As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DifferentName's Sketch Dump

DifferentNameDifferentName CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
I've noticed that there are a lot of good artists on here, and that some of you seem to be pretty good/brutal with your critiques, so I thought i'd post some of my stuff on here. I mostly just sketch, so i'm sure i could use some work on anything involved in a complete piece of art, but what do you think of what i've got?

Some characters
Scan_6c.jpgScan_5c.jpg

Agent3b.jpgAgent4.jpg
Agent1b.jpg

Scarred2b.jpgScarred1b.jpgScarred3.jpg

Shake3b.jpgScan_7.jpgShake1b.jpgShake4.jpg

I was planning on making something where people go into a colorful virtual reality.
Hacker5.jpgHacker3b.jpgHacker4b.jpg
Hacker1b.jpgHacker2b.jpg

CircleProgram.jpgCircleProgram2.jpg
color8.jpgcolor1.jpg
color9.jpgcolor4.jpg

Hair2.jpgHair3.jpgScan_9b.jpg

Plans for a game.
Scan_13b.jpgScan_14.jpg
Scan_18d.jpgScan_17b.jpg
Scan_18b.jpgScan_18c.jpgScan_17c.jpg
Monsters.jpg

Vehicles for the game:
Scan_16d.jpgScan_20.jpg
Scan_16c.jpg

And here's some random crap
Scan_8b.jpgScan_11b.jpgScan_11c.jpg
Scan_4.jpgWizardSmall.jpg

DifferentName on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What do you think

I think you've got a lot of doodles. Some of these show a decent basic sense of movement, but otherwise they're mostly pretty crude and would benefit a lot from refinement of your technical approach.

None of these look like they couldn't have been made in a matter of minutes--not that art is judged by how long it takes to make, but it would be more helpful for us to get a better sense of the extrema of what you can do if you spend some time and made a finished drawing.

One thing you can stop doing right now though is smudging graphite all over your page. You aren't using it to any intelligent end and it just looks like you dropped your sketchbook in the dirt or something.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    :^:

I like your style.

The only sour notes I'm seeing are the over-arched back on one of your gun-armed heavies, and that the gritted teeth in panel one a giant grid, consuming the entirety of the man-in-black's lower jaw.

I agree that they are coming across grimy, I'd really like to see some of these done up in nice clean inks.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Everybody is brooding all of the time. That's what I got from this. Like Scos said, they are all simple doodles, I don't really know what I would crit. Spend more time on things to see what your capable off, and try not to make everyone looking downward brooding?

Shiboe on
  • Options
    spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's what I like: Your drawings are expressive. You have some good stick figures - which is a compliment, as they're the base of any good drawing.

I've been told if you want to be a good artist, you have to draw a variety of things. See if you can draw happy people or animals. Alternatively, take your sketches to the next level, drawing them bigger and cleaning up the outlines.

Keep at it.

spellchrome on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They've definately got a good sense of movement, which is a hard thing to learn. But they are doodles, i'd like to see something that you've spent a few hours on.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I guess it really has been a long time since i've spent a significant amount of time on any individual drawing. I've always kind of been geared more towards drawing small, so i'm sure i'll need some practice with drawing big enough to get more details in on my drawings. Like, how the bigger i draw, the more likely i am to lose track of the proportion, and to lose the qualities that work in the smaller drawings. It's something i need to work on though.

Also, i do most of my drawing in a tiny sketchbook during my breaks at work, which again kind of lends itself to small sketches. But i should try doing something more complete. I guess I didn't realize how long it's been since i've spent a few hours on an individual drawing.

DifferentName on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i think you have good concepts. But obviously they're let down by the unfinished doodle look. Spend more time on them.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm still just sketching during my breaks at work, but i'm trying to throw in a little more detail and some shading.

masked.bmp

gunArm.bmp

By the way, this character from before is a cyborg, and his jaw is metal, so i always draw his teeth exposed... but i kept the grid thing in mind while trying to figure out how a metalic jaw might look with a little more realism, rather than the cartoony grid.
    cyborgAgent.bmpcyborgAgent2.bmp
    robotArm.bmp

I find it easier to draw the same characters, especially when i'm trying to think about moving towards drawing something a little more complete. When trying to come up with an idea, the tiny drawings are helpful for brainstorming. Of course, sometimes some weird thing comes out of nowhere.

DifferentName on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I added a little color to one of the picuters.

cyborgAgent2b.jpg

DifferentName on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i really enjoy that masked fella

Projeck on