As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying a computer with no OS

oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Taxes are coming back. I need to spend some. I wish to get a new tower for PC gaming, or build one. I noticed some places sell towers with no operating system. This is my first time even considering the idea of that.

Am I currect to assume my current windows XP registration code will work on it though?

orbit.gif
oaklore on

• DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the way it works is 1 registration code = 1 computer installed.

You might have to uninstall xp on your current computer in order to use it on the new one.

Dman on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is your current computer one you built yourself, or is it a name brand (like a Dell or HP or something)? Did you buy XP separately, or did it come with your old PC? Do you have the XP disc?

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Is your current computer one you built yourself, or is it a name brand (like a Dell or HP or something)? Did you buy XP separately, or did it come with your old PC? Do you have the XP disc?

Actually after you install XP and put in the code it will tell you to contact microsoft, and it will give you a 12 (I think) digit number.

You call microsoft and they ask why the change.

Just say "I had some hardware failures and had to replace my mainboard, which also has my sound and ethernet devices built in"

They will say okay, and give you another code and update the hash value in their database.

(the activation code will then only work for the new machine, and your old xp machine can be considered piracy if you try and use it and they notice)

dispatch.o on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    AtomBomb wrote: »

Actually after you install XP and put in the code it will tell you to contact microsoft, and it will give you a 12 (I think) digit number.

You call microsoft and they ask why the change.

Just say "I had some hardware failures and had to replace my mainboard, which also has my sound and ethernet devices built in"

They will say okay, and give you another code and update the hash value in their database.

(the activation code will then only work for the new machine, and your old xp machine can be considered piracy if you try and use it and they notice)

That's for a retail bought copy. Technically, if you have a computer from HP, Dell, etc. that license is for that computer only and is not to be used on anything else. When that computer dies, that license is also dead.

If it is a store bought copy, yes, just call Microsoft after installing it on your new machine (and reformatting your old one) and explain your situation. They will re-activate it. This only takes like 10 minutes.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright. Ty guys.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif