. I'm sure there are fucktons, as people tend to dig that grungy look.

Seriously, though. That bit in my last critique about posting in the doodle thread?

Yeah.

Lexx KYSDS on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    Zephonate wrote:
    Thanks. Real helpful.

Do something more than typing on top of a photo and I will be more helpful.

Yes, putting scary text on a picture is hardly a creative endevour...

Lexxy pointed out some important issues. I agree with all of them, especially the one about the font. Establishing a font heirachy would help improve future works. You already used a scary font at the top... you don't need to use it at the bottom as well.

This is the equivalent of writing everything in bold. If everything is in bold... it's kind of hard to determine what word is more important that the other. The title is always more important. Using a diffrent font at the bottom is a good idea.

Also, the top text is way to close to the edge. Not only does it look bad, it's also not functional. Should this be a real poster the top text could get cut off at the press or be hidden by a frame.

Another problem I'm seeing is that the poster is tall... you make it seem taller than it is by having all those vertical elements on it. This in itself is not a problem... what makes it an eye sore is that it''s so empty!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All of your stuff would benefit from more attention to detail, and I don't mean add lots of little details, I mean try harder.

Nothing you've shown really smacks of effort.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zephonate wrote:

Just keeping in tradition with the series. :P
    What?

We have Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, and Silent Hill 4: The Room.

Only one has a subtitle, and it's an article and a noun, not an adjective and a noun.

I can't believe I'm arguing this

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nothing you've shown really smacks of effort.

Now that's a phrase I don't hear nearly often enough.

Lexx KYSDS on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    As usual, thank you for the critique, Lexx. It is much appreciated, and very helpful.

The comments regarding putting more effort into my work are very valid. I threw this thing together in about twenty minutes with just a very basic idea in my head. Had I spent more time on it, and gone for the "dark world" side of Silent Hill, it may have turned out better.

For the record: I never claimed this piece to be good. I simply asked for opinions.

P.S. To address the adjective/noun argument, I was more referring to the "Restless Dreams" and "Born from a Wish" scenarios in Silent Hill 2.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, you're working on it again?

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zephonate wrote:
    P.S. To address the adjective/noun argument, I was more referring to the "Restless Dreams" and "Born from a Wish" scenarios in Silent Hill 2.
    It still sucks, and you should still change it.

"Harmonic Incubus" sounds like a Boards of Canada song, not a horror movie.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How about:

SILENT HILL
    Hills of Silence

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Personally, I thought Harmonic Incubus sounded more like a bad Castlevania subtitle.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Your school looks cool.

The poster would is fine for a high school production, you may even get several "Wow, that's awesome!"s. People here look at it with a much more critical eye (which you requested). As has been already covered, it's a pretty boring and bland poster. However, were I familiar with the school and saw it in that context it might resonate a bit more. Points for that.

capnrico on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    silentvb9.th.jpg

I don't rate this as much better, mostly I just played around with filters and other photoshop doodads, I didn't change the font although the advice given to you on that was already pretty sound. Basically I just changed things around to create a more fitting atmosphere, bit darker and more gritty among other things.

Thats mostly what bothered me about it was the picture just looked bland it didn't evoke anything in me.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dude, even though you didn't do much to it, that looks LOADS better.

Lexx KYSDS on
  • Options
    PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, tiny details add a bit. Just go to any photoshop brush site and grab as many "Grunge" brushes you can, and twirl them and slap them on a layer behind the letters, but don't go overboard. The easiest way to add some, well, plain old weight to a picture is to add a lot of small details, background elements. As said before, non-repeatitive font, grungy look.

Horror film posters are deceptively simple. Shocking image, movie title, little blurb. You've got everything there, sans blurb, but it's missing a lot of creativity. You could try looking at other horror posters to see what they're doing.

I'd use a closer picture of the school/building, i'm sure you could make it look a lot more imposing and menacing than what it looks like now, "hey it's a foggy day mansion".

ninja edit.

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png