As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phantom Brave: We Meet Again (Wiimake) | US Release this week!

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
pbrave-thumb.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/17/phantom-brave-wii-meet-again/

So this is easily one of my favorite NIS Strategy RPGs. Combat is weird, but the story is excellent.

If some Wii owners never experienced it, this is the best opportunity.
NIS America confirmed what we all suspected — they are bringing the Wii version of Phantom Brave here. The only thing that might catch you off guard is how soon the game is coming. Phantom Brave gets released in Japan on March 12. Phantom Brave: We Meet Again arrives in North America three months later in June.

Since this is a PS2 to Wii port, Phantom Brave: We Meet Again is mostly the same game. There are some new features like a redesigned user interface, new story chapters, extra characters, and more skills/items for returning players. I’m still not sure if this is enough stuff to tempt people to give Phantom Brave a second go, though.

pb21.jpg

For the unfamiliar, Phantom Brave uses a 'free range' movement system, totally unlike Disgaea/La Pucelle's grid system.

pb15-thumb.jpg

Also, the only 'normal' character is Marona, who confines phantoms to objects on the field. After that, they only remain in play for three or four turns before vanishing for the remainder of the level.

It's certainly different, but it's fun once you get used to it.

pb-4.jpg

Here's hoping it won't be redubbed, because the original had great voice work.

pb7-thumb.jpg

Despite outside appearances, it also had a fairly serious(and really good) story.

pb-6.jpg

Also,

ch730018478pa9.gif

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never could find it for the PS2.

Now to get it for Wii.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PSYCHO BURGANDY!

This is awesome news.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, I know, gameplay and all, and I'm aware of NIS's style, but goddamn those are ugly screens.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Okay, I know, gameplay and all, and I'm aware of NIS's style, but goddamn those are ugly screens.

It looks better in motion.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Red GearRed Gear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As glad as I am to see NIS (one of my favorite developers) port Phantom Brave over to the Wii, I have to ask, Why PB? Wouldnt Disgaea 2 be a better bet, especially considering the recent port of the first Disgaea to the DS. I already own Phantom Brave, but I'm probably going to buy this to check out the new stuff, try out a srpg with wii controls, but mostly contribute to sales. I'm hoping this is NIS testing the waters to see if they should put start releasing more stuff with nintendo. I live Disgaea 3 and all (I'm actually still working on my file in it)... but it really feels sort of wasted being a PS3exclusive...

Red Gear on
    Gon_v3_cvr_300.jpg

BRAWL FC: 0516 6975 3419
    Pokeymanz FC:5327 6840 5195
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm a little disappointed this isn't going to the PSP instead, but I guess they figure the Wii remote + Phantom Brave's sphere grid system was a more natural fit.

And curse them for putting Disgaea 3 on the PS3. I love the series, but not that much.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's $49.99 - why the hell is it $49.99?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2009
    Hopefully it's just a starter game to get them used to the Wii before jumping ship. Honestly... N1 would probably still be happy to make PS2 games. The PS3 is just... bleh.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arde wrote: »

Be thankful. It's $70 in Japan.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Protip: the grainy ones are from PS2. Look at the button on the bottom picture.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shouldn't that be Phantom Brave: Wii Meet Again?
    Please don't hurt me :cry:
    Red Gear wrote: »
    As glad as I am to see NIS (one of my favorite developers) port Phantom Brave over to the Wii, I have to ask, Why PB? Wouldnt Disgaea 2 be a better bet, especially considering the recent port of the first Disgaea to the DS. I already own Phantom Brave, but I'm probably going to buy this to check out the new stuff, try out a srpg with wii controls, but mostly contribute to sales. I'm hoping this is NIS testing the waters to see if they should put start releasing more stuff with nintendo. I live Disgaea 3 and all (I'm actually still working on my file in it)... but it really feels sort of wasted being a PS3exclusive...

I think the gridless point-and-click movement system in PB lends itself far better to the Wii than Disgaea's square grids.

I'm excited! Sort of. This IS my favorite NIS game after Disgaea, but is there any word on whether or not there will be new stuff? As much as I think it's a really good choice for a Wiimake, I've already played it....

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Arde wrote: »

Be thankful. It's $70 in Japan.

I think you missed the point. It's a port of a game that is five years old, so some people are going to wonder why it's priced a good bit higher than other ports that have been released on the Wii.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will be buying the shit outta this game.

If it actually comes out over here.

Rotam on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is one I missed out on last gen, so I'm at least a little interested.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »

pb21.jpg

This is a Wii screen, then, yes? The sharper character portrait only makes the pixellated characters even more terrible. I know, it will invariably look slightly better in motion—all Nintendo games too—but seriously.

The gridless system does seem to be a good fit for the Wiimote IR pointing, but a full-priced port of a years-old game is really pushing the limit. My NIS experience began and ended with Disgaea, barring a terrible brief moment with La Pucelle—does the gridless aspect actually work well?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hooray?

I mean, I love Nippon Ichi and everything, but it's getting harder and harder to justify re-buying the same games again and again.

Walnut is my hero, though so I'll probably end up buying this anyhow. <3

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the gridless movement system since it invalidated the standard SRPG strategy of surrounding one enemy on four or eight sides, knocking them dead, and then moving on to the next enemy. There's also more variety in spell range and area-of-effect, giving you more opportunity to use different spells for different situations.

The main quest was kind of easy, though, and as with the other NIS games that I've played, I didn't feel like grinding to ridiculous levels just to access the post-story content.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

And curse them for putting Disgaea 3 on the PS3. I love the series, but not that much.

Yeah, I'll never understand that decision unless Sony paid them to put it there, and why would Sony do that?

Seems the people behind the Persona series had the right idea.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Hopefully it's just a starter game to get them used to the Wii before jumping ship. Honestly... N1 would probably still be happy to make PS2 games. The PS3 is just... bleh.

This, probably. I just can't imagine Nippon Ichi being able to afford the high dev costs for the PS3. So, they test the waters with a port on the Wii. If it pans out, maybe future NI games show up there.

I won't be buying this as I already own it, but I would not mind them shifting from the PS2 to the Wii. I'm still waiting to hear what Atlus is doing with the SMT/Persona series once they finally cease with PS2 development.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This thread reminds me that I haven't even finished Phantom Brave on the PS2 yet... Don't get me wrong, I actually LOVE this game. It's just the psp has spoiled me a bit when it comes to strat rpg's, so I haven't gotten around to it. *
    But yeah, in the game itself, on the PS2 anyways, the sprites look really good. I'm not sure why the screenshots look so odd. Eh well.

EDIT- Okay, that and I've been deep into the MMO world of Mabinogi. >_> . So finishing up anything is kinda a challenge...

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For a time, it was fairly easy to find used copies of the PS2 version for around $15. Charging $50 for a slightly enhanced port is insane.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For a time, it was fairly easy to find used copies of the PS2 version for around $15. Charging $50 for a slightly enhanced port is insane.

Yeah, I just got a used copy of the PS2 version for 150 Goozex points. Came with the soundtrack and manual, all in mint condition, too.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd consider it for 20 or 30, 50 is too much for a game I already own.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks like a PS3 game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009

pb21.jpg

This is a Wii screen, then, yes? The sharper character portrait only makes the pixellated characters even more terrible. I know, it will invariably look slightly better in motion—all Nintendo games too—but seriously.

Yeah, their character sprites are pretty bad, and.. why are his pants pure white on some spots? o_O

It almost looks like they added a weird smoothing filter to the sprites on the Wii version which makes them look worse.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks like a PS3 game.

Hahahahahahaha

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's looking a bit off, but the game is solid. Like all the Nippon Ichi stuff, though, I feel like the power-leveling element detracts from the actual strategy.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Love the game, but the port graphics are looking shit ATM. Hoping it's bad jpg compression? Please?

And that cover is shit, taking the focus away from Marona boooo

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Supposedly the images released by N1 were .gifs, so yeah, bad image compression.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Supposedly the images released by N1 were .gifs, so yeah, bad image compression.

Houk needs to hunt down the man responsible and deliver a swift kick to the groin.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Houk needs to hunt down the man responsible and deliver a swift kick to the groin.

No, Houk.

You are the men responsible.

And then Houk was a marketer.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Looks like a PS3 game.

Hahahahahahaha

disgaea3oct27037.jpg

To be fair, the PS3 game is a BIT crisper.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When the hell do you have that battle?

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KiTA on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dont look at me for press release stuff! i proofread the newsletter and thats it! i dont even SEE the screenshots, i swear!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Houk wrote: »
    dont look at me for press release stuff! i proofread the newsletter and thats it! i dont even SEE the screenshots, i swear!

it's okay houk, I just used your name because you're our resident NISA employee that I know

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So this should be shipping today or tomorrow. Anyone ready for failure dungeons?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, their character sprites are pretty bad, and.. why are his pants pure white on some spots? o_O

He's animating. I believe he's either sparkling or he's turning all translucent. They do that. Usually when shouting out a haiku. It's a Phantom Brave thing.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ... Apparently this was pushed back to September or October?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    From what I'm reading, it should have been released today. According to ShackNews and NIS, the most recent delay was a three day one, from the August 11th to August 14th.

Dizzen on